PDA

View Full Version : I've got a project in mind ...

Snuffy
March 23rd, 2010, 06:15
BUT its probably WAY too big to get done, but I'm gonna try.

I'll leave ya with this much info ... It has to do with the early glory days of steam. 1800s.

I'm in the middle of a bunch of research right now, as well as trying to determine if there is rolling stock and locos available for this.

If not, I may end up having to learn some modeling software to build my own stuff.

As I progress with this I'll keep you posted.

Henry
March 23rd, 2010, 07:33
i have one also
but its hard to do
i wish there was a top down view
to lay tracks etc maybe there is and i do not know?
H

Snuffy
March 23rd, 2010, 08:04
Not sure about laying track in a plan view H, but I do know that if you're in Railworks, if you press the "9" key on the keyboard you're taken to a plan view with a black background of the route you're in.

Pressing the "9" key takes you back to the 3D world.

mariereid
March 23rd, 2010, 08:25
Henery, that is something that I would find interesting. Sort of a model railroader's train sim. I could just imagine building a layout that depicts the time just before steam locos faded away. Maybe an old narrow gauge logging layout. I better get my nose outa here, I am supposed to be working in the add-ons archive. See ya:ernae:

Henry
March 23rd, 2010, 10:15
as a kid
i allways used to see the Queen go to sandringham
from Liverpool st to Kings Lynn
steam trains then changed to diesels now electric
Both my grand parents worked on the LNER
i have a 1898 LNER clock on my wall
still have a whistle:jump:
H

gajit
March 23rd, 2010, 10:26
wow - that must have been great Henry

warchild
March 23rd, 2010, 11:03
i dont have any projects i'm working on at the moment, but i gotta admit, i've been looking real hard at some mighty fine looking N scale stuff and contemplating the future of my kitchen ::lol:;..

i was reminded above of one n scale railroad i saw in a magazine years ago. it modeled a mining community that was at the bottom of some gorge. Awesome awesome looking layout. tressles and swichbacks all over the place. That reminded me of an engine that i dont know if its ever been made in N scale or virtual. i forget the manufacturer at the moment and even its nomenclature, but, it was made for mining. its Steam pistons were mounted vertically and powered a worm gear that turned the wheels. Damned thing could go up a 7 percent grade ( and still does outside of santa cruz california ) without breaking a sweat.. http://www.roaringcamp.com/steam.html takes you right too the steam engine, but it doesnt identify it.. Perhaps others will recognize it..

Heres a closeup of the one i rode on.. apparently its a Shay. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:ClassCShaySonoraJuly2006.jpg
and heres the wiki for the entire lineup.. :) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roaring_Camp_and_Big_Trees_Narrow_Gauge_Railroad

Snuffy
March 25th, 2010, 18:59
Almost have all my kml information put together for the start of my project! :)

Snuffy
March 27th, 2010, 08:54
Okay, I think I got enough information to start ... here goes nothing.

(unfortunately I won't have anything to run on the system when I get it built. :(

Gramps
March 27th, 2010, 09:14
Hey Snuffy,

If your ready to start I'd check an see if DEMEX works for the sim your makin it for. Demex uses real world dems to make the terrain. I know it works for msts, just not sure about anything else.

If the one your usin is like msts , when ya start all ya have is flat terrain....................usin demex when ya go into the route builder it'll have all the hills ,valleys, etc..... already there. Then ya just lay your track on it.

MUCH better than makin the terrain by hand.

It is payware tho, but worth every penny.

Now this is goin by msts experience..........the sim your usin might already have the right terrain in it.

Snuffy
March 27th, 2010, 10:59
Railworks is as flat as a piece of paper ... or so they say.

I've got ReDem downloaded, haven't installed it yet. They say Railworks will work with ReDem and there is also a package called RW_Tools, also downloaded and not installed yet.

I was busy researching my project, much of which doesn't exist any more so I'm kinda going as close to reality as I can as well as making some of it up. I have a couple more books I've ordered on the way to the house, should be here early next week, that'll help me hopefully in the proper placement of the lines.

I got my Kml file from Google Earth all plotted out and I got my markers in place as well in the Kml .. hopefully, it won't take much to get a real to life looking piece of terraforming laid out.

Thanks for the tips and reading my seemingly worthless posts Gramps! :salute:

Gramps
March 27th, 2010, 12:36
Not worthless to me...............................prolly won't be able to help any tho.

Prolly couldn't help much in msts, but at least I could ACT like I knew what I was talkin bout,LOL.

Henry
March 29th, 2010, 12:40
im still getting more education
but at least i got a track and a train running
H

Snuffy
April 1st, 2010, 04:04
Well you're doing better than I am then H.

I'm still trying to get my head around the file types and all like that there. Much of my time up to this point has been researching a line that doesn't exist any more and doesn't have much evidence laying around today that it even existed at all.

But I know it existed, because certain history books are full of pictures of the line.

Henry
April 1st, 2010, 11:54
snuffy rw tools is a great program
it gives you 20 times for free
then a donation is needed
give the guy a donation its worth it
its helped me a lot
it is a sloooow learning curve
but there are some good things out there to play with
i downloaded bn Big horne sub division
here http://www.trainsim.com/file.php?cm=INDEXCALL&sPos=20
its an empty route you just add trains etc
a great way of learning how to do it
H

Snuffy
April 1st, 2010, 12:31
'Enry, I've already bought RW_Tools and ReDem ...

Like ya said ... its a slow curve, and of course typical of me, I'm probably trying to do too much too soon. :banghead:

Henry
April 1st, 2010, 12:34
yup i started a new route
forget that for the moment
just playing with other routes
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b327/henrybaker/mossie/210/Screenshot_BNBigHornSubdivision_448.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b327/henrybaker/mossie/210/Screenshot_ThePortRoadV30_5494736--.jpg
H

Snuffy
April 1st, 2010, 15:00
Damn H!!

That's Awesome!

Snuffy
April 18th, 2010, 11:02
FINALLY!!!

After a month of messing with RailWorks, I finally got it figured out how to import 1/3 arc terrain and get a rail path laid down.

Now I'm in the process of massaging the world to make it look a little better! No tracks yet.

eddie
April 18th, 2010, 11:22
Sounds good Snuffy, you should show us rookies some progress shots when you can! I'm still working on installing scenery that's already been made, let alone start one of my own,lol

Snuffy
April 18th, 2010, 15:24
Sounds good Snuffy, you should show us rookies some progress shots when you can! I'm still working on installing scenery that's already been made, let alone start one of my own,lol

Well it aint much ...

http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu123/Snuffys_bucket/citypoint.jpg

Gramps
April 18th, 2010, 16:12
good start tho!!

Henry
April 18th, 2010, 16:43
there is a brewery in there some where
Correct:wiggle:
good one
better start than i got
H

eddie
April 18th, 2010, 16:57
That's looking good Snuffy, we all got to start somewhere!:ernae:

Snuffy
April 18th, 2010, 18:41
That's looking good Snuffy, we all got to start somewhere!:ernae:

Anybody care to take a guess ...

Matt Wynn
April 20th, 2010, 03:54
Anybody care to take a guess ...

we all have to start by whistling or singin' "I've been workin' on the railroad..."

i have that habit when trying to do tracks in that.... :wavey:

Henry
April 20th, 2010, 05:28
we all have to start by whistling or singin' "I've been workin' on the railroad..."

i have that habit when trying to do tracks in that.... :wavey:
we sing Casey Jones on this side of the pond:wiggle:
LOL
H

txnetcop
April 20th, 2010, 05:46
Henry the layout you and Gramps have shown are really making me lick my chops. I can hardly wait to get started but it will be a little while yet-darn! Those layouts are AWESOME!!!
Ted

Snuffy
April 20th, 2010, 05:46
No takers on trying to figure out where I am or what I'm doing?

Its a real place. ... And use to be a real RR.

txnetcop
April 20th, 2010, 06:22
I'm singing the song...don't know if Dinah is caboose cook or the name of the Engine? The song doesn't give a location...still thinking
Ted

eddie
April 20th, 2010, 13:31
Well, I can't give an exact location yet Snuffy, but would guess its either off one of the Great Lakes, or near the ocean somewhere!

Snuffy
April 20th, 2010, 16:26
Well, I can't give an exact location yet Snuffy, but would guess its either off one of the Great Lakes, or near the ocean somewhere!

Thanks Eddie ... I was beginning to feel ignored in my own thread ...

Actually large river.

eddie
April 21st, 2010, 15:52
Well, not real good with train line history, so I'll guess somewhere on the Mississippi?

Snuffy
May 3rd, 2010, 06:57
Well I did it finally. Without much help or instruction from 3DCanvas or their forums (not used much,) I finally got 3DC working, and I finally figured out how to get an AutoCAD generated 3D model into 3DC.

Now all I gotta do is figure out how to go from 3DC to Trainworks. :mixedsmi: