PDA

View Full Version : Downsizing Sucks!

OBIO
March 22nd, 2010, 06:58
Yesterday, I began spring cleaning my office/sim room. One of the tasks that I endured was an inventory and recalculation of my hat "collection"...not really a collection as I wear them. I began this process by pulling all of my ball caps out of my closet and tossing them into a pile in the middle of the floor.......what a pile it was! I then went through the pile, one hat at a time....determining the likelihood of future wearing...based on how much I like the hat and how comfortable it is. In the end, 13 caps did not make the cut....hats that I bought on impulse because they looked cool, but weren't really all that comfy or hats that I did not wear for one reason or another...like the 3 Dale Earnhardt hats that I have been holding onto as a momento to his greatness. 13 caps that are now destined for a trip to either a local thrift store or to a local auction house (Deb and I are taking most of the stuff we no longer want or need to the auction house......if we make $20 on it, that is $20 more than we had before).

I am not quite sure that I can make it with just the 25 caps that I kept......going to be tough for sure.

OBIO

Dain Arns
March 22nd, 2010, 07:06
Yesterday, I began spring cleaning my office/sim room. One of the tasks that I endured was an inventory and recalculation of my hat "collection"...not really a collection as I wear them. I began this process by pulling all of my ball caps out of my closet and tossing them into a pile in the middle of the floor.......what a pile it was! I then went through the pile, one hat at a time....determining the likelihood of future wearing...based on how much I like the hat and how comfortable it is. In the end, 13 caps did not make the cut....hats that I bought on impulse because they looked cool, but weren't really all that comfy or hats that I did not wear for one reason or another...like the 3 Dale Earnhardt hats that I have been holding onto as a momento to his greatness. 13 caps that are now destined for a trip to either a local thrift store or to a local auction house (Deb and I are taking most of the stuff we no longer want or need to the auction house......if we make $20 on it, that is $20 more than we had before).

I am not quite sure that I can make it with just the 25 caps that I kept......going to be tough for sure.

OBIO

I hear ya. Lot of things are going to be leaving here too.
They can go be someone else's "treasures". :icon_lol:

Toastmaker
March 22nd, 2010, 07:34
38 caps and only one head ?? Sounds a bit like the Imelda Marcos of baseball caps. . . LOL

brad kaste
March 22nd, 2010, 08:31
....Yeah,...it's kinda' strange where you'll have a collection of ball caps stashed in the clothes closet but you'll only wear one or two of them. Much like T-shirts and flannel shirts,...one will will have his favorites only to ignore the rest. Hard to figure out.....

OBIO
March 22nd, 2010, 08:43
Honestly, the 25 that I kept...I wear...not all at once...but I wear each of them at least once a month. I wear a ball cap/hat anytime I leave the house. I like hats. Before I leave, I open my closet door, take a look at my hats hanging there...and which ever one catches my eye gets put on my head. When I come home, the hat gets hung back up....and if I leave again, I might grab a totally different hat. I have worn as many as 6 different caps in one day. I don't change my underwear nearly as often as I change my hat...though I do change my underwear at least once a week if it needs changed or not.

Tim

Snuffy
March 22nd, 2010, 09:29
38 caps and only one head ?? Sounds a bit like the Imelda Marcos of baseball caps. . . LOL

Careful where you tread there Toastie ... it just so happens we have a Queen of Heels here on SOH ...

However, with regard to the statement of wearing caps, I've never worn a hat in my life, no matter how cold it was outside. And I sure have enough common sense NOT to wear a cap in the house or in any building for that matter.

lifejogger
March 22nd, 2010, 10:05
I probably have forty or so ball caps that I have acquired over the years. Most are souvenirs from various vacations and trips I have been on. Some have sentimental connections such as various ball caps I wore as my son’s basketball, baseball and Soccer coach. It also would be hard for me to pick which ones I would have to throw away.

Odie
March 22nd, 2010, 11:22
When I lived in Texas, my dentist collected ballcaps and would hang them from the ceiling so that when the patients were laying back in the chair, they were looking up at the hats hanging from the ceiling. Kind of a novel way to display something and get the patient's mind off of the work being done.

Don't worry, OBIO, you're not alone. Every time I go to NAS Oceana, I always bring back at least 2-4 squadron hats so I have a plastic storage tub full of them!