PDA

View Full Version : Bristol Legends Race

PRB
March 22nd, 2010, 15:19
Anyone see this race Saturday night? This was an interesting event, supposed to honor the NASCAR drivers of old. Problem came when there was a crash involving Charlie Glotzbach and Larry Pearson (son of David Pearson, who was also in the race), in which Glotzbach's car plowed into the driver side “door” of Pearson's stationary car after Pearson spun.

The ESPN talking heads were yukking it up before the race about how some of these old timers were not wearing HANS devices, or gloves, or full face helmets. And the cars, which looked like Busch series cars, did not have the foamy stuff in the sides like the current Busch cars do, even though they're not COTs. But, at the time of the crash, they were running lap times equal to the cup cars...

Looks like Larry Pearson will recover, but he was hurt pretty bad, broken ankle and hip.

Terry
March 23rd, 2010, 02:49
I saw it and kept thinking to myself, why are they out there at those speeds, and at their age with subpar safety gear. I'm sure the legend races in the future, if there are any, will be a lot slower with better gear. This was a big screw up on someones part.

Cazzie
March 23rd, 2010, 05:03
Yes I did and like Terry, I expected a big one at the speeds they were running.

But it was an accident and it happens in racing.

If you remember the Australian F-1 event where Juan Manual Fangio and Nigel Manshell were racing balls out. It's in their blood/ It is really sad when events occur such as Saturday's and all the best to Larry Pearson. But these old men know they risk, they have been there, done that, and still wear the dirty T-shirt.

I doubt you will ever see another Legend's race unless they in extremely stepped down racers. Even then, they'll wreck each other, it's old school. I certainly was enjoying the event until the crash, I grew up watching those old men race live.

I'll be going to Martinsville Sunday, it's just 30 miles up the road west. Look for rain or snow, it always does one or the other.

Caz