View Full Version : '2009 F1 Rear Wing?'

Panther_99FS
November 8th, 2008, 17:02
Testing....

Tako_Kichi
November 8th, 2008, 17:29
That is just stunning!

I can see a lot of 'loose' rear ends coming up next season. :isadizzy:

It might make for interesting racing but you have to question the safety aspect as the grip must be significantly reduced.

demorier
November 9th, 2008, 16:27
I wonder if they are moving the downforce wings to other areas on the machines for a better effect? The 2008 spec cars look like something from out of space....with smaller wings sticking out all over the place.

Ferry_vO
November 9th, 2008, 16:39
Next year's cars will have the rear wing as in the photo, the front wing can be wider and lower and the slick tyres will return. All other aerodynamic devices will be removed, but no doubt some ingenious constructor will find some place on the car that is outside the rules and build a little wing there. But those ugly things like the 'bridge wings', 'viking horns', ;chimneys' and those wings on the nose like the BMW and RBR's have should be gone when next season starts!

:d

Sunny9850
November 13th, 2008, 18:01
Is this an official photo of some sort ???
I have a few doubts about this being the sign of things to come.
1. If this is the next years aero-package I would expect that to be driving around with the no-groove slicks as well.
2. The rear wing as is would create a huge amount of turbulent air behind the car and make closer racing, which is supposed to be the goal, almost impossible.

But then again...F1 rule makers have been known to demand very very strange things that had little or none of the desired effects.

To me it's painfully obvious where the problem really lies. In the carbon-carbon brakes on these cars.
Reduce their allowed size by 1/3 and regulate max system pressure and you have a nice open zone again for driver skill/bravado.
As they are now ...decelerating at 6.5G from 200mph to 40 in a little more than 100m the differences the driver can make are just too small to gain an advantage into a corner.