PDA

View Full Version : Hawaiian flying - quiet style [PICS]

Mr.Mugel
March 29th, 2010, 13:45
Hey guys, just wanted to show you some shots I´ve done of one of the most imersive yet quite simple flights I´ve done in some time. It is Aerosofts Discus over Megascenery Hawaii with Dillingham X (Chosen the Discus and Dillingham as I won 2 freebies in their forum :d). I used WinchX, SimProbe and CumulusX as suggested, and after a pretty bad winch take off I have flown for about 45 minutes from Dillingham over the mountains on the east side of the island and back. Hope you like them, and thanks to Aerosoft!

wallyboard
March 29th, 2010, 14:06
Those are very immersive pics. Great stuff!!

Larry

Dain Arns
March 29th, 2010, 14:06
Hey guys, just wanted to show you some shots I´ve done of one of the most imersive yet quite simple flights I´ve done in some time. It is Aerosofts Discus over Megascenery Hawaii with Dillingham X (Chosen the Discus and Dillingham as I won 2 freebies in their forum :d). I used WinchX, SimProbe and CumulusX as suggested, and after a pretty bad winch take off I have flown for about 45 minutes from Dillingham over the mountains on the east side of the island and back. Hope you like them, and thanks to Aerosoft!

Great pics!
Oahu seems to have some great ridge lift areas, thanks to CumulusX and SimProbe.
I don't have the Aerosoft Discus, someday.
I do use several gliders thanks to Wolfgang Piper, not sure if you know about the site, so I posted a link:
http://www.fsglider.de/p_e.htm

Also there are a couple freeware hang gliders at the usual sim sites, if anyone is interested.
I've ridden the lift on that tall ridge just south of Dillingham's runway for over an hour in a hang glider in FSX.
(Would have gone longer, but got hungry, had to quit. LOL)

MCDesigns
March 29th, 2010, 14:18
Very impressive shots, looks like a great flight!

I did the glider deal in FS9, haven't tried it yet in FSX, but these shots and the link Dain provided are making me rethink that decision.
Funny, when I was scouting airfields in the UK in google earth for a scenery project, I found quite a few that were loaded with gliders, guess it's more popular than I realized.

Dexdoggy
March 29th, 2010, 17:50
Great shots, Dillingham is an awesome spot to go gliding - some wonderful scenery!

Dain Arns
March 29th, 2010, 18:28
Very impressive shots, looks like a great flight!

I did the glider deal in FS9, haven't tried it yet in FSX, but these shots and the link Dain provided are making me rethink that decision.
Funny, when I was scouting airfields in the UK in google earth for a scenery project, I found quite a few that were loaded with gliders, guess it's more popular than I realized.

Where I used to live, in Bozeman Montana, they eventually got their own grass landing strip for the gliders near the main runway. It's was that popular there.
It's even more popular in Europe. And I can see why, it's pretty cost effective flying when you think about it.
No fuel, low maintenance.

I know of a couple guys in Bozeman, that would get to altitude early in the morning, then use all of the nice north/south mountain ranges to fly all the way to Canada and back during the day.
Wasn't unusual for lots folks to fly up to Helena and back, about 90 air miles one way.

One thing I miss about living there, I was on the path to and from the airport for the gliders.
Loved to be outside listening to those wings softly whistling overhead as they were heading back to Gallatin Field to land for the evening.

Mr.Mugel
March 29th, 2010, 20:04
Thanks for the comments guys!

Yeah, I knew about Wolfgang´s page, but I can´t load his gliders for some reason, every time I try my FS crashes... But Empeck´s SDZ-30 Pirat is a real good glider, too!

I started riding the ridges, too, but soon was too high, looked for thermals, got even higher, about 4,500 ft and started my flight to the other side of the island....

pilottj
March 29th, 2010, 20:16
If you haven't tried it already, I highly reccomend David Rowberry's freeware L.A.K. Genesis 2 Glider, it is my favorite glider. He has a few other great tailless models available too.

Cheers
TJ

Ken Stallings
March 29th, 2010, 20:19
That looks very real!

Ken

Dain Arns
March 29th, 2010, 21:02
Thanks for the comments guys!

Yeah, I knew about Wolfgang´s page, but I can´t load his gliders for some reason, every time I try my FS crashes... But Empeck´s SDZ-30 Pirat is a real good glider, too!

I think I had that problem too.
If I remember, I didn't have a file called GaugeSound.dll installed in the FSX root directory.
Seems like the variometer gauge he uses needs that.