PDA

View Full Version : The A-10 proving invaluable again ...

Snuffy
March 23rd, 2010, 09:46
Stellar in the Iraqi war, the A-10 is now making a comeback in Afghanistan.

http://www.michaelyon-online.com/warthog.htm

Allen
March 23rd, 2010, 13:35
A plane that the USAF will never get arid of.

Ferry_vO
March 23rd, 2010, 13:51
Yep, sometimes you don't need stealth, JDAMs and fancy computers, but just a sturdy aircraft carrying a lot of missiles and bombs and one big frikking gun! :ernae:

Toastmaker
March 23rd, 2010, 15:06
It should be making a comeback - it's the greatest ground support device ever built.

kilo delta
March 23rd, 2010, 15:28
Always loved the Hawg. They've a distinctive sound...never got to hear the GAU tho' :(

Piglet
March 23rd, 2010, 15:33
I'd like to know how that dent got on the Warthog nose in that one pic....
The Hog shouldn't of had to make a "comeback" if it was valued properly.

gecko65
March 23rd, 2010, 15:56
I remember when the Air Force was seriously thinking of getting rid of them. Now they have the upgraded C model. Love to watch them fly around here.

Thanks for the link, Snuffy.

redriver6
March 23rd, 2010, 20:52
I'd like to know how that dent got on the Warthog nose in that one pic....
The Hog shouldn't of had to make a "comeback" if it was valued properly.

i used to wonder about the dents too...because almost every Hawg i've looked at has em in the nose....

i think i figured it out.....look at these pictures and see if those dents look a little bit like the shape of the refueling drouge thingy...

the dents in these aren't nearly as bad as some but i purty sure thats what causes it.

demorier
March 24th, 2010, 00:50
Very versatile aircraft...thanks for the pic's.

Toastmaker
March 24th, 2010, 03:12
Always loved the Hawg. They've a distinctive sound...never got to hear the GAU tho' :(

Yes you have - every time you pull up your zipper !

jmig
March 24th, 2010, 03:23
That is an awesome article. Loved the pictures.

I hear tell that Aerosoft is working on one in their Skunkworks for FSX.

Bjoern
March 24th, 2010, 10:09
I bet if the A-10 didn't have it's 0.5L beer bottle size bullet shooting gun and the butt-ugly looks it wouldn't be as popular.

Odie
March 24th, 2010, 10:29
I remember when the Air Force was seriously thinking of getting rid of them. Now they have the upgraded C model. Love to watch them fly around here.

Thanks for the link, Snuffy.

In fact, when the AF was considering retiring the A-10, that Army was saying, "Hey, give them to us to operate if you don't want them!" Such was the value to the troops for CAS, the Army was wanting to keep them in the air at any cost.

redriver6
March 24th, 2010, 11:19
'Shoot to Thrill'
2bMfrixJyWc&feature=related

GT182
March 24th, 2010, 16:31
Smartest theing the AF ever did was decide to keep them flying.

I used to watch the Warhogs do their practice maneuvers at Fort Drum up in Watertown, NY. Impressive as all hell! http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/GT182/Thumbup.gif

Thanks for the video Red. Fantastic!

Ken Stallings
March 24th, 2010, 17:01
The A-10 never left Afghanistan. In terms of value, well, it never was anything else!

Ken

demorier
March 25th, 2010, 01:07
The worst job in the world ?....an Iraqi tank crewman.