PDA

View Full Version : A car for life.

Trans_23
March 29th, 2010, 11:53
This 91 year old lady has been driving her Comet for 45+ years now. This video is a couple years old but there is a link below the video with an update.

http://growingbolder.com/media/technology/vehicles/romancing-the-road-259598.html#content_tabs

n4gix
March 29th, 2010, 12:14
The Comet was an amazingly well built car. The lady was very smart to pay for the "lifetime warranty" also! That's one sharp lady! :wiggle:

OBIO
March 29th, 2010, 12:50
They don't build them like that any more....such a good looking car. CHROME! Not that cheap shiny silver version of chrome either....real CHROME!

OBIO

cheezyflier
March 29th, 2010, 13:28
i had ared 63 1/2. it had the anemic wheezer under the hood, a 140 ci 6 cyl. it was cool looking though, and had fold-down beanch seats. i wish i had pics of that car. it was neat, but totally slow. if i remember right, it also had a 2 speed tranny.

Dain Arns
March 29th, 2010, 13:54
They don't build them like that any more....such a good looking car. CHROME! Not that cheap shiny silver version of chrome either....real CHROME!

OBIO

Didn't it sound great too! That thing is immaculate.

I've seen her featured in several reports and articles over the years.
Glad to hear her and "Chariot" are still running strong. :applause:

Moparmike
March 29th, 2010, 14:37
Yup, I've seen that news story before. A neat tale...

I like the lifetime warranty thing too. Gee...wonder why most shops don't do that anymore! LOL
My 69 Coronet (bought new by my grandparents) had a lifetime warranty shocks and muffler (the warranty followed the car and not just the current owner). Not sure how many it went through under my grandparents and parents but I put three mufflers on it in the 7 years I had the car.
At the shop I was dealing with, the lifetime warranty didn't mean good parts though. They knew they would wind up replacing em so they were just plain old cheap parts. I couldn't stand the lifetime shocks though so I started putting some good gas-charged ones on instead (no more lifetime warranty :( ).
I would still have free mufflers on it if I had it...but I lost the car to fire back in '94.

Anyone remember the unlimited mileage tires (AND no time limit) when radials first came out in the 70s?
My folks' '78 F150 put 220,000mi on one tire purchase. We'd probably still have free tires on the thing except Uniroyal weaseled out of the deal sometime in the late 90s by claiming the original model tire purchased was no longer available so they didn't have to back the warranty anymore.

HouseHobbit
March 29th, 2010, 15:27
I am still getting free exhaust on my 1959 Caddy, a shop here in town offered this in 1976, so I went in and got it from front to back, the son had just taken the shop over from his father and wanted to drum up some new customers.
He still has the shop and two years ago He again Honored this deal..

His son is getting ready to take over the shop, and His dad Told him the last time I was there as long as I own the Caddy, the it will be honored..
I don't think His son would have continued this without His dad forcing Him to..

yes my caddy is perfect my father brought in new, and I got it in 75'..
It still has the factory silk seat covers from the factory they put on them for shipping..
Those are rare and i have been offered alot for Her..

But as long as I am alive i shall heve her,
Oh, she has 67,000 miles on Her..
Only drive Her for family funerals and to my family's get togethers now..
about a 500 miles a year now..
She Black and crome Just Like my Harley..

Lionheart
March 29th, 2010, 15:58
Thats a cool story. Thanks for the heads up. Makes me want to go out and wax the Q..

Thats another good story HH about your Caddy. Great old cars. I had 2 70's models back in my early years. Loved them. Very poor on gas, but awesome old cars. Dad was a Caddy freak and always bought mom one in his later years. They have certainly evolved through the decades. Good to see they are a leader again in styling.

Bill