PDA

View Full Version : question on high dog fighting with bf109 huns

loverboy1
March 22nd, 2010, 12:16
which version spit ......does one feel is the most effective for such air battles,,,,,at 10,000 feet up

hairyspin
March 22nd, 2010, 13:55
Historically, the Mk XII with the first Griffon engine, so give 'em hell with a Mk XIV!

loverboy1
March 22nd, 2010, 16:10
eto,version ....

HouseHobbit
March 22nd, 2010, 20:27
That's easy, Whichever one I am flying is the Best..LOL..

The Mk IVX is the best But she wasn't around during the early war years.. Check Asda Offers (https://www.ladysavings.com/publix-weekly-ad/?asda/) and Aldi Offers (https://www.ladysavings.com/publix-weekly-ad/?aldi/).
I gress it depends which Era you are flying to which Spit is best.

That is If you think there is a good spit..

Overall the Best "spit" is a P-51 Mustang..LOL..Overall that is..LOL..LOL..

I gress I just set back British/American relations again haven't I. LOL..

loverboy1
March 23rd, 2010, 05:05
hobbit.. your at it ...rofl,

:jump:

greycap.raf
March 23rd, 2010, 06:55
Below 10.000 feet I think the Mk XII is the best, still relatively light, manoeuvrable and especially wickedly fast rolling. From 10.000 feet to 20.000 feet I'd pick the LF IX, more altitude capabilities than the Mk XII and standard wing tips to provide some extra lift in the thinner air. From there up it's either HF IX or Mk XIV depending on if you want to sacrifice some speed for agility or the other way round. But if only one all round version was allowed I'd go with the LF IX, fast enough to hang with the Luftwaffe aircraft in a straight line without losing too much ground and able to give them absolute hell in turning.

And about the Mustang being a better Spitfire... yep, better at going fast over a long distance. At a turning fight against a Spitfire its chances equal those of a snowball in a furnace as the laminar flow wing lacks lift but the aircraft certainly doesn't lack weight.

ndicki
March 23rd, 2010, 09:17
i agree with Rene, except that I do tend to favour the MkXIVe over the MkIX; if you lose a bit of manoeuvrability it doesn't matter much if you're up against late-war German fighters anyway - you'll still have a good edge to allow you to turn out of a problem, and bags of power to help you become one. I would definitely take a MkIX against Italian or Jap fighters though - they're that bit more agile.

Personally, I wouldn't dogfight in a Mustang for love or money! Too heavy, not enough turning ability.

HouseHobbit
March 23rd, 2010, 10:03
You haven't seen My mustang.. LOL.
To be honest, I really like the Mk IX for most use in the game, and for the eariler missions I like The MkVc with the 20mm cannons..
Great guns there..

As for the early spits mk I and II's they are good enough to use in against the bf 109e's
But seen to fall short against the later 109's..And FW 190's..

But as we all know the stock Fw 190's in the game Do NOT show how great this aircraft really was.
The CFS3 Fw 190's are like flying a Brick..granted above 20k and higher the Fw 190 was a DOG, but from sea level to about 20k they were great aircraft, after all it did have the fastest roll rate of ANY aircraft during the war..
And in a Good pilots hands was a force to be dealt with..

And my dig at the Brits and their Loved Spit, I couldn't help it..
At least the lights worked..Sometimes, remember the guy who did the electical stuff on the Triumph Bikes also did the electical stuff on the Spits too.
Didn't they call Him the "Prince of darkness".."Lucus"

ndicki
March 23rd, 2010, 12:16
Lucas - King of the Road!

Galand
March 27th, 2010, 13:02
I tried the MK XIV at 20,000 feet. At the least twich of the stick the spit goes into an irrecoverable flat spin. Realism on "hard". Why would that be and how to get out of the spin?
maybe i am too brutal in my flying.