PDA

View Full Version : Need good helo recommendation

ryanbatc
March 27th, 2010, 12:46
Hi I realize we finally have some native FSX helos to chose from. I was about to pull the trigger on the Cera 412 today but then decided against it, because I'm not sure if it's the best one.

What I'm looking for in order of importance:

Native FSX model
FPS friendly VC
Excellent interior visuals (outside not as big of deal)
Ability to startup with engines running/ie ready to go (whether it be ctrl+e or a config panel set to run)
Good FDE

The Dodosim I am not considering because it's too hard core for what I want. Jordan Moore's FS9 Bell was a great bird and I would fly it if it were native (major fps loss for me in FSX).

So is the Cera 412 what I want? I also want to it to go at least 120kts for cruise...

Thanks for the help!

wiltzei
March 27th, 2010, 13:01
You won´t be able to start the B412 with ctrl+e, but the startup process is pretty quick. Otherwise it fills your requirements, and is a great bird IMO.

MCDesigns
March 27th, 2010, 13:02
Hi Ryan, first off, I believe the dodo can be started with easy start, so it might fit what you need. On excellent interior visuals, what parts are more important to you other than the panel? I was going to suggest the ND huey for panel visuals (awesome panel), but it's not that framerate friendly. FDE, unless you go with the dodo, there won't be that much of a difference. If you liked Jordans 412, then you will like the cera 412. me, I have most of the payware helis and being a VC lover and a modeler, I find the best overall VC design to be between the Huey and the new MD, but the huey taxes my system, so I am giving the MD lots of time.

BOOM
March 27th, 2010, 13:13
For us Rotor Challenged, What's The MD?
Thanks!

MCDesigns
March 27th, 2010, 13:26
For us Rotor Challenged, What's The MD?
Thanks!

Sorry, the McDonnell Douglas MD-902 Explorer :redface:

ryanbatc
March 27th, 2010, 13:27
I assuming he means the recently released MD-902 Explorer.

Thanks I probably stick with the 412 then. I still dont like the look of the MD's VC's.

Oh, I forgot to mention. I have the fictional Edge Pyro helicopter and I started to fly that a bit. It's really fast but probably not very accurate hehe.

ryanbatc
March 27th, 2010, 18:08
Well I did go with the Cera 412P!

so far so good, the vc is really clean and easy to read. The handy popup gauge that turns on avionics is great. And my engines are running since my default flight has them on so really I departed in under a minute!

The night lighting could be toned down a bit (the yellow is quite strong) but I like the handling. Harder to fly than the default Jetranger so that will be half the fun learning this one. Now I just need rudder pedals lol

Sweet VC!

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r43/ryanbatc/cera412night.jpg

dswo
March 28th, 2010, 03:50
This thread was helpful to me too. Thank you.

Query: why the 412 instead of the more recently modeled 212?

Dain Arns
March 28th, 2010, 05:33
The night lighting could be toned down a bit (the yellow is quite strong) but I like the handling. Harder to fly than the default Jetranger so that will be half the fun learning this one. Now I just need rudder pedals lol

If you really want a challenge, grab the freeware Helicopter Total Realism (HTR) add-on from Hovercontrol.com.
http://www.hovercontrol.com/cgi-bin/ifolio/imageFolio.cgi?direct=HTR_-_Helicopter_Total_Realism

Someone already has a config file for the Cera Bell 412 developed.
http://www.mediafire.com/?mtyvzizjwcb

Yes. You are going to need rudder pedals to do it right. :icon_lol:

wiltzei
March 28th, 2010, 06:09
Query: why the 412 instead of the more recently modeled 212?
For me, 40 good reasons on the airspeed indicator.

Thanks for the HU regarding the HTR plugin.

ryanbatc
March 28th, 2010, 07:05
For me, 40 good reasons on the airspeed indicator.

Yep, about 20-30 kts faster in cruise, that's what I was looking for too.

Kiwikat
March 28th, 2010, 07:17
I would still suggest the Dodo sometime. There's nothing else out there like it. :wavey:

It isn't that difficult to get off the ground. The startup procedure when set to most realistic is still quite easy. I'm not a rotorhead and I don't find it to be too difficult to fly.

ryanbatc
March 28th, 2010, 07:23
I will but I don't fly helos enough to justify 53 bucks on it... At least right now ;)

OleBoy
March 28th, 2010, 08:06
I think you made a good choice Ryan. Of all the reading of positive comments I've read about the Cera 212/412 models, they're top notch. The FDE alone sounds like the best bang for the buck out of all of them. And, as you've shown the shot of the panel, that's got fantastic clarity and the gauges appear to be highly legible. Not to mention the thread started here with all the excellent repaints everyone's done. I got both the Cera helicopters that I really enjoyed in FS04. That starting procedures weren't that bad after a few times, and you could get in the air fairly quick. My last purchase was the ND EC135. Which I'm very happy with and enjoy flying. I had planned, well kind of (I forgot about the Cera helicopters as my latest drool has been the Aerosoft Huey) on getting both the Cera helicopters, but that dang Carenado C185F Bush plane got my coins. Not saying that in a bad way. It's a great aircraft. It's just so dang hard trying to stay focused that I tend to jump on nice/new releases without thinking of my plans. As my wife glares at me from behind.."grin". Hopefully soon I'll have both the Cera helicopters and the Aersoft Bell Huey sitting on the tarmac. If I can stay focused that is!!!

Aerosoft Huey..Aerosft Huey..Aerosoft Huey. OK, that should keep me focused again. NOT!!

I don't like to get too excited. And I'm the last poster in the Huey thread. I just really wish Aerosoft would crap or get off the pot. Meaning that in a friendly way of course :)

ryanbatc
March 28th, 2010, 11:54
Yeah for the price I think the C185 Bush pack is EXCELLENT value. I almost got that instead of this chopper. However in the end I wanted to try something new. I have some of the slower carenado's and really am awaiting their Bonanza - so I will save for that instead!

This chopper is very well done and I think also excellent value for an fs chopper.

Ken Stallings
March 28th, 2010, 12:13
My helo recommendation ...

Stay far, far away from them! Helicopters beat the air into submission and the air's always looking for a way to get even!

Fly airplanes. They work in harmony with the air and enjoy each other's company! :engel016:

Cheers,

Ken

Dain Arns
March 28th, 2010, 13:16
My helo recommendation ...

Stay far, far away from them! Helicopters beat the air into submission and the air's always looking for a way to get even!

Fly airplanes. They work in harmony with the air and enjoy each other's company! :engel016:

Cheers,

Ken

Them's almost fightin' words, but well, that's understandable, Ken.
Some folks just don't have the precise piloting skills it requires to fly a rotorcraft... :a1310: :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol:
(Da debil made me say that...)

Ken Stallings
March 28th, 2010, 14:07
The surest sign of great pilot skills is never putting yourself in a situation calling for great pilot skills! :icon_lol:

OleBoy
March 28th, 2010, 14:38
Yeah for the price I think the C185 Bush pack is EXCELLENT value. I almost got that instead of this chopper. However in the end I wanted to try something new. I have some of the slower carenado's and really am awaiting their Bonanza - so I will save for that instead!

This chopper is very well done and I think also excellent value for an fs chopper.

If this was the real world, I might suggest exchanging keys for a test ride :icon_lol:

Dain Arns
March 28th, 2010, 14:55
The surest sign of great pilot skills is never putting yourself in a situation calling for great pilot skills! :icon_lol:

I never said great, Ken. I said precise. There is a difference.
Like as in being able to land on top of a building for example. :icon_lol:

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b162/Leorstef/6a00e00981da5788330128767533bb97-1.jpg

Ken Stallings
March 28th, 2010, 15:36
I got nothing to top that! You win! :engel016:

Ken

ryanbatc
March 28th, 2010, 15:51
Wow that's an epic picture! Skill!