PDA

View Full Version : 'Okay...AlphaSim T-34C ROCKS!'

Panther_99FS
November 8th, 2008, 11:18
This isn't your "typical" AS aircraft...

-Do the buttons/switches work in the cockpit? - Yep!
-Can you manually start it? - Yep
-Detailed virtual cockpit? - Yep

One thing that really stands out is the sound :applause:

The environment sounds of the switches/systems/ is nothing short of excellent! Heck there's a noticible difference in volume & pitch when you open/close the canopy in the VC :jump:

FPS are great too - my only criticism here is that it still takes a bit for the V/C textures to load up

Bottom Line: If you thought the Rutan & Gee Bee were great, then this is even better! :ernae:

(Disclaimer: I'm sure there are others who'll completely disagree with what I've stated:d)

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e390/Panther99FS/FSX%20Warbirds/2008-11-8_10-43-39-281.jpg

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e390/Panther99FS/FSX%20Warbirds/2008-11-8_13-48-58-136.jpg

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e390/Panther99FS/FSX%20Warbirds/2008-11-8_13-51-42-11.jpg

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e390/Panther99FS/FSX%20Warbirds/2008-11-8_13-54-42-58.jpg

deimos256
November 8th, 2008, 11:23
I wonder why certain planes vcs take forever to load, and other superb vcs such as the AS viper are visible as soon as you switch the view

VCN-1
November 8th, 2008, 11:28
Nice images.

Great endorsement.

Waiting for more textures to hit the streets. I am sure there will be a flood of them.

VCN-1

Thoe6969
November 8th, 2008, 11:31
I 100% agree,took me a while to learn all the systems,and starting procedures,but the more I fly this thing the more I like it.

JT8D-9A
November 8th, 2008, 11:38
I wish i could buy it :kilroy: I like the new direction of Alphasim :applause::applause:

MCDesigns
November 8th, 2008, 13:17
FPS are great too - my only criticism here is that it still takes a bit for the V/C textures to load up

dang!! Now I might have to get it :banghead:

doesn't surprise me on the texture loading, the last few helis had wayyyyyyyyyyyyy to many high res cockpit gauge textures

Panther_99FS
November 8th, 2008, 13:26
One thing that really stands out is the sound :applause:

I have to re-emphasize this statement. The sound is so immersive, it's like you're "really there" in the seat....Hearing the blower fan spool up and shut down...to the gear-up warning sounds...

The sounds stand out...

DrZGard
November 8th, 2008, 13:44
Here I sit waiting for another email address approval from Alphasim since they don't accept the hotmail account I have used for the last 8 years and as usual the second ISP email I used for an Alphasim account is no longer active. Hmmm... depending on how long it takes I might just lose interest and move on to something else :banghead:

Edit: Phil's working fast today... already approved new account so I will get to fly it this weekend. Really cool and thanks Alphasim :ernae:

Warrant
November 8th, 2008, 14:14
Looks like an amazing plane. Will purchase it next month i think.

Nice screenshots Panther:applause:

hey_moe
November 8th, 2008, 14:53
Me a lost puppy...I brought it,installed it, all it do is smoke ...da engine shuts off and when I start it the sound comes on but da prop don't turn....also where did you guys DL the 160 page manual:isadizzy:

Thoe6969
November 8th, 2008, 14:58
As soon as it loads goto the red fuel switch right behind the throttle and click on it then go to the right side and turn on the starter switch,and it should fire up.

Panther_99FS
November 8th, 2008, 15:14
also where did you guys DL the 160 page manual:isadizzy:

The manual gets automatically installed in your FSX/ALPHASIM sub-folder :mixedsmi:

hey_moe
November 8th, 2008, 16:23
Dat do dit:applause:

Thoe6969
November 8th, 2008, 17:17
Dat do dit:applause: Glad it worked,thats what I have to do.

CG_1976
November 8th, 2008, 17:48
Im having a blast with this new Alphasim AC. This one is just dang beautiful and enjoyable.:applause::d

wildcat400
November 8th, 2008, 18:18
Is the VMAT-101 paint scheme the only one that comes available with the download?

VCN-1
November 8th, 2008, 18:34
Is the VMAT-101 paint scheme the only one that comes available with the download?

There are 6 in the package. Check the site for additional details.

http://www.alphasim.co.uk/index2.html

VCN-1

GatorFlyer
November 9th, 2008, 17:27
Hello All. Im a newbie here, but joined to continue the T-34C discussion. I agree the sim model is AWESOME! Even better than the ones we are provided by the Navy in the MicroSim simulators (not the actual T-34C sims we use for instrument training though, they are quite a bit more pricey!!). I actually have about 110 hours in the real thing here at Whiting Field and would like to get in touch with someone who can do something about these fixes as I dont have the FSX know-how to accomplish.

First off, as discussed previously, the start sequence is not realistic. The individuals are correct in stating fuel control to the engine for start is governed by the prop condition lever (middle of the tree levers on the left side of the cockpit). The "red pull handle" is actually used in the real plane as a pilot-safe release to secure the fuel via the condition lever. You have to pull it and retard the condition lever to "Fuel Off" to shutdown the engine. Prevents an inadvertent shut-down mid flight or on the ground when messing with the condition lever for ground runup and EP simulations.

In reality, all you need to do to start the engine is to turn the battery on, activate the starter, and introduce fuel by moving the prop condition (the middle) lever to "Fuel On", then secure the starter.

Second, the ignition switch in the real plane is spring loaded to the "ON" position always, its not a 2-position as depicted in the sim. You actually have to hold it down during certain EPs.

Third, the CDI is waaay to touchy to use with a mouse. any way to make the course select knob turn like the FSX King Air?

Fourth, the strobes on the real plane all flash at the same time, not wings, then tail as depicted in the sim.

Fifth, anyway to open the rear cockpit? Maybe a Control E + 2 function?

The sim's torque settings vs airspeeds are also off. In level flight (near sea level, clean config) a 1015 ft-lbs of TQ setting will approximate 190-200 kias depending on the individual plane/engine. Other "gouge settings" used in the real plane are: 750-800 ft-lbs for 170 kias "Fast Cruise", 600-650 ft-lbs for 150 kias "Normal Cruise", and 450-500 ft-lbs for 120 kias (slow cruise). Normal climbs are at 1015 ft-lbs (with engine exhaust bottoms on horizon) at 120 kias. Enroute descents are 300 ft-lbs for 150 kias. Downwind Configurations in the pattern with gear down, flaps up is 500-550 ft-lbs for 100 kias and Landing Approach Configuration on final with gear and flaps down are 600 ft-lbs for 90 kias.

I know its detailed, but if there is anyway to adjust these settings in the sim, it would make for much more realistic training and simming!

As for the prop look during engine-off, it actually "feathers" automatically via spring (to help in case of engine failure in the air). The leading edge of the prop on the ground is actually facing forward, not left and right as depicted in the sim. Dont know if we can fix that without AS's help.

If anyone is interested in the actual publications the Navy issues us to learn to fly the T-34C check out:

https://www.cnatra.navy.mil/pubs/ppub_t34_pri.htm

Specifically the "Contact Flight Training Instruction T-34C" for just an intro to what we do with the plane, power settings, landing and departure patterns, ect. And for the more advanced instrument simmers, check out the "FTI Instruments" pub. All of our standard procedures from a holding pattern to shooting approaches is discussed.

I know these are small details, and it speaks volumes for AlphaSim's homework to depict the T-34C so realistically on the initial release. I love this plane, its a MUST-HAVE addition for any FSX enthusiast. Ill continue to fly it as is, as its a great tool for any student pilot flying the T-34C's here at Whiting Field.

If anyone has any questions, or can help in a config change for the T-34C let me know, Id be glad to provide technical knowledge on the "real-deal".

djscoo
November 9th, 2008, 17:35
Me a lost puppy...I brought it,installed it, all it do is smoke ...da engine shuts off and when I start it the sound comes on but da prop don't turn....also where did you guys DL the 160 page manual:isadizzy:
I got the manual and read it, but I still can't get the dang thing to start! I give up for today :banghead:

jmig
November 9th, 2008, 18:24
Hello All. Im a newbie here, but joined to continue the T-34C discussion. I agree the sim model is AWESOME! Even better than the ones we are provided by the Navy in the MicroSim simulators (not the actual T-34C sims we use for instrument training though, they are quite a bit more pricey!!). I actually have about 110 hours in the real thing here at Whiting Field and would like to get in touch with someone who can do something about these fixes as I dont have the FSX know-how to accomplish.

First off, as discussed previously, the start sequence is not realistic. The individuals are correct in stating fuel control to the engine for start is governed by the prop condition lever (middle of the tree levers on the left side of the cockpit). The "red pull handle" is actually used in the real plane as a pilot-safe release to secure the fuel via the condition lever. You have to pull it and retard the condition lever to "Fuel Off" to shutdown the engine. Prevents an inadvertent shut-down mid flight or on the ground when messing with the condition lever for ground runup and EP simulations.

In reality, all you need to do to start the engine is to turn the battery on, activate the starter, and introduce fuel by moving the prop condition (the middle) lever to "Fuel On", then secure the starter.

Second, the ignition switch in the real plane is spring loaded to the "ON" position always, its not a 2-position as depicted in the sim. You actually have to hold it down during certain EPs.

Third, the CDI is waaay to touchy to use with a mouse. any way to make the course select knob turn like the FSX King Air?

Fourth, the strobes on the real plane all flash at the same time, not wings, then tail as depicted in the sim.

Fifth, anyway to open the rear cockpit? Maybe a Control E + 2 function?

The sim's torque settings vs airspeeds are also off. In level flight (near sea level, clean config) a 1015 ft-lbs of TQ setting will approximate 190-200 kias depending on the individual plane/engine. Other "gouge settings" used in the real plane are: 750-800 ft-lbs for 170 kias "Fast Cruise", 600-650 ft-lbs for 150 kias "Normal Cruise", and 450-500 ft-lbs for 120 kias (slow cruise). Normal climbs are at 1015 ft-lbs (with engine exhaust bottoms on horizon) at 120 kias. Enroute descents are 300 ft-lbs for 150 kias. Downwind Configurations in the pattern with gear down, flaps up is 500-550 ft-lbs for 100 kias and Landing Approach Configuration on final with gear and flaps down are 600 ft-lbs for 90 kias.

I know its detailed, but if there is anyway to adjust these settings in the sim, it would make for much more realistic training and simming!

As for the prop look during engine-off, it actually "feathers" automatically via spring (to help in case of engine failure in the air). The leading edge of the prop on the ground is actually facing forward, not left and right as depicted in the sim. Dont know if we can fix that without AS's help.

If anyone is interested in the actual publications the Navy issues us to learn to fly the T-34C check out:

https://www.cnatra.navy.mil/pubs/ppub_t34_pri.htm

Specifically the "Contact Flight Training Instruction T-34C" for just an intro to what we do with the plane, power settings, landing and departure patterns, ect. And for the more advanced instrument simmers, check out the "FTI Instruments" pub. All of our standard procedures from a holding pattern to shooting approaches is discussed.

I know these are small details, and it speaks volumes for AlphaSim's homework to depict the T-34C so realistically on the initial release. I love this plane, its a MUST-HAVE addition for any FSX enthusiast. Ill continue to fly it as is, as its a great tool for any student pilot flying the T-34C's here at Whiting Field.

If anyone has any questions, or can help in a config change for the T-34C let me know, Id be glad to provide technical knowledge on the "real-deal".

Thanks Gator for the information. I hope someone from Alphasim takes your comments to heart and does something about them. It would speak volumes about their commitment to as real as possible sims.

wildcat400
November 9th, 2008, 21:30
I broke down and bought it about an hour ago. It's going to take me a while to learn the start up procedures by heart.
Here I am about to taxi at NAS Pensacola:

fsafranek
November 9th, 2008, 21:55
Thanks Gator for the information. I hope someone from Alphasim takes your comments to heart and does something about them. It would speak volumes about their commitment to as real as possible sims.
:icon_eek:

GatorFlyer, the information is indeed interesting and appreciated.

Page 16 in the manual explains how to get in touch with Alphasim either by email or the support forum. Some of us frequent here but not everyone. If you want the information to get to the right people that is the best course.
:ernae:

GatorFlyer
November 10th, 2008, 07:26
Heres something I posted over in the other T-34C thread on how to start the sim model, hope it helps, works for me:

In reality, all you need to do to start the engine is to turn the battery on, activate the starter, and introduce fuel by moving the prop condition (the middle) lever to "Fuel On", then secure the starter. As for how the sim is set up now, the most realistic start would follow:

1. Ensure all switches off ("fuel lever"{in up position}, starter, ignition, inverters, generator, avionics) and condition lever (middle lever) all the way aft (called the "Feathered" position in the real plane).
2. Battery on, Strobes on
3. Starter and Ignition (not auto ignition) switches on.
4. Fuel "lever" up (in actual plane it would be condition lever as stated above)
5. Starter and ignition switches off after lightoff and ITT peak.
6. Advance condition lever all the way forward (called the "Full Increase" position in the real plane).
7. And you're good to takeoff after energizing generator, inverters, avionics.

Heres the link to the other thread: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=3275

Ive posted some pics of the real T-34C's panel and landing configs on the other thread if anyone is interested.

wildcat400
November 10th, 2008, 07:36
Thank you. It's frustrating as heck watching black smoke come from the engine ,and then watching the prop turn 10 times before shutting off on it's own.

VCN-1
November 10th, 2008, 08:42
Ive posted some pics of the real T-34C's panel and landing configs on the other thread if anyone is interested.

Personally I would like to see more images. I know the texture artist can never get enough detailed images.

I see the repaints are starting to hit AVSIM.

VCN-1

wildcat400
November 10th, 2008, 09:08
I see the repaints are starting to hit AVSIM.

Just added it to my inventory:
(about to start up at KNPA)

Pepere
November 10th, 2008, 10:34
I have to re-emphasize this statement. The sound is so immersive, it's like you're "really there" in the seat....Hearing the blower fan spool up and shut down...to the gear-up warning sounds...

The sounds stand out...

P - don't you have something better to do. :costumes:

David

hinch
November 10th, 2008, 17:43
Looks really good but I don't think I can buy a plane that ugly!

Roger
November 11th, 2008, 11:53
I finally cracked:costumes:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/rogera/T34c-1.jpg

FrankCobretti
March 27th, 2017, 06:31
As soon as it loads goto the red fuel switch right behind the throttle and click on it then go to the right side and turn on the starter switch,and it should fire up.

Thanks, Thoe. I was scratching my head for a while, but your directions made this easy.

Portia911
March 27th, 2017, 13:05
Seriously?
9 years on, and you say it was 'easy' !?! :biggrin-new:

fsafranek
March 27th, 2017, 20:46
Wish I could go nine years back.
:ernaehrung004:

WarHorse47
March 28th, 2017, 06:01
Wish I could go nine years back.
:ernaehrung004:Same here.

Speaking of which, I have a question for you Frank.

I just picked up the Virtavia release of the T-34C the other day. I'm surprised I didn't find this gem earlier.

In looking for repaints, I came across many of your for the FSX AlphaSim version. I noticed that they didn't have any spec files. Will they still work with the latest release? Or another question, have you ever considered updating them for the latest version?

Just wondering. Thanks. :encouragement:

rsgunner
March 28th, 2017, 09:31
A few textures I did when it was released.

http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/fslib.php?searchid=55150710

Russ

WarHorse47
March 28th, 2017, 11:55
A few textures I did when it was released.

http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/fslib.php?searchid=55150710

RussI believe I found and installed six (6) yours and one by Bob "BananaBob" Rivera. All of them had spec files. The others belong to Frank and I wasn't sure how they would work as they lacked the spec files.

BTW, your link gave ne the following:

No Files matched your search criteria.Just so you know... :biggrin-new:

rsgunner
March 28th, 2017, 12:37
Strange the link went belly up.

Russ

davido53
March 28th, 2017, 20:04
It is for sale for $14 at PCAviator