PDA

View Full Version : RAF Rattlesden - USAAF Station 126

FAC257
March 31st, 2010, 19:09
I just put the finishing touches on RAF Rattlesden - USAAF Station 126, home of the 447th Bomb Group.

I've never done an airport before and was originally going to start my learning experience on the little one runway, one building airport just south of me. Instead it turned into wanting a proper airfield to fly from in the new A2A B-17G, <!--mstheme-->"Scheherazade".

I'll try to get it up tomorrow afternoon. It's a little late, and my head hurts from worrying if I got everything right. :)

FAC257<!--mstheme--><!--mstheme-->

falcon409
March 31st, 2010, 19:11
Very nice. . .I especially like the way you fit the Airport Boundary layer in with the surrounding area. . .really matches nicely. Well Done!!:salute:

FAC257
March 31st, 2010, 19:22
Thanks Falcon!

That was one of the things I spent the most time on. Since I don't really understand working with airport backgrounds yet, it was the best way I could think of to camoflage my lack of experience. :)

FAC257

Snuffy
March 31st, 2010, 19:31
Looks good Forrest ... :)

Where'd ya get your ordinance stores, and other building objects?

FAC257
March 31st, 2010, 19:50
Snuffy

Other than the default FSX trucks, all of the building objects come from the WWII Object Libraries by IanP and Ted Andrews. You'll need to down load and install those also, if you don't already have them from another WWII airbase scenery.

FAC257

GypsyBaron
March 31st, 2010, 23:18
Very nice. . .I especially like the way you fit the Airport Boundary layer in with the surrounding area. . .really matches nicely. Well Done!!:salute:

Yes, and that is really a time consuming task. I had some experience doing that for my Tokol scenery
and it is a challenge!

I'm looking forward to this addition as a base for my B-17 missions to Germany :)

Paul

FAC257
April 2nd, 2010, 16:21
I finally got everything packaged up and just sent her up to the SOH Library. I was surprised to see that its already available.

Hope you like it and that you can't spot too many rookie airport guy mistakes. :)

Below are a few more shots around the facility.

FAC

AussieMan
April 3rd, 2010, 14:33
Is it possible to post a link. Can't seem to find it on SOH.

Cheers
Pat

GypsyBaron
April 3rd, 2010, 14:54
Is it possible to post a link. Can't seem to find it on SOH.

Cheers
Pat

Look under "What's new" or you could just try this:
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?action=jump&catid=4&id=276

:)

Paul

AussieMan
April 3rd, 2010, 19:10
thanks Paul.

Cheers
Pat

FAC257
April 4th, 2010, 13:42
Okay guys a lot of learning on my part has gone on in the last several hours. As a result, I've just uploaded a new version to the library. "RAF Rattlesden -Station 126 (version 2)".

IanP was kind enough to look over my creation and tried to find the wayward Tower View for me. Well he did! Somehow the darn thing ended up about 70KM to the East of the airfield. The Tower View has now been restored to its rightful place directly over the actual control tower in the scenery.

He also gave me some pointers on improving the AI routine and in ARP location protocol. Both of which I followed and corrected.

Lastly, but most importantly, I had not realized that some of the airport objects that my scenery were calling on were not part of Ted or Ian's WII scenery objects. They are actually Bill Womak creations and part of his "RAF WWII buildings" object package. Bill has also kindly given me permission to reference to them in the scenery. I must have installed them as part of Ian's RAF Wormingford scenery and naturally thought they were Ian's.

For now I would just suggest installing one of Ian's creations that have the "RAF WWII buildings" library included.
You'll know very quickly if you don't, as the two main hangers in my scenery won't appear.

The readme in this newer version has been updated to reflect the new improvments and added the appropriate credits for Bill's work.

If you DL the new version, you can simply overwrite the three older .bgl files and you will be good to go.

Blame it all on rookie airport designer progression. I definitely took a baby step upward in the last several hours.

Special thanks to IanP and Spotlope for the support.

FAC

A shot of the restored Tower View. Approach to Rwy 05 with the Bomb Stores in the background.

txnetcop
April 4th, 2010, 19:18
Hey Forest great work here. This is very much appreciated buddy
Ted
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">