PDA

View Full Version : Pizza Hut Online and bogus monthly charges; beware!

Lionheart
March 22nd, 2010, 09:03
Hey guys,

I checked my online statement this morning and found a unknown charge for $12.00.

I call them and asked who they are and why did they charge my CC for $12.00? As it turns out, they say I signed up for a 'general discount service' (like a coupon service) at the Pizzahut.com website. lol...

Lets go back to early last year. I ordered a pizza online at Pizzahut.com. I had to fill out a membership form to order a pizza. I did. I then proceded to order my large combo with everything, extra meat, extra sauce... Takes a while to get through all the documentation online to get to finally being done, putting in my CC number, address, personal questions, etc....

45 min's later, knock on the door and there is my pizza... Plain, thin crust cheese.. lol..

I told him thats not what I ordered. He calls his boss, she says 'sir, thats what you ordered online, thats what we brought you.' I say fine. Keep your pizza, I'll go to Papa Johns.' I am usually very understanding as I have been in the service industry before (and still am) and understand how things can go wrong, and its better to fix a mistake then ruin future business, but this young lady was very firm in that I made the mistake, which hey, maybe I did... But I know I punched in the buttons for a thick crust combo with everything.

I then called Papa Johns and got me a nice, hot, thick crust combo... I havent been back to PH since.. (Its a shame, because their pizza is great, but their order method and management is scrap).

Now, nearly a year later, I find this $12.00 monthly charge has been going on all this time... lol...

I am ready to call the better business bureau. I wonder how many people are paying this $12.00 charge monthly and dont even know it...

If you order online at Pizza Hut, check your CC charges for a $12.00 charge. I can give you the name if you need it. In the charge, its an 800 number in Connecticut, but the name of the company is WebLoyalty.com (of all the names to choose for a company, lol).

Bill

pilottj
March 22nd, 2010, 09:16
That does seem a bit screwy. I used to usually go PJ's when I was in Prescott and thought it to be the better of the chain pizzas. Tho I did like to support the local in town places too if they had a good special, but they usually didnt deliver.

I don't know if they have a Papa Murphy's take n bake in your area but thats a favorite of mine here. Its not delivered and you have to pick it up yourself but for the money its a good deal. With a coupon we usually get a loaded extra large for 12-13 bucks. And since you bake it yourself you can make it how you like it, if you like it crispier or softer...etc

On the opposite end of price there is a really good NY pizza place near where I used to work run by this short old italian guy who was a preacher and a plumber...guess that makes him and his pizza pretty authentic LOL. The pizza was the best no doubt but upwards of 30 bucks for an extra large. But you get what you pay for I guess.

Cheers
TJ

brad kaste
March 22nd, 2010, 10:32
Bill,...your incident makes me that much more of a believer in just using the phone to place an order,...or just show up at the pizza joint and wait for it. Period.

Snuffy
March 22nd, 2010, 10:40
I order from PH online all the time.

I've never had to register or fill out a membership. They have an area where you can order as a guest and leave it there.

Granted ordering as a guest means you have to fill all your information out each time, but I'd rather do that than have to buy into something I don't use all the time.

:)

The same thing with any meal I order online to either have delivered or go pick up. I always sign on as a guest and just have to refill all my information each time.

To some degree, its better as a guest as they apparently don't store your information on file.

MCDesigns
March 22nd, 2010, 10:48
Another reason why I don't usually let any online company have my CC info, I usually order online from Dominoes and I always pay with cash. My ex wifes brother ran a Papa Johns and I couldn't stand their pizza. Papa Murphy's is ok, but I am lazy and want it done instead of cooking it myself, LOL. I have had Dominoes screw up my pizza a couple of times, but they always made it up to me somehow.

I find it very interesting that you refuse to use PH again because of the actions of one employee, one time. Funny I see both sides as I work in retail managment and while I will bend over to accomodate a customer, I will do just the opposite to a customer with an "I am the customer and I am always right attitude" LOL. The other day one of our bakeries had an oven go down and because of it, the variety of product was much less. A customer asked about something that wasn't out there and when the employee explained politely that the oven was down he became a total ahole and I had to show him the door, see ya!! :wavey:

Toastmaker
March 22nd, 2010, 11:05
MC, I think showing them the door is often better for them than having to show them the floor. . . Perhaps you did him a favor ?

Dain Arns
March 22nd, 2010, 12:26
Bill, I had them pull that "Cheese Pizza" crap on me before.
Last time I still had the order on the laptop for a Meat Lovers and politely shoved it up to the delivery guys face.
To their credit, they eventually brought one for free.
But I haven't ordered from them since then.

That "WebLoyalty" box was automatically checked when you signed up in the fine print there.
I almost missed it when I signed up as well. I think they caught heck about that.
I remember seeing a report on the news, they aren't the only company caught doing that online.
It was a pretty scathing report.

My pizza maker of choice anymore is Papa Murphy's.
Yeah, you have to pick it up and bake it, but the cost savings is great.
You get a Family sized pizza for at least half the price of the others, usually more.
The one here locally never skimps on any toppings.
And it's fresh made in front of you.
And in my opinion, tastes better than all the others.
Usually a couple slices of any of their stuffed pizzas will fill anyone up.

http://www.papamurphys.com/

lifejogger
March 22nd, 2010, 14:37
I tried to order online with PH once and when the order came up tp be paid it said it would be 60 minutes to deliver the Pizza, I thought no way and canceled it. I then called the local PH and they said it would be ready to pick up in twenty minutes or deliverd in 30. I wen and picked it up and saved having to tip the delivery person.

Snuffy
March 22nd, 2010, 14:45
I tried to order online with PH once and when the order came up tp be paid it said it would be 60 minutes to deliver the Pizza, ...

You should never live so far away from a pizza place ... LOL! :mixedsmi:

stiz
March 22nd, 2010, 15:19
never seen the point of ordering pizzas ... just buy em cheap from the supermarket, stick em in the freezer, cook as nessercy, done it 15/20 mins. And no body to tip, not that i tip em anyway, they are getting paid to do it anyway after all! :mixedsmi:

Willy
March 22nd, 2010, 15:39
Pizza Hut says I'm too far out for them to deliver, so I figure that they're too far off for me to go fetch. Shame as I do like their pizza.

Domino's will deliver, but I've never been that fond of them.

I usually just call the local pizza shop that don't deliver and make the 3/4 mile trip to get it. It's better pizza than Domino's and usually only takes about 15 mins for it to be ready.

Ken Stallings
March 22nd, 2010, 16:01
Bill,

Do more than just contact the BBB. You cannot be charged for something you did not directly authorize. And a website must require you to check a response to any terms or conditions, and in those terms and conditions, it must overtly say you agree to be charged an annual fee of $12.

If they cannot show you where you overtly agreed to this, then you can contact your state Attorney General and file a formal charge for interstate wire fraud. Then, you notify Pizza Hut.com and show them a letter from your state AG, and I will guarantee you'll get a full refund and never hear another peep out of them!

Of course, if you want to make an object lesson out of them, press forward on the lawsuit, especially if your AG is the type who enjoys taking companies who do this hidden trick play to task. Some AG's get a thrill doing this!

Ken

Ken Stallings
March 22nd, 2010, 16:08
Another reason why I don't usually let any online company have my CC info, I usually order online from Dominoes and I always pay with cash. My ex wifes brother ran a Papa Johns and I couldn't stand their pizza. Papa Murphy's is ok, but I am lazy and want it done instead of cooking it myself, LOL. I have had Dominoes screw up my pizza a couple of times, but they always made it up to me somehow.

I find it very interesting that you refuse to use PH again because of the actions of one employee, one time. Funny I see both sides as I work in retail managment and while I will bend over to accomodate a customer, I will do just the opposite to a customer with an "I am the customer and I am always right attitude" LOL. The other day one of our bakeries had an oven go down and because of it, the variety of product was much less. A customer asked about something that wasn't out there and when the employee explained politely that the oven was down he became a total ahole and I had to show him the door, see ya!! :wavey:

Michael,

I can certainly sympathize with your natural frustration dealing with an overly demanding customer. But, the unavoidable conclusion is that the customer has the gold and in business the golden rule always applies!

So, yes, the customers are, sincerely, truly, always right. And as your competition gets stiffer, the paying dude or dudette at your counter becomes even more right. :engel016:

Cheers,

Ken

Ken Stallings
March 22nd, 2010, 16:09
Pizza Hut says I'm too far out for them to deliver, so I figure that they're too far off for me to go fetch. Shame as I do like their pizza.

Domino's will deliver, but I've never been that fond of them.

I usually just call the local pizza shop that don't deliver and make the 3/4 mile trip to get it. It's better pizza than Domino's and usually only takes about 15 mins for it to be ready.

I'm curious if anyone's had one of these so-called, advertised, new and improved Dominoes pizzas?

If so, what's your verdict?

Ken

MCDesigns
March 22nd, 2010, 16:53
Michael,

I can certainly sympathize with your natural frustration dealing with an overly demanding customer. But, the unavoidable conclusion is that the customer has the gold and in business the golden rule always applies!

So, yes, the customers are, sincerely, truly, always right. And as your competition gets stiffer, the paying dude or dudette at your counter becomes even more right. :engel016:

Cheers,

Ken

Ken, I don't view it as frustrating, it's black and white, some people in the world just need to stay away from others as they really don't know how to act/behave. I have found that if you allow someone to act one way/do something wrong, then they will continue to do it, just like kids (don't get me started on bad parents, geeze). While I'm sure most of my bosses will agree with you, luckily my immediate district supervisor feels like I do that you need to have some principles to live by and that some select customers, no matter how green their money is, should be shown the door. :wavey:

GT182
March 22nd, 2010, 17:20
Last time the wife and I were in a PH we sat in one of the only 2 clean booths in the place. And all the tables were filthy from the hogs that had been there before us. The waite staff was running aroud jawing with the TO customers and arguing amongst themselves ove God knows what. Needless to say we don't do PH anymore and we never never order online from any pizza place.

I'd rather make my own Sicilian pizza the way mom used to.... Hot Roll mix and her own idea on the fixins. Never failed to be good eats, or cold when you got it.

rpjkw
March 22nd, 2010, 19:40
Shame on you, Bill, for starting a thread dealing with PIZZA. Now I want pizza!!!! It's 9:30 PM here and way too late to indulge. Guess that's what I get for reading forums so late. LOL

I haven't been to any of the pizza chains in years since we have two very good local pizzerias within two miles. Only one delivers, but both accept call ins, so it's usually a matter of flipping a coin to decide.

But, NOW I have a real yen for a Pizza Hut pizza. Since my other half doesn't like PH, I guess I'll sneak over tomorrow and bring home a supreme and enjoy myself. Muhahaha. I used to love Dominoe's (still do) but that was before 'she-who-must-be-obeyed' came on the scene.

Bob

Lionheart
March 22nd, 2010, 21:37
Shame on you, Bill, for starting a thread dealing with PIZZA. Now I want pizza!!!! It's 9:30 PM here and way too late to indulge. Guess that's what I get for reading forums so late. LOL

I haven't been to any of the pizza chains in years since we have two very good local pizzerias within two miles. Only one delivers, but both accept call ins, so it's usually a matter of flipping a coin to decide.

But, NOW I have a real yen for a Pizza Hut pizza. Since my other half doesn't like PH, I guess I'll sneak over tomorrow and bring home a supreme and enjoy myself. Muhahaha. I used to love Dominoe's (still do) but that was before 'she-who-must-be-obeyed' came on the scene.

Bob

LOLOLOL...

Sorry man..

Thank you Lord for Pizza! MMMM mmmmmmmmmmm....

n4gix
March 23rd, 2010, 10:20
And no body to tip, not that i tip em anyway, they are getting paid to do it anyway after all! :mixedsmi:

Having several times in the past had to supplement my income as a pizza delivery person, I take exception to that mistaken notion. Pizza delivery folks do not typically get paid much at all. With rare exceptions, they are certainly not on an hourly wage. They are treated as "contract employees" and are paid a very, very tiny percentage for each delivery, and then only if completed within the time limits.

One place I "worked for" actually required delivery persons to pay in advance for the pizzas to be delivered. If we failed to collect on delivery, not only did we not earn a dime, we literally "ate the costs!"

The only time I really made any real "profit" from pizza delivery was when I used my Honda 350 instead of a car... :jump:

BTW, if you really, really want terrific pizzas, shop at Aldi's if you're luck enough to have one nearby. Their "Mamma Cozzi's" pizzas come in some very interesting combinations (my local Aldi's usually stocks a dozen different combos), and are priced at an amazingly low $2.99 to $3.99, depending on the number of toppings...

The crust is thin, but when baked becomes quite crisp, so when you pick up a slice to eat it doesn't droop... :)