PDA

View Full Version : FSX Vietnam War released

Vietnam War Project
March 26th, 2010, 11:21
Hello,

We are very pleased to announce the release of the project !
available at SOH addon, and at http://vietnamwar.project.free.fr/index.html
later at flightsim and others
So you can load flight plans (included), open your eyes (many things to see) and ...

Good flight !!!

Many thanks !!!

Jacques Godfrin - Xavier Carré
FSX Vietnam War project

JimC1702
March 26th, 2010, 11:29
Very cool! Thanks. Just in time for the Deal of the Day Cobra. :)

Jim

wiltzei
March 26th, 2010, 12:31
Cool. Can´t wait to try the A2A F4 and Razbam Thud in 'Nam.

MudMarine
March 26th, 2010, 12:38
:jump:Thank you! Downloading!:jump:

tigisfat
March 26th, 2010, 12:40
this is SOOOO cool. I've been wanting someone to do something like this for a while.

edit: It's great that this pretty big undertaking is freeware, but I can't afford to buy the required payware textures right now. Does anyone have them and know if they make all of Asia look a lot better?

peter12213
March 26th, 2010, 13:37
WOO HOO, get your shots up guys!

Navy Chief
March 26th, 2010, 13:52
Thanks for the hard work. Downloading now!

NC

falcon409
March 26th, 2010, 16:39
Some shots of a dawn departure to Soc Trang with a pass over Binh Thuy and the Mekong River. Seems to me this would be a good excuse for a mass get-together on the MP server. Lots of places to explore by "Loach, Skyraider, Bronco, Mohawk and so on".

falcon409
March 26th, 2010, 16:45
I would sit up against the outside revetment, facing the rwy every morning and watch the A-1's taxi out, then came the Huey's and finally the A-37's. The general placement of all the buildings is pretty much how I remember it. There was a large bomb dump on the opposite side of the rwy, which I can add easily enough.

Excellent job to everyone on the "Project" Team. . .:salute::salute:

peter12213
March 26th, 2010, 17:42
Seems to me this would be a good excuse for a mass get-together on the MP server.

I'm in! lol

crashaz
March 26th, 2010, 22:07
Thanks for all the work and your contributions!! :wavey:

anatolpopov
March 26th, 2010, 23:31
Wow, this is cool. Cleaning and updating my FSX now.

roger-wilco-66
March 27th, 2010, 00:46
:ernae: !!

knackfsx
March 27th, 2010, 02:07
very nice work!
thx a lot

txnetcop
March 27th, 2010, 03:26
Outstanding work on this project. I wish we had better Vietnam scenery, but accuracy of your work is astounding. Thank you
Ted
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

stansdds
March 27th, 2010, 06:18
Question before I get too excited.

Is this becoming a real combat sim, with aircraft and targets being engaged and destroyed, or is this just eye candy?

Vietnam War Project
March 27th, 2010, 10:05
Many thanks for your support, :salute:

As you all know this project is full open. Therefore additional and enhanced sceneries, objects, missions are welcome.
We can provide you with the ADE files would you intend to bring the existing sceneries to a higher level.

This is our first scenery (except the Vietnam pack, july 2009), so all people who can improved the project, as freeware, are welcome !

It's not only our own work.

A few people have already helped us by providing pictures and sharing their remembrances of past military actions in the region
Guy has adapted his AN-2, and Mig-21, Manfred his EC-121, KBT gave us a model for AI P-3, and Mark who initiated A Shau...
Thanks to Al Simms and his great collection of Vietnam war objects.

There would have been no AI traffic without all those great freeware airplanes , nothing on parkings without objects creators... (Jim, Guy, John...)

Thanks again to all of you

Jacques - Xavier
FSX Vietnam War project

NB Pleasure, is for eyes yet, and maybe, later...

EgoR64
March 27th, 2010, 11:33
:ernae:

Excellent - Many thank for all your hard work - :icon29:

Many Cheers !!

Cag40Navy
March 27th, 2010, 16:03
wish we had a good flyable AC-47. :jump: good job guys, still loving it!

modelr
March 27th, 2010, 17:45
There was a large bomb dump on the opposite side of the rwy, which I can add easily enough.

Excellent job to everyone on the "Project" Team. . .:salute::salute:

Falcon, That bomb dump is where I would have been working if I had gotten to 'Nam. They sent me to Kadena AFB, Okinawa, instead. I did handle most of the 20MM stuff that went to and came back from there, tho', as well as most of the GP bombs. We were the depot for everything going in or out of SEA. '70-'71.

This is going to be fun. Thank you Team:applause: :salute::salute:

muletrain
March 27th, 2010, 18:08
Thanks for your great work!

Warrant
March 27th, 2010, 18:55
Excellent work done here, my sincere applaus :applause::applause::applause:

Two q's:

1) to what way does the AI implemented in the scenery affect other AI (and is there a simple way to switch between modern world AI and the Vietnam era AI)?

2) I did a fam-flight through Vietnam and started/finished from Danang. I noticed especially the Danang scenery was a bit heavy on my FPS rates (e.g. taxiing, take-off and landing were slide-shows). Is there a way to reduce the weight of the scenery a little?

Otherwise.......a masterpiece i'm gonna spend a lot of time with! :salute:

icycle
March 27th, 2010, 22:17
I second the comment, Excellent work!!! :salute:

This certainly fills a void left since FS2002, and the "Knowles" sceneries.

I too have seen a substantial drop in frames, especially around Danang,Cam Ranh, & Tansonnhat. When you get away from them though, things improve tremendously. I think its that it seems that a lot of the AI craft, seem to be versions of the flyable, FS2004 era aircraft.

Now we just need some better SEAsia specific autogen, and a way to limit some of the urban areas, and we'll be in business!

Great job, thanks for your efforts.

Bill

ps. Any thoughts of adding Cubi Point/Subic, in the Philippines?

EgoR64
March 28th, 2010, 03:21
Do you recommend a 3rd party Mesh for your area ?

Thx & Cheer !!

Vietnam War Project
March 28th, 2010, 04:18
Hello,

Once more, many thanks !!! :ernae:

About scenes and FPS, there are several bases with low FPS , depending on location and the axis of the aircraft and the pilot view.
We tried to give some solutions in the documentation.
(Chapter configuration and settings that you can find in the VNW documentation folder in the root folder of FSX)

Many airplanes come from FS9 and have been converted to AI (we tried several format textures DXT1, DDS, with and without mipmapping).
In addition, some aircraft have a large number of textures needed to display the outside, adding additional problems).
So on some airfields, the AI traffic is set to appear from 30 to 70% or more, about 70% , all aircrafts appear.
Try to Nakhon Phanom!

About Meshes, we use the default FSX, not knowing which would be used, we do not recommend for the moment other meshes.
There already exist a number of sites with objects for the missions, but we can see in the future!

You can also do adjustment to the complexity of scenes in FSX parameters, many objects on major bases are scheduled to appear from very dense to extremely dense (revetments, shelters ...)

For major cities, the Vietnam of today includes a large number of cities with very dense urbanization,
and Microsoft-Aces studios postponed.
We looked at a number of pictures from 1945 to 1970, and we tried to replicate, modestly, by changing landclasses, the cities.
One thing is sure, the cities of Vietnam have grown enormously since 1970.

We use Fscene4X Asia, as replacement texures, all screenshots you can see at project web site use these textures.

It seems that some network flight have began !? In France, some Skyraiders strikes, and rescue missions using network have been seen !

Remember : OPEN YOUR EYES ! There are some crews to be rescued...

AND

All improvements are welcome, contact us

Cheers
FSX Vietnam War project

falcon409
March 31st, 2010, 07:53
Has anyone come up with a good reference map for this addon? I went into FS9 and opened FSNav and saved sections of the Vietnam mapping until I had the whole thing (8 shots) I just have to go back and mark the bases and LZ's that are part of the project.

Having a list of the bases is fine, but knowing their relation to one another in order to setup flights isn't real easy when you have no idea where they are, lol. Having a visual reference would be perfect. I have downloaded several color maps of both South Vietnam and the entire country and may just end up using that rather than the FSNav maps.

peter12213
March 31st, 2010, 07:58
I could use a decent map as well to be honest! :salute:

Vietnam War Project
March 31st, 2010, 10:24
hello Falcon and Peter

We have started a map a few weeks ago, but there is a great freeware Plan G using google map, so easy to use, with zoom, and many information about airfields (like FSNav)
My best way to find lost airfields in the jungle, and mountains.
You can also create and load flightplans.

Plan G : http://www.tasoftware.co.uk/
Freeware, but registration required.
Read carefuly documentation and Plan G forum.
And don't forget to build database (default FSX, and addon sceneries airfields are included), it takes a few minutes.
A must have !!!

Cheers

Xavier
FSX Vietnam War project

falcon409
March 31st, 2010, 10:32
Yep, I've got that one. . .have had it since he went public with it and have kept up with the updates. I guess that's an option. What I'd like to do, is have a way to permanently mark the field locations in Plan-G, so that, at a glance, I can pick two or three fields and set a flight plan. I don't think that's possible, but I'll check.

Shylock
March 31st, 2010, 17:49
Have yet to download but have been following this project for some time now waiting for the release. So great job and many thanks for all of your hard work and dedication that went into this project. This one is for you...:icon29:

falcon409
March 31st, 2010, 19:01
Ok, here's what I came up with. I loaded Google Earth Tracker and FSX and went through all the Bases/LZ's in Vietnam on the list and marked every one and then saved that file as a kmz file. Sooooo, anyone who wants that much (I haven't done Laos, Thailand, Cambodia, etc), I'll post that file and you can load it into Google Earth to give you a sort of "War Map", lol.

Many of the positions, based on where they fall in Google Earth may seem off, but they are marked per the positioning of the aircraft as I went from base to base in FSX (which shows you how far off many of them are). . .oh, and it took me quite a while to catch on to turning all the graphics sliders off in FSX so that it didn't take 3 dang minutes to load each airport, lol. Once I did that the airports loaded MUCH faster, lol.

Crusader
April 1st, 2010, 01:47
Thanks falcon . I would really appreciate if you did post it . It would really come in handy when I start my " base hopping " in Piglet's Skyraider or a huey . Looking forward to it and thanks again for you efforts .

Rich

falcon409
April 1st, 2010, 06:55
Ok, here is the finished War Map:
http://www.box.net/shared/static/vj46rzjtii.zip

I added all the SE Asia bases, LZ's, Water Landings for Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia and Thailand. I did not include those in Japan, Philippines and US. I think you can probably figure those out for yourself, lol.

I want to reiterate that these positions were marked using Google Earth Tracker and FSX. I went to every single position in FSX and marked that spot on Google Earth. They may not be exact, but it should be a good visual reference when deciding on Mission Flight Plans.

I did note that while marking the landing areas in Laos, that they appeared to be situated in very rugged Mountain Terrain. . .it might be fun to check those out. Also, many of the LZ's there are relatively close together, some as close as 5nm, so hopping from one to the other should be a blast.

Thanks again to everyone involved with the making and release of the Vietnam War Project. So many places to bomb and so little time, lol.:salute:

oops, almost forgot, for those who have never used Google Earth, now's the time, cause ya can't use this file without it, lol. Once you unzip the file, it can be placed on the desktop and with Google Earth installed, just double click the file and it will load Google Earth with the sites in place.

Crusader
April 1st, 2010, 08:12
Thanks for posting the map . We will put it to good use .

Rich

falcon409
April 1st, 2010, 08:19
Thanks for posting the map. We will put it to good use.
Rich
No problem Rich, hopefully it turns out to be a good reference for everyone. Of course, once you have it loaded in Google Earth, you can tweak anything you need to, especially the naming of the individual placemarks. I used the names on most, but a lot of them, especially in Laos, I just used the ICAO code, but they do have names that can be substitute if you want. Just right click on the placemarks and while the yellow box is showing around them (in edit mode) you can change anything you want, even drag it to a different location if necessary. Once you close the edit box, it's locked to that location again.

Let me know if you folks have any problems with it.:salute:

Vietnam War Project
April 1st, 2010, 09:55
for me to retrieve planes, and many objects i've lost in jungle and mountains.
A very great job.
Many thanks.

For those who like flying in montainous areas, Laos may be a challenge.
You can take off from Long Tien using a Pilatus Porter and try to land at LS 02 or LS 85.

Don't forget some LZ are fictious.
LZ Alpha, Bootleg, Cimarron, Dragonfly, Emeraude, French Plantation (not documented)
You can disable them, by disabling Vietnam War project Fictive LZ

Seaplanes refuelling points are fictious (except USS Pine Island represented by an old tanker)
they are named as Hydro, dedicated to seaplanes pilots (please try the HU-16 - refer to our web site -, many pilots were rescued by their crew along the coast, you can help a crew in water, north of DMZ).

Cheers

Xavier
FSX Vietnam War project

Cag40Navy
April 1st, 2010, 10:17
where did you guys get the AC-47?

Vietnam War Project
April 1st, 2010, 10:29
where did you guys get the AC-47?

It is default FSX DC-3 repainted by pepe_pompero.
Used at AI at Pleiku, and Nakhon Phanom.

You can find the textures at our web site, downloads, repaints

best

JensOle
April 4th, 2010, 02:41
I got home yesterday after being away for 10 days and it was great news to see that the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Vietnam</st1:place></st1:country-region> scenery project had been released. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
Very impressive work, thank you! This makes flying over the SEA area a lot more interesting and fun.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
I too got some fps issues at certain places and one thought that came to my mind is that maybe it will help out if the Admin and barrack areas of the larger US Thai and SV bases with their building can be made a separate mdl so that it can be removed to save fps for people needing it. I recon this involves a lot of work, just and idea.<o:p></o:p>
For the ai USAF T-28, I can see that you have the "AH" tailcode of the stateside training squadron at Hurlburt, I have a 606<SUP>th</SUP> Sqn “TO” repaint with black painted underside if you want.<o:p></o:p>
Keep up the great work!

<o:p>Best regards</o:p>
<o:p>Jens-Ole</o:p>