PDA

View Full Version : FSX SP2, FSGenisis

ColoKent
November 8th, 2008, 19:52
Here's a scenery question:

Why are many of my major airports in FSX sitting on buttes when I get close to the airport....like this shot of the AS Hunter beating up KCOS (Colorado Springs). I live in Colorado Springs, and I can assure you that the airport is not on a butte. And I see at other places too.

And yet, when I fly between 1/2 to a mile from the airport, the butte disappears.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on?

Check it out:

www2.snapfish.com/viewsharedphoto/p=53881226206609530/l=446675208/g=150020610/otsc=SYE/otsi=SPIC

Does anyone know what is causing this?

Thanks!

Kent :banghead:

MCDesigns
November 8th, 2008, 20:03
2 possibilities. if it is disappearing on you, do you have any old FS9 AFCAD files for these airports as the elevation is different between the sims in some cases.

With FSGenisis, it is a known fact that the actuaal elevation of the addon mesh is different than what MS has and it creates this effect. The elevation of the airport ground takes priority over the addon mesh. The newer version of the FSX mesh allows for this and actually fixes it a bit.

ColoKent
November 8th, 2008, 20:08
...does someone build better mesh than Genesis?

K.

P.S. And yes all of my mesh is FS9 (I think)

MCDesigns
November 8th, 2008, 20:17
It's not a matter of better mesh, it's just that the source files used to create the mesh are more up to date/detailed than the info MS used. With the new FSX mesh from FSGenesis, it's probably the best you can get to fix this issue. What the new version does is it basically punches a hole in the data around the airport so that when the mesh is applied, you get a better effect other than the sharp plateaus you get now.

JimC1702
November 9th, 2008, 04:58
Have you downloaded the version 2 mesh files from FSGenesis? Justin re-did the files to eliminate the airports on plateaus and in basins. Works well. My home airport always sat on a plateau, now it's flat, just like real life.

Jim