PDA

View Full Version : CFS 1 help required

mvoukirakis
March 23rd, 2010, 07:14
I have a state of the art PC, running XP pro, yes dual core and all with expensive video card but i have been unable to load and run cfs 1 on this machine for i dont know which reason! Anybody has suggestions?

minuteman10
March 23rd, 2010, 08:03
Are you saying that the "autorun" does not start? Have you tried to manually start the loadup? Click on the Start button on your taskbar, then on RUN. Type D:\Setup and then click OK. If your CD-ROM drive letter is different, substitute that letter. CFS should run like a champ on your rig!

mvoukirakis
March 23rd, 2010, 08:13
Sometimes, autorun will start the installation, then it will stop and freeze

minuteman10
March 23rd, 2010, 14:56
Was it ever installed on this machine?....Sounds like remnants maybe left...or a registry error...Check the "Add or Remove Programs" list in the Control Panel. Check your hard drive to see if a folder exists...
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games...is there a Combat Flight Sim folder?
...Just to be sure...are you loading the full game or Custom? Does it seem to freeze at the same point...which is?

mvoukirakis
March 24th, 2010, 10:09
no matter what i try, as soon as put the disc in, it wants to start and it just freeze. I boght this game when it came out and today it is still one of my favorite. Should i send it back to Bill G ?

hubbabubba
March 24th, 2010, 11:20
Sounds like a faulty disc...:isadizzy:... or CD-DVD-ROM...:isadizzy:

SOLUTION= Try running it in another CD or DVD reader, or try another CD game installation.

If the reader is OK, then the disc is not...duh!

Clean it, or have it cleaned. Video stores are now equipped with "resurfacing" machines that will shave a thin layer of the resin. It does wonders on our 2nd hand videos! Should work the same on a game CD.

minuteman10
March 25th, 2010, 11:44
~S~...Hubba may be right...it might be that simple! There really should be NO reason that CFS won't load into your machine. Try a disc cleaning...might be a scratch or something that won't allow the upload to continue! My suggestions are based upon the possibility that you may have remnants of a previous upload. If that is not the case, then I am on the wrong track! Let us know and we'll keep at it to get you up and running...:jump:

SdC Redux
March 25th, 2010, 11:54
Some newer DVD drives have problems reading cfs1/2 disks because the copy protection is so crude and primitive (a few specific sectors are mutilated, the game checks these sector; read error=original disk).
If you can find another PC that can read the disk, try making a copy. Even if the burning software can't handle the copy protection for disk-to-disk clone, you could copy the setup files to hard disk and then to CD (or install over the network); the copy-protection-check is not done during installation, only on game launch.

safn1949
April 2nd, 2010, 12:40
I could be all wet here but check your resolution and video settings,if set too high the game will flip out and crash.I find that it doesn't like much over 1024x768 and sometimes not even that.:d