PDA

View Full Version : 'Fox'

Panther_99FS
March 27th, 2010, 13:53
I managed to pull my car over and get a quick grab of this sickly fox on base.....

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4030/4467052467_8694a71a10_b.jpg

stiz
March 27th, 2010, 14:01
thats a strange looking fox!

tigisfat
March 27th, 2010, 14:02
That's because it's not a fox. :salute:

I can see how one would think it's a fox, maybe because of the tail, but my money's on coyote.

Terry
March 27th, 2010, 14:21
Don't look like a cayote either, at least not like those running around my place, which are solid brown.

Panther_99FS
March 27th, 2010, 14:23
That's because it's not a fox. :salute:

I can see how one would think it's a fox, maybe because of the tail, but my money's on coyote.

After spending 9yrs in Arizona around Coyotes, I tend to disagree here....It's quite small also..

rpjkw
March 27th, 2010, 14:24
Last year, we had a very sickly looking Coyote around this area and looked similar to the one you 'shot', P. I haven't seen the poor thing in a long time; doubt it survived the winter.

Bob

Panther_99FS
March 27th, 2010, 14:27
Need some native Louisiana folks to step in here....LoL

tigisfat
March 27th, 2010, 14:30
Need some native Louisiana folks to step in here....LoL

Why, so they can identify it as a montreauxbeauxtoufee?:icon_lol:

Seriously though, coyotes come in all shapes and sizes, and foxes don't. There are fatty black coyotes all the way to skinny red ones, even ones colored like german sheperds.

OBIO
March 27th, 2010, 15:20
It's neither a Fox or a Coyote. It's a mutant piebald squirrel.

Willy
March 27th, 2010, 15:24
I was raised out in the woods about 75 miles north of Shreveport and it looks like a very ragged gray fox to me. I killed enough of them as a kid to recognize one. But I've never seen one still alive and in that bad a shape.

jmig
March 27th, 2010, 15:32
I ain't a Nutria!

:d

Only foxes I have seen are the red ones.

Dain Arns
March 27th, 2010, 15:53
INFO>>> http://www.azgfd.gov/h_f/game_foxes.shtml

There are three species of fox in Arizona - the red fox, kit fox, and gray fox.

Of these, the 5 ½ to 9 pound gray fox with its rust, black, and grizzled coloring and black longitudinally striped tail is by far the most common, occurring wherever there are mountains, wooded country, and broken terrain.They all look like that this time of year!
They are naturally shedding their 3rd layer of fur, the winter undercoat.
You should see a Collie in the Spring... :isadizzy:

Yes they really are that skinny under all that hair.
Give it a couple weeks it'll look like the one in the Arizona Fish & Game info site I posted above.

Ken Stallings
March 27th, 2010, 16:19
It looks more like a hyena than a fox. Cannot recall seeing a fox with that type of coloration. But the animal does look in poor health.

Ken

Edit: Dain, I'll take your word for it. You seem to know a lot more about this stuff than I do. :)

limjack
March 27th, 2010, 16:25
Well, what ever it is at least it's in focus. So we can rule out Bigfoot or a ufo.

Nice shot P.

Jim

GT182
March 27th, 2010, 16:27
Panther, you did say it was on base? Then it's a Cammo Fox. Very rare and changing into it's summer cammo. That's the reason for the coloration. ;)

And yes, due to the meger food scraps it's getting from the mess hall, it is skinny. :icon_lol:

Very pretty fox tho, I do hope it survives.

Lionheart
March 27th, 2010, 17:16
Man, that thing looks like its had better days. It looks like two patches of raw skin showing, one on the head. The hair looks burned.

Foxes are bright red and white and our local coyotes are a wierd colorless khaki color, like a beige or something. This guy looks like he was in a brush fire and escaped or something. He looks bad... Poor dude.

I wonder if he was hit by a car and survived. An oily bottomed car could have caused that, getting oil all over him. A semi?

Bill

TeaSea
March 27th, 2010, 17:18
Think Dain Arns has it nailed...

I believe it's a gray fox...fairly common in the South Western U.S., but we are in a transition time for their coats. Hard to tell.

And oddly enough....If it's a gray fox, it's not in particularly bad health. They are usually quite scrawny, and unlike other canine type animals...these can climb trees.

And no, it's definitely not a Nutria! :)

harleyman
March 27th, 2010, 19:21
Well, whatever it is , Fox or Coyote, its a great shot Panther....

Dain Arns
March 27th, 2010, 19:38
Think Dain Arns has it nailed...

I believe it's a gray fox...fairly common in the South Western U.S., but we are in a transition time for their coats. Hard to tell.

And oddly enough....If it's a gray fox, it's not in particularly bad health. They are usually quite scrawny, and unlike other canine type animals...these can climb trees.

And no, it's definitely not a Nutria! :)

Exactly TeaSea.
Skinny is right. Only picture I could find, but here's one of its cousins, the Arctic Fox.
This one has a mouthful of Lemmings.

But I think it shows their body type well in the pic.
They can squeeze through some of the smallest openings.
Growing up, I remember we had a heck of a time making the chicken yard fox proof.

MudMarine
March 27th, 2010, 19:51
The Mange: it's a skin disease the coyotes and fox get, it effects their skin, ie fur color. Eventually it will all fall out and the animal will die. Don't you people ever spend any time in the woods looking at animals rather than watching them on tv?

HouseHobbit
March 27th, 2010, 20:02
We have Grey's and Red's in kentucky, running fox Hounds was a Passion of one of my grandfathers. He could tell by the way the Dogs were acting (Barking& howling)if it was a Grey or Silver fox as the old timmers called them or a Red..
But the Grey's and Reds were NEVER together they don't seem to like each other..

And the coyote's are here too. In Ohio and Ky. That does look like a Grey fox changing it's coat..
Hard to tell in the Photo the size, that tends to be a dead give away..

The Coyotes have become the new Hated animal in the Eastern part of KY where my family is from..
And there is a OPEN season on them.
I have downed several at very long range at Dusk with my 22-250 rem and they are a Ugly animal..But again I am sure hobbit's are ugly to them too..
LOL..LOL..

Henry
March 27th, 2010, 20:03
as a half native Louisianan its a big rat:running:
needs feeding
here kitty kitty
H