PDA

View Full Version : GEX Europa Is Worth Every Penny!

peter12213
March 30th, 2010, 16:28
I bought GEX earlier and personally I think its absolutely amazing and I'm only running it on a XP Home SP3, Intel Pentium 4, CPU 2.80Ghz, 1.5GB RAM, NVidia GeForce 7600! I Highly reccomend it if you havent got it. Its Great! :salute:

Matt Wynn
March 30th, 2010, 16:54
Peter can you go to LGKO and fly northeast along the islands mountain (Mount. Dikeos) spine and take pics of the left side of the island (And the right) that'll be the real defining moment for me, all i have is Ultimate terrain Europe so i'm wondering if this'll make that even better... cheers if you can buddy!

peter12213
March 31st, 2010, 00:20
I will do bud when I get back from work!

Dimus
March 31st, 2010, 00:43
Hey Smoothie, I have both UTX Europe and GEX Eu. I personally find the GEX textures excellent. However, it is up to the landclass to call them correctly. I have seen that the Aegean islands do not look very good but this is not a GEX issue, it is a landclass issue, combined with the fact that FSX defines the middle of the Aegean sea as the limit between Asia and Europe (I wonder why :mad:). This causes Asia textures to show in the islands.

I believe I have flown above Kos after GEX and it looked nice. I'll try to take some pics for you this evening.

Otherwise the rest of the Greek mainland and the Ionian islands looks really nice with GEX EU and UTX EU:

The bay of Kalamata:
http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii181/VDimus/fsx2009-11-2619-33-19-71.jpg

The plains of Sparti looking southwest:
http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii181/VDimus/fsx2009-11-2622-45-44-35.jpg

Typical southern Greece don't you think?:
http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii181/VDimus/fsx2009-11-2622-49-33-73.jpg

peter12213
March 31st, 2010, 00:48
Can you install UTX over GEX or not? anyone know?

Dimus
March 31st, 2010, 01:12
Of course. And it makes it even better. They work very well together.

GEX is just textures so it replaces FSX default. UTX is vector scenery (roads, rivers, coastlines etc) as well as landclass.

However, UTX also includes some custom textures for industrial areas parking lots and others. GEX also includes some replacement textures for these UTX textures so that they match better. After you install UTX, use the GEX interface and run the UTX option only and you're OK.

Kowalski65
March 31st, 2010, 01:45
http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii181/VDimus/fsx2009-11-2622-45-44-35.jpg

THAT..............IS.......................SPARTII IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:jump::jump:

(sorry,couldn't resist)

Dimus
March 31st, 2010, 02:08
THAT..............IS.......................SPARTII IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:jump::jump:

(sorry,couldn't resist)

LOL!!!

I resisted actually. Thanks for chipping in.:jump:

Matt Wynn
March 31st, 2010, 03:13
ahh yes the plains of Sparti, i do most of my military flying in greece out of Souda AB or Tanagra, for them that don't know, i guess i'd better enlighten them, Tanagra is home to the Greek Airshows (αρχάγγελος 2005 being an example that immediately sprung to mind). And yeah that does look like typical southern Greece, and yeah the aegean between Asia and Europe.... now lets not have a go at the Turks, wrong place to do that, Peter knows what i'm like if that place gets mentioned... Slightly off topic i'm working on some 3D olive trees (2 planes kinda like autogen trees), and i know Aerosoft is revamping their LGKO for FSX... man this is gonna be a good year. :jump:

peter12213
March 31st, 2010, 03:28
Of course. And it makes it even better. They work very well together.

GEX is just textures so it replaces FSX default. UTX is vector scenery (roads, rivers, coastlines etc) as well as landclass.

However, UTX also includes some custom textures for industrial areas parking lots and others. GEX also includes some replacement textures for these UTX textures so that they match better. After you install UTX, use the GEX interface and run the UTX option only and you're OK.

Thanks Demis I shall get UTX also!

Matt Wynn
March 31st, 2010, 03:33
UTX is what i have Peter, i mentioned it to you on our flight and described it as 'must-have' in my opinion :icon_lol:

FLighT01
March 31st, 2010, 03:39
Just waiting for GEX Europe to be released on DVD.

Dimus, are you using an add-on landclass or FSX's?

Dimus
March 31st, 2010, 04:01
Just waiting for GEX Europe to be released on DVD.

Dimus, are you using an add-on landclass or FSX's?

Landclass is UTX. It works quite well for Greece except the eastern islands as mentioned above.

Matt Wynn
March 31st, 2010, 04:05
Landclass is UTX. It works quite well for Greece except the eastern islands as mentioned above.

Why is it that the Aegean always gets overlooked?

*Rant mode on* as long as people don't call Kos, Rhodes,Kalymnos,Leros or any of the other 12 islands 'Mediterranean' they're Aegean, the med starts another 150miles south of Rhodes if i recall and boxes to the tip of southern Mainland Greece... Corfu is not mediterranean either...it's Ionian... *Rant Off*

:icon_lol: anyways Aegean Islands done properly would be very very attractive!

Dimus
March 31st, 2010, 04:18
The best Aegean islands rendition (and all of Greece too) was that done in FS9 by HST (Hellas Scenery Team). I wish they could work for FSX too but all they have done so far is the mesh.

Matt Wynn
March 31st, 2010, 04:36
yeah HST did a great job on the Aegean Islands for FS9 lets hope they do it for FSX...

Cazzie
March 31st, 2010, 04:36
Would not do without each, I have UTX-Europe and GEX-Europe.

Caz

Txmmy83
March 31st, 2010, 08:08
the combination UTX Europe and GEX Europe is nearly unbeatable
what I really like on GEX is the Autogen Placement

BR
Tom

Dimus
March 31st, 2010, 13:36
Well Smoothie, I'm afraid it does not look good. It is an ugly patchwork of default FSX middle east textures and GEX EU textures. The fact that Kos is on the east side of the FSX Europe Asia border does not help.

This is just a bit north od LGKO. The green ones are GEX the desert like ones are FSX default middle east textures:

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii181/VDimus/fsx2010-04-0100-17-48-14.jpg

The right side of the mountain:

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii181/VDimus/fsx2010-04-0100-19-23-07.jpg

The area of the port which is all GEX:

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii181/VDimus/fsx2010-04-0100-22-57-39.jpg

Perhaps it looks better with all default as this mixup of GEX and FSX default textures which are very different is not nice.

Bottom line for me, if you're interested in the eastern Aegean islands only GEX will not help. This is not a fault of GEX but mainly FSX and the lack of a good landclass to cover the islands.

For mainland Greece and the islands closer to the mainland or Ionion, as well as the rest of Europe the GEX UTX combo is excellent imho. Presumably GEX will soon cover Asia and Africa and then the textures will be more compatible.

Matt Wynn
March 31st, 2010, 14:03
lets hope so! *Flies Off to LGTG* think i'll get it ang just keep my flying to the mainland for now, thanks Dimus for the images, Ευχαριστώ πολύ...

Dimus
March 31st, 2010, 14:16
Παρακαλώ φίλε. Καλό Πάσχα!

Come over to LGTT (Tatoi) and you may enjoy a ride in a good old Cessna with my instructor, an ex HAF F-5 and A-7 jokey, and one of the coolest people I ever knew or one of the younger instructors we have at the club who are ex M2000 guys. We often pass by LGTG and exchange chatter on radio with ATC when going north. And the textures are always awesome.:icon_lol:

FLighT01
March 31st, 2010, 14:56

I have Scenery Tech as well as UTX for Europe installed so I'll be interested to see. Even without GEX Europe I really enjoy flying the coastline of Greece, especially the Athens area. The balance of hilly terrain to flat lands to harbor areas has an appeal I don't quite understand myself but do enjoy, always interesting.

Matt Wynn
March 31st, 2010, 16:24
Παρακαλώ φίλε. Καλό Πάσχα!

Come over to LGTT (Tatoi) and you may enjoy a ride in a good old Cessna with my instructor, an ex HAF F-5 and A-7 jokey, and one of the coolest people I ever knew or one of the younger instructors we have at the club who are ex M2000 guys. We often pass by LGTG and exchange chatter on radio with ATC when going north. And the textures are always awesome.:icon_lol:

Might take you up on that offer at somepoint, got to pay a visit to my girl and her parents shortly in Ano Liossia, always fun... but even when things go wrong with my girl i still have FS and i still have Greece, it is after all home :icon_lol: you can take a Man from Greece, but you can never take Greece from a man..

FLighT01, if you like the Athens (Attica is the Region) coastline try Aktion AB, Preveza (LGPZ) if you take off and head between 075 and 150 there are some beautiful mountainous/valley areas, or from Athens head 290 ish over the Corinthian canal at Corinth and check out the Peloponesus (Peleponese Peninsular) shame the Rion-Antirion Bridge is missing... that'd be great to fly over at night with GEX, REX and UTX... wonder if it'd port from the HSP stuff... and Καλό Πάσχα to all I feel (Καλό Πάσχα - Happy Easter, if i remember correctly :icon_lol:)