PDA

View Full Version : I have an MAIW headache!

falcon409
March 30th, 2010, 07:31
As anyone who uses the MAIW packages knows, not all of them are made for FSX. As a matter of fact, many of them are not made for FSX and are still using the FS9 installers and have yet to be converted (and won't be) to FSX standards. That leaves you to follow the 65 page PDF file to go step by step taking each element of the installation package and installing it to a dummy directory, then moving it, converting it, moving it again and then activating it.

All of this, if you didn't skip a page or fall asleep while trying to follow along, is supposed to reward you with AI traffic at your favorite Air Base and across the skies. . . .or not. Mine happens to fall into the latter. . .the NOT category. I've checked the bases and the new AFCADS are visible, but no airplanes, no traffic.

I've verified that the traffic files are in the correct folder, the MAIW specific folders are active in the scenery library, but no traffic, no AI. . .nothing. Has anyone made it through the gauntlet that is the PDF file and come out alive and with working AI traffic? If so, does my scenario sound familiar? If so. . .any suggestions. . .other than starting over? I usually give things like this one chance to work on it's own and then one complimentary try at correcting the problem. If, by that time, it still doesn't work. . .I delete the offending program and go on my merry way. I would like to have Military AI traffic, but I can also live without it.

Bjoern
March 30th, 2010, 07:58
I'm rather wondering what's so complicated about converting those AI packages?

If I guess right, it's just airplanes, flightplans and an AFCAD, so wouldn't the procedure just be dropping the airplanes into whereever you store your FSX AI aircraft, convert the flight plans with AIFPC or else and run the AFCAD through a converter?

falcon409
March 30th, 2010, 09:49
I'm rather wondering what's so complicated about converting those AI packages?

If I guess right, it's just airplanes, flight plans and an AFCAD, so wouldn't the procedure just be dropping the airplanes into wherever you store your FSX AI aircraft, convert the flight plans with AIFPC or else and run the AFCAD through a converter?
Yep, you would be correct in your assumption Bjoern, but for some reason, it doesn't seem to be working out that way, lol.

The Instructions suggest that you do the following:
make a new folder under "SimObjects" for MAIW and place all AI aircraft in that folder
edit the FSX.cfg file to show the addition of that new folder
add the following folders under Addon Scenery: MAIW Scenery-MAIW Excludes-MAIW Landclass-MAIW Airports
All object files, AFCAD's, exclude files and landclass files are moved to those folders and then activated in the Scenery Library
move all the traffic files (after converting to FSX) to the main scenery/world/scenery folder

After all that. . .activated everything in the scenery library, loaded up several airports to check and the only thing showing is the AFCAD. I ran AFX to check for parking spots and all the AFCAD's are showing active parking spots. Not sure why the aircraft are MIA, lol.

Clarke123
March 30th, 2010, 10:19
You're best bet is to head over to the MAIW forums and have a look through their threads about FSX conversion. I've seen a few knocking about concerning different issues and setups so there's bound to be something to help you, if not then try asking them for help with you're problem. With the amount of people that have converted the packages someone will probably have a good idea as to whats up and have an easier way to fix it without a 65 page instruction manual.

guzler
March 30th, 2010, 10:23
I know this may sound daft, but have you checked your spelling in your cfg edit. Can you guess why I am suggesting you check this ? :redf: LOL

falcon409
March 30th, 2010, 10:43
I know this may sound daft, but have you checked your spelling in your cfg edit. Can you guess why I am suggesting you check this ? :redf: LOL
lol, yep, been there before, but in this case, all is well. No misspelled words anywhere. . .everything points in the correct direction.

dexthom
March 30th, 2010, 11:14
I just install the MAIW file to a temp folder and move the various aircraft, afcads, and sceneries to their proper folders in FSX. Before moving the traffic.bgl to the scenery\world\scenery folder, I use the AI Flight Planner proggy to convert the bgl to FSX format. This procedure always works for me.

falcon409
March 30th, 2010, 11:20
Yes sir and in a round about way, that's what I did. I just looked at several of the traffic files and everything appears to be in order. Could other traffic files be interfering with this somehow?

Bjoern
March 30th, 2010, 11:25
Yep, you would be correct in your assumption Bjoern, but for some reason, it doesn't seem to be working out that way, lol.

The Instructions suggest that you do the following:
make a new folder under "SimObjects" for MAIW and place all AI aircraft in that folder
edit the FSX.cfg file to show the addition of that new folder
add the following folders under Addon Scenery: MAIW Scenery-MAIW Excludes-MAIW Landclass-MAIW Airports
All object files, AFCAD's, exclude files and landclass files are moved to those folders and then activated in the Scenery Library
move all the traffic files (after converting to FSX) to the main scenery/world/scenery folder

After all that. . .activated everything in the scenery library, loaded up several airports to check and the only thing showing is the AFCAD. I ran AFX to check for parking spots and all the AFCAD's are showing active parking spots. Not sure why the aircraft are MIA, lol.

Try loading the AFCAD into AFX (ADE can do that too) and export them as an ADX (say in FSX format).

Then run the flight plans through a converter. If FSX detects one single native FS9 traffic .bgl it won't process FSX native traffic .bgl files, so you'll end up without traffic.

Also, I find MAIW's installation procedure quite...suboptimal. Clustering everything up in default FSX folders is not a good idea at all.
I would recommend putting everything MAIW related in a MAIW folder, with subfolders for the scenery folders, aircraft and flight plans and let the FSX.cfg and scenery library point to them.

My AI traffic is configured in a similar fashion. In FSX's main folder I've got an "Aircraft" folder (Hellooooo, FS9!) which contains all AI aircraft; serveral folders for AFX files (one for one to two geographical regions) and a folder for all my AI flight plans. Works perfectly.

Navy Chief
March 30th, 2010, 11:58
I tried, many years ago, (and several times), to get AI to work properly. Downloaded, printed out, and read all the instructions I could about MAIW packages, and using them in FSX.

Never did get it to work right, and finally got so frustrated, I gave up. I really like the detail in their work, but my patience just wore thin.

NC

JimC1702
March 30th, 2010, 12:10
I install them much like the others have said. I install to a dummy FS9 directory, then copy over the AI planes, and the traffic bgls after conversion. However, I never use the MAIW afcads as I've seen too many issues like airplanes stuck through the side of a building, signs in the middle of the taxiway, etc. I've made parking and scenery upgrades to many US military bases as well as civil airports that have military traffic and they work just fine.

Jim

Felixthreeone
March 30th, 2010, 14:01
No MAIW package has ever been- and most likely will never be- for FSX. Period. That being said, Falcon, the MAIW forums are still the best source for information on the conversion/use/troubleshooting of MAIW work. We are a very, very friendly bunch of guys who share your enthusiasm regarding the desire to have a ton of accurate military activity in their sim...and will work with you towards that end;...There are even dedicated forums and people to help you with this...Celticwarrior being an authority. So my personal recommendation would be (and has already been stated) to poke around the MAIW forums, and If you don't see an answer that suits your issue, ask someone.

falcon409
March 30th, 2010, 14:40
I tried, many years ago, (and several times), to get AI to work properly. Downloaded, printed out, and read all the instructions I could about MAIW packages, and using them in FSX.

Never did get it to work right, and finally got so frustrated, I gave up. I really like the detail in their work, but my patience just wore thin. NC
Yep, I've read all the suggestions folks have mentioned here and actually I had already done all of them before I posted here. I went to the MAIW Forums as suggested and what I found was more than one person who eluded to the fact that while MAIW packages can work in FSX, they aren't made for FSX, nor will they ever be made for FSX. The suggestion from a lot of the posts there refers back to a link posted for the PDF file I already have. . .65 pages worth. I'm sorry, I'd like to have military AI but I'm not going to sift through those pages to find (or not find) what's wrong with the installation. I'm not that fanatical about it as I said before. . .it would be nice, but I can live without it. . .and this go around has just about run it's course, lol.

thetford569
March 30th, 2010, 15:44
Falcon,

I just finished the process of adding MAIW to a fresh install of FSX using that lengthy document and it's working great for me. What did you use to convert your flight plans to FSX format? Also are you sure you edited the FSX.cfg and have the correct simobjects path added in there for the MAIW folder? The only difference I chose to have was I put the converted traffic files in their own "MAIW Traffic" folder in the scenery library to keep them out of the default folders.

Brandon

falcon409
March 30th, 2010, 16:12
I am very happy for those who can get MAIW to work, but I've messed with it longer than I usually do with stuff like this, so it's outta here.:salute:

guzler
March 31st, 2010, 06:35
Have you checked to see if there any traffic files that haven't been converted ?

falcon409
March 31st, 2010, 08:25
Have you checked to see if there any traffic files that haven't been converted ?
Yep, did that just before I hit the delete key!