PDA

View Full Version : SBD Dauntless: wing paint questions

dswo
March 29th, 2010, 03:30
I'm putting together a first draft of my AVSIM review, and I need some advice from our expert painters. What you see here are wing views of all six liveries from the Vertigo SBD Dauntless, not including third-party repaints. I love the details and weathering, but there are some anomalies in the coloring of four surfaces:

1. The "swiss cheese" holes in the dive flaps. It seems to me that these should be the same color as the wing (as they are in the screenshot marked "Good?" and in the yellow USMC livery).

2. The narrow strip between the aileron and the rest of the wing. In several of these, this strip is white. Again, it seems to me that these should be the same color as the wing (as they are in the screenshot marked "Good?").

3. The slots on the forward edge. In most of these, the interior of the slot is gray. Should it be, if the rest of the wing is yellow or brown?

4. I forgot to circle this last item in the screenshots. The long isosceles triangle formed by the flat, vertical side of the trailing edge flaps, facing the cockpit, is always gray, regardless of wing color. I have no idea whether this is correct. It looks fine with the Navy paints, but funny with the marine (yellow) and army (olive drab) paints.

I like this plane a lot; in general, the level of craftsmanship is high, inside and out. I'm asking this now, because there are several expert painters here and because, if there are changes that should be made, I hope there is still time to include them in the service pack.

dswo
March 29th, 2010, 03:31
Here are the remaining screenshots.

MCDesigns
March 29th, 2010, 05:45
I also noted that there are only 234 rivets instead of the 246 as listed in the official manual I have, LOL (kidding of course)

the one area that is always white could be one of two possibilities, either it wasn't textured or that the place that is supposed to be textured on the sheet was missed by the repainter. As for the parts that don't match with the rest of the paint, it was probably a small area that was overlooked by the painter, I would get with Dean and see if he could shed more light on it, if missed by the painter it's an easy fix, the white part though, if untextured is not so easy.