PDA

View Full Version : Rough flight with weather and PNW scenery..trim or not to trim...

limjack
March 31st, 2010, 08:12
I figured this was going to be a rough flight to Mt. Baker. Thunderstorms, turbulence, wind and rain but managed to find Mt. Baker in the end. I loved the look of the storms as well as rising out of it in the end to see Mt. Baker. Question, when flying in weather such as this without auto pilot do I stay away from trim? The reason I ask of course is because I was getting rocked everywhere and trim did not seem to help.

Jim

spotlope
March 31st, 2010, 08:33
Trim can still help, even in vicious weather - at least in the real world. In the sim, I find sometimes it's not very useful when you're bouncing all around.

limjack
April 1st, 2010, 06:12
Ya, I wasn't sure what to do but hang onto the yoke and keep correcting. Even though I had my hands full it was a great flight.

JIm

bstolle
April 1st, 2010, 06:25
IRL even in a heavy like the 767, if it get's really bumpy, I mean REALLY severe turbulence, you don't trim, you don't change the powersetting and you don't even try to hold the altitude you just try to keep the attitude.
If the plane was set up for straight and level flight before, it's the best thing not to make any significant changes.
Otherwise you have no feedback what the straight and level setting was and you might end up being seriously mistrimmed sooner or later.

warchild
April 1st, 2010, 21:57
and we've had weather here lately thats even surprised us. winds like you wouldnt believe. definately no place for a small GA plane to be, but, if you get caught n that stuff then get down in the valleys between the ridges so the wind blows over you.. GPS can help you navigate, and by all means, use trim..

peter12213
April 2nd, 2010, 03:25
What cloud settings are you using in REX2? those clouds look great!

txnetcop
April 2nd, 2010, 04:36
If you have ever flown near mountainous territory during even mild, turbulent weather you set your best possible trim and hang on to that yoke...it's gonna get bouncy.
Ted
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

bstolle
April 2nd, 2010, 05:31
.....if you get caught n that stuff then get down in the valleys between the ridges so the wind blows over you..

Don't know the mountains in the U.S. but once you get below the ridges in the Alps then you are in a really bad situation, as you are now in an area with extreme downdrafts which easily extend down to the valley floor etc...

MudMarine
April 2nd, 2010, 05:47
Hands on the yoke! Trying to trim all the time in turbs drives me nuts!