PDA

View Full Version : The $200 steak dinner!

Ken Stallings
March 21st, 2010, 18:42
Took the family flying in the 310R today. Flew over to Amarillo to the Big Texas Steakhouse. The one-way flight time was 30 minutes! Frankly, it took as long to start the engines and taxi for takeoff and after landing taxi to shut down than it did to fly there! On the way there, averaged about 175 knots ground speed. On the way home, about 185 knots groundspeed! Burned a total of only 30 gallons of fuel. Considering the speed difference, I would have burned about 15 gallons of fuel in the car over 5 to 6 hours of driving!

Plus the Tac-Air FBO gives you 30% off coupons and the Big Texas picks you up for free in their limos!

So, when you factor in the discounts and free transportation, the whole trip really costs just $200 including the cost of the meal for family of four!

Best news is my wife loves the new plane! So, that's a nice bonus! She took a quick cat nap both ways and I had to wake her up for landing. I'm sure from her perspective the flight took no time at all! :engel016:

Cheers,

Ken

Dain Arns
March 21st, 2010, 18:52
Took the family flying in the 310R today. Flew over to Amarillo to the Big Texas Steakhouse. The one-way flight time was 30 minutes! Frankly, it took as long to start the engines and taxi for takeoff and after landing taxi to shut down than it did to fly there! On the way there, averaged about 175 knots ground speed. On the way home, about 185 knots groundspeed! Burned a total of only 30 gallons of fuel. Considering the speed difference, I would have burned about 15 gallons of fuel in the car over 5 to 6 hours of driving!

Plus the Tac-Air FBO gives you 30% off coupons and the Big Texas picks you up for free in their limos!

So, when you factor in the discounts and free transportation, the whole trip really costs just $200 including the cost of the meal for family of four!

Best news is my wife loves the new plane! So, that's a nice bonus! She took a quick cat nap both ways and I had to wake her up for landing. I'm sure from her perspective the flight took no time at all! :engel016:

Cheers,

Ken

Ah but the memory will be priceless. :wavey:

Flyboy208
March 21st, 2010, 18:59
I miss those type of times in the family Piper Aztec - flying from Hidden Lake Estates in Port Richey, FL to Chalet Suzanne - a grass strip - for a proper early dinner ... About a 3 and 1/2 hour endeavour ... Mike :wiggle:

http://www.chaletsuzanne.com/

Flying and good food = a great day!

OBIO
March 21st, 2010, 19:33
The closest I can come to that is hopping in the rusty Chevy Corsica and driving to Long John Silvers...though the experience is a bit more pleasant now that there aren't 85 leaky places in the exhaust system...the blarring cackle of an over revved 4-cylinder and the burning sensation in your eyes and nasal passages from the exhaust gas filling the car took a lot of the fun out of going out for dinner.

OBIO

whitehawk_2009
March 21st, 2010, 19:53
When I was at the University of Dubuque, there was a wings place in Minnesota that some people would go to. They had "Atomic" wings, and I was told they were pretty good.

The best trip that I made was to Gathering of Mustangs and Legends in Columbus OH. My roommate and I split the costs, I paid for the plane, he paid for the hotel and tickets.:ernae:

WH

luckydog
March 21st, 2010, 20:14
My father was a career Air Force pilot..( P-51's, F-84's & B-47's). When he retired, he went to work for United Airlines flying 727's.
One of his #1 rules was: never put your entire family on one flight/aircraft.

Do you think he was being overly cautious or.................... ?

Ken Stallings
March 21st, 2010, 20:57
My father was a career Air Force pilot..( P-51's, F-84's & B-47's). When he retired, he went to work for United Airlines flying 727's.
One of his #1 rules was: never put your entire family on one flight/aircraft.

Do you think he was being overly cautious or.................... ?

Since you asked ... in my view overly cautious.

Statistically, if you flight plan smartly for weather and keep your aircraft maintained properly (both well within the pilot's control) general aviation is safer than driving a car.

You own an airplane for personal transportation. Taking the family is no different a decision point that driving them in a car in terms of the purpose.

Cheers,

Ken

Ken Stallings
March 21st, 2010, 21:02
First batch of photos taken of me flying the aircraft ...

Kind of like the third photo of the group. Showing my youngest how to board the aircraft.

Cheers,

Ken

luckydog
March 21st, 2010, 21:15
I'm sure my father was aware of the "statistics"............

Ken Stallings
March 21st, 2010, 21:20
I'm sure my father was aware of the "statistics"............

Excuse me!

Are you actually trying to say I'm being irresponsible with the lives of my family? Is that really the point you are trying to make?

I shall not turn this into a pointless debate, but I submit you have crossed a personal line here.

Ken

OBIO
March 21st, 2010, 21:24
WHOA WHOA WHOA.....let's keep it civil and respectful gents. Far to many threads have been going down the toilet lately....let's not send this one to the septic tank as well.

OBIO

Ken Stallings
March 21st, 2010, 21:38
WHOA WHOA WHOA.....let's keep it civil and respectful gents. Far to many threads have been going down the toilet lately....let's not send this one to the septic tank as well.

OBIO

Far as I am concerned, it already has been sent to the septic tank. I create a thread about a family trip in an airplane in a forum themed on aviation.

Frankly, I never in a thousand years would have expected such a reaction as it received. And frankly, I'd never in a thousand years imply another member here has been irresponsible with the lives of his own family!

Does Talon have to endure that nonsense when he posts about his sailing voyages across the oceans? Does anyone else when they talk about a vacation taken in the family sedan? Nope and nope!

Good night!

Ken

tigisfat
March 21st, 2010, 21:47
Ken,

That sure is a good looking aircraft. I assume you haven't had it for a super long time since the switch was a recent topic of yours. Regardless, I didn't think they had Cessna 310s that clean. I am very envious, to say the least. My company is considering buying me a low-end Cirrus, but I find myself hopping on FSX to fly from Portales to Amarillo in a freeware Cessna 310 tonight...

You know, I lived in that neck of the woods for a long time and I still own property out there, and I've never been to the steakhouse you're talking about. Can we get a mini-review?

luckydog
March 21st, 2010, 21:51
Cheers....

wiltzei
March 21st, 2010, 23:49
Everything extraordinalily good in life is either:
- too expensive
- immoral
- illegal
- (your opinion here)

or a combination of those mentioned above.

Memories are priceless.

harleyman
March 22nd, 2010, 01:18
Ken....I think that you just touched on a very sore spot was all..i do not believe it was a personal attack on your choice of flying your entire family in the same aircraft...I think he just neded to releave some hurt..It just happened here was all as the subject of his hurt was your topic here today..I think he meant no personal attach..

BTW,,,Its a great looking plane, and I wish you and yours many hours enjoying her and all she offers...

LuckyDog..It seems that perhaps you have been on the other side of that statestic..if so we are truely sorry..

Snuffy
March 22nd, 2010, 03:44
Actually,

A drive just a couple miles from my house provides a resturant that has prices on steak dinners at around 75 - 85 dollars a piece.

A nice quiet dinner for two with drinks and desert can cost over $200.00 and that's without the cost of gas in the truck to get there.

:)

Glad ya'll had a good time Ken.

Toastmaker
March 22nd, 2010, 04:08
My brother, a GA pilot, used to fly from a field near Andrews AFB over to the Maryland eastern shore and he'd have lunch while there. He called it going out for a $100 hamburger -

Chacha
March 22nd, 2010, 04:37
First batch of photos taken of me flying the aircraft ...

Kind of like the third photo of the group. Showing my youngest how to board the aircraft.

Cheers,

Ken

Thanks for sharing Ken,

We are expecting a second batch of photos....

That is really a lot of fun....

as Dain said: the memory is priceless!

cheezyflier
March 22nd, 2010, 06:19
toast, i got a good laugh from that :icon_lol:

ken, even though it's not really luck, you are a fortunate man. good job, cool toys, nice family, everyone healthy.
no one could realistically want more. except maybe for a beagle or two

Brian_Gladden
March 22nd, 2010, 11:30
Someone needs to make that paint job for the Flight 1 C-310 so Ken can fly his plane in the sim as well as real life....

Brian

bpfowler
March 22nd, 2010, 12:44
nice-looking kids! thx 4 the pix.

Odie
March 22nd, 2010, 12:54

Cheers,

Ken

Ken, I'm seeing an add-on for FSX here to rival Plum Island. Plum Island is the home of the "$100.00 Hamburger", so we need to bump it up to the "$200 Steak Dinner".

GT182
March 22nd, 2010, 13:01
Tell me Ken, did ya eat the 72 ounce steak and fixins in an hour and get it fer free? Or did the wife and/or kids beat ya on that? :icon_lol:

Did ya get any pics of the place to show everyone what they're missing? Especially of the record board of who consumed it all in an hour. Don't laugh guys, you'd be surprised who's done it. And at least one, that I can recall, has eaten 2 in one sitting.

I've stopped in at the Big Texan only once on my way to California with the 18 wheeler, and that was back in 88. Nice place, good food, and great atmosphere. Only wish I'd had a camera with me.

srgalahad
March 22nd, 2010, 13:52
Factoring in the fixed operating costs and depreciation of the aircraft it probably ended up as more than $200

but the big, satisifed grin on Ken's face pretty much answers that question of advanced aeronautical economics

:wavey:

Rob

Ken Stallings
March 22nd, 2010, 15:33
Ken,

That sure is a good looking aircraft. I assume you haven't had it for a super long time since the switch was a recent topic of yours. Regardless, I didn't think they had Cessna 310s that clean. I am very envious, to say the least. My company is considering buying me a low-end Cirrus, but I find myself hopping on FSX to fly from Portales to Amarillo in a freeware Cessna 310 tonight...

You know, I lived in that neck of the woods for a long time and I still own property out there, and I've never been to the steakhouse you're talking about. Can we get a mini-review?

It's a nice place to eat. It's that classic Texas chic, which means a whole lot of unabashed Texas culture wrapped around a huge family buckhouse setting. The tables are all lined up in long rows so often you rub elbows with total strangers. And frankly, I find that kind of cool also.

The steaks are good and the prime rib and pork ribs are really good also. The prices are reasonable and there's a game room where the kids can have some fun with a shooting gallery using light rifles.

If you live in the area, it's sure worth the trip in my view!

Cheers,

Ken

Ken Stallings
March 22nd, 2010, 15:36
Ken....I think that you just touched on a very sore spot was all..i do not believe it was a personal attack on your choice of flying your entire family in the same aircraft...I think he just neded to releave some hurt..It just happened here was all as the subject of his hurt was your topic here today..I think he meant no personal attach..

BTW,,,Its a great looking plane, and I wish you and yours many hours enjoying her and all she offers...

LuckyDog..It seems that perhaps you have been on the other side of that statestic..if so we are truely sorry..

If that's indeed the case then beyond the common human decency of compassion, it would sure help explain what happened. It sure seemed to me to come out of left fiield and hit me upside the forehead like a 2x4!

You may be right.

Cheers,

Ken

Ken Stallings
March 22nd, 2010, 15:39
Tell me Ken, did ya eat the 72 ounce steak and fixins in an hour and get it fer free? Or did the wife and/or kids beat ya on that? :icon_lol:

Did ya get any pics of the place to show everyone what they're missing? Especially of the record board of who consumed it all in an hour. Don't laugh guys, you'd be surprised who's done it. And at least one, that I can recall, has eaten 2 in one sitting.

I've stopped in at the Big Texan only once on my way to California with the 18 wheeler, and that was back in 88. Nice place, good food, and great atmosphere. Only wish I'd had a camera with me.

Oh heck no, man! I've seen how big that cut really is and it's a no go, brother! They say Joey Chestnut ate the whole meal in a record of like 15 minutes. I can't even comprehend how that could be done! Don't have any photos of the place. Should have taken a few. Next time, we'll make a point of it!

Ken

Ken Stallings
March 22nd, 2010, 15:42
Someone needs to make that paint job for the Flight 1 C-310 so Ken can fly his plane in the sim as well as real life....

Brian

I think that Dreamfleet C-310Q was for FS2002 and I don't even know if it would work with FSX (if someone can confirm it does, please let me know!). But, I sure would love it if someone would work up a nice payware C-310R for FSX. I'd be happy to provide any technical support that would assist. I personally think the C-310R is an awesome aircraft and would be a popular add-on.

And you bet I would love it if someone would work up a livery of 5077J! :engel016:

P.S.: Was that enough of an unashamed plug!!! :icon_lol:

Ken

jhefner
March 22nd, 2010, 15:43
Ken;

I have been meaning to share this with you before; when I saw your N number; it made me do a double-take as well. From the 1970s:

http://inlinethumb38.webshots.com/42981/2200354200079522983S600x600Q85.jpg (http://family.webshots.com/photo/2200354200079522983xlvqfa)

The Story:

The late Paul Fournet operated an air service out of the Lafayette, LA airport; catering mostly to the oilfield industry. I went to school with a relative of Paul Fournet.

Every other year, the LAGCOE Oil Show is held at the Coliseum (now the Cajundome) in Lafayette. Paul Fournet Air Service would fly in some aircraft for the show; landing them on one of the main streets through town (Johnston Street,) and taxiing them down the street to the show grounds -- always a big event. They would take down the fencing, and lay down planks to allow the planes to taxi onto the show grounds.

The Catholic school I attended was right across the street from the show grounds, so we got to see all the equipment being set up, and got to the attend the show on the day it was open to the public. To me at least, it was always the highlight of that year.

The show was open only to the industry on Monday through Thursday of that week. But Friday and I think Saturday, the show was open to public; the school would walk us as a group across the street so we could see it. You could see the tall derricks and other equipment from the school grounds; it only built up anticipation for the coming field trip.

Anyway; this is a 310R that Paul brought to the oil show one year. For a year or two, he also brought in his P-38 Lightning 43-50281; also known as the Scatterbrain Kid. It was set up so that you climb on the wing and look in the cockpit. Sadly, it was crashed into the road along the airport fence a short time after that, and is no more.

-James

Ken Stallings
March 22nd, 2010, 15:43
Factoring in the fixed operating costs and depreciation of the aircraft it probably ended up as more than $200

but the big, satisifed grin on Ken's face pretty much answers that question of advanced aeronautical economics

:wavey:

Rob

No doubt. But, as has been said, sometime when I'm old and gray, the memories will hopefully be priceless! The one good thing is that when flying, my kids haven't once asked, "Are we there yet!" I figure that benefit alone is likely worth a few benjamins! :icon_lol:

Ken

gigabyte
March 22nd, 2010, 16:03
my kids haven't once asked, "Are we there yet!"
Ken

Yeah, and I bet they didn't once ask to pull over for a "bathroom break" either...lol

You are a lucky guy Ken, it is easy to tell you enjoy what you are doing and sharing it with your family makes it even more special, and those are two lucky boys!

Ken Stallings
March 22nd, 2010, 16:14
LOL!!

No, they haven't exactly done that, but I've got to tell a story about my youngest one. Many years ago, I flew them in the Skyhawk from North Las Vegas to San Diego so they could go to the San Diego Zoo.

Well, my little one said he had to go to the bathroom with about 15 minutes left in the flight. Unfortunately, the San Diego approach sector put me in a holding pattern waiting to coordinate my instrument approach. Sometime while on final approach, the poor guy couldn't hold it any longer.

When we landed it was pretty horrible because it was a case of who did number two work for! :icon_lol:

I had no idea with him in the backseat he was in such extremis! Worse, the red plastic urinal jugs I had onboard didn't exactly help him any!

I confess, I was pretty angry at the situation, especially when I had to clean up the back of the airplane!

Oh well!

Ken

tigisfat
March 22nd, 2010, 17:00
LOL!!

No, they haven't exactly done that, but I've got to tell a story about my youngest one. Many years ago, I flew them in the Skyhawk from North Las Vegas to San Diego so they could go to the San Diego Zoo.

Well, my little one said he had to go to the bathroom with about 15 minutes left in the flight. Unfortunately, the San Diego approach sector put me in a holding pattern waiting to coordinate my instrument approach. Sometime while on final approach, the poor guy couldn't hold it any longer.

When we landed it was pretty horrible because it was a case of who did number two work for! :icon_lol:

I had no idea with him in the backseat he was in such extremis! Worse, the red plastic urinal jugs I had onboard didn't exactly help him any!

I confess, I was pretty angry at the situation, especially when I had to clean up the back of the airplane!

Oh well!

Ken

Oh god;

one time flying from Marfa to Abilene Regional all by myself, I had to pee REALLY bad out of the clear blue. I had an empty watre bottle laying around, and I decided to go for it. Now, I'm 6'4 and 235. I'm no small guy, so I laid the seat all the way back and had to lay on my side. The combination of peeing up and sideways made it REALLY hard. It turns out I had a lot stored up, and I had to fill the bottle and then empty it. When you have to go that bad, stopping it is SUPER hard. I needed the bottle and couldn't just get rid of it, so I poured it out the side window and watched it soak the side of the aircraft, even spraying in my face. I must've filled the bottle up five times.

Anyone who flies that area knows that the Texon MOA is right in my way, and I was getting ready to head in. It's not that big of a MOA, but it is VERY active during business hours due to the students out of Laughlin. I got a call from center advising me that the MOA was going to be active while I was in it. While all this was going on, I had a constant fear that a T-6A Texan II was going to pull up beside me and see what was going on. All this was at 9,500. It would've taken me too long to get back down.

Ken Stallings
March 22nd, 2010, 17:22
Oh I don't think you'd have much to worry about. The T-6 driver would be so busy laughing his butt off he'd probably forget your N-number! :icon_lol:

Ken

Hiede
March 22nd, 2010, 17:45
We use the Baron for family outings,Most of the time we go to Kauai one of our favorite places to go.I have also flown my parents from Oahu to Maui and back many times.In Febuary I took Talon's niece on a tour of the Islands and of course we had to land at Honolulu to do some shopping.

Hiede

Ken Stallings
March 22nd, 2010, 18:05
I cannot imagine a more useful place than Hawaii for a GA twin. Dual safety over the ocean, and you trim your time used from hours to half an hour.

In truth, once you own an aircraft you really start to understand just how useful it becomes.

Cheers,

Ken

OBIO
March 22nd, 2010, 18:28
I cannot imagine a more useful place than Hawaii for a GA twin. Dual safety over the ocean, and you trim your time used from hours to half an hour.

In truth, once you own an aircraft you really start to understand just how useful it becomes.

Cheers,

Ken

Now that is a line I haven't used on my wife in an effort to buy a plane....."But Dear....it would be so useful." Don't think it would work. Haven't been able to convince her to let me get a motorcycle...no chance in Hades she will let me get a plane....as if we could afford one...well, maybe that smashed up C172 that has been used at the rifle range as a target since 1985.

Ken Stallings
March 22nd, 2010, 18:33
Next time you two are standing in line at the airport security area, especially when you went through the body scanner and are putting your shoes back on, lean over and tell her, "You know, if I had my pilot's license, we'd already be there now, no chance of losing our luggage, and you wouldn't have been electronically frisked!"

You might be surprised what answer you get! :engel016:

Ken

Odie
March 22nd, 2010, 18:48
Oh god;

one time flying from Marfa to Abilene Regional all by myself, I had to pee REALLY bad out of the clear blue. I had an empty watre bottle laying around, and I decided to go for it. Now, I'm 6'4 and 235. I'm no small guy, so I laid the seat all the way back and had to lay on my side. The combination of peeing up and sideways made it REALLY hard. It turns out I had a lot stored up, and I had to fill the bottle and then empty it. When you have to go that bad, stopping it is SUPER hard. I needed the bottle and couldn't just get rid of it, so I poured it out the side window and watched it soak the side of the aircraft, even spraying in my face. I must've filled the bottle up five times.

Anyone who flies that area knows that the Texon MOA is right in my way, and I was getting ready to head in. It's not that big of a MOA, but it is VERY active during business hours due to the students out of Laughlin. I got a call from center advising me that the MOA was going to be active while I was in it. While all this was going on, I had a constant fear that a T-6A Texan II was going to pull up beside me and see what was going on. All this was at 9,500. It would've taken me too long to get back down.

:icon_lol: Tig, those airline pilots that were surfing the net and overshot the airport have NOTHING on you ! If you gotta go, you gotta go!

harleyman
March 23rd, 2010, 03:00
Next time you two are standing in line at the airport security area, especially when you went through the body scanner and are putting your shoes back on, lean over and tell her, "You know, if I had my pilot's license, we'd already be there now, no chance of losing our luggage, and you wouldn't have been electronically frisked!"

You might be surprised what answer you get! :engel016:

Ken

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm Now thats a great idea Ken.....I am going to remember that

harleyman
March 23rd, 2010, 03:04
We never had a plane..but we always had boats...We used these little portable pottie things that were no more than a set of legs that held a heavy duty bag...Can you not set auto pilot and have a blast, so to speak???

Ken Stallings
March 23rd, 2010, 16:57
My brother, a GA pilot, used to fly from a field near Andrews AFB over to the Maryland eastern shore and he'd have lunch while there. He called it going out for a $100 hamburger -

LOL!!! :icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

Sorry, I missed this last night! Awesome, brother!

Ken

Ken Stallings
March 23rd, 2010, 17:00
We never had a plane..but we always had boats...We used these little portable pottie things that were no more than a set of legs that held a heavy duty bag...Can you not set auto pilot and have a blast, so to speak???

One of the previous owners of my 310R actually did put a portable pottie in the rear luggage compartment. However, only the passengers in the rear seats could have reached it. However, in terms of using the red plastic urinal jugs, that's exactly what I did. Put the plane on autopilot, loosen the seat lap belt, and make sure I have the proper downward angle into the jug, and let fly!

It worked!

Ken

Hiede
March 23rd, 2010, 17:23
I'll tell you,you can't take you guys anywhere without you having to make a pit stop.:icon_lol:

Hiede

tigisfat
March 23rd, 2010, 20:17

Well, I pretty much fill up the plane with my size, and the warriors I used to fly didn't have autopilots. It was trim and a little rudder action all the way if you wanted to pee laying on your side in you seat. Just try peeing up with a kink in your junk to get it to point down into a bottle...:mixedsmi:

jmig
March 24th, 2010, 03:22
Ahhh, you guys have it easy. Trying using the facilities in a fighter cockpit. :icon_lol:

I can assure you that it can be done. ;)

tigisfat
March 24th, 2010, 10:09
Ahhh, you guys have it easy. Trying using the facilities in a fighter cockpit. :icon_lol:

I can assure you that it can be done. ;)

What're you trying to say? Are you saying that Piper Warriors aren't fighters? I strap it on, I fly like a maniac, I even get the occasional 75 degree climb.... I haven't downed anyone or shacked any targets, but I keep my eyes peeled. Yessiree, I'm a genuine fighter pilot. (I hope my girlfriend doesn't see me writing this)

jmig
March 24th, 2010, 12:55
What're you trying to say? Are you saying that Piper Warriors aren't fighters? I strap it on, I fly like a maniac, I even get the occasional 75 degree climb.... I haven't downed anyone or shacked any targets, but I keep my eyes peeled. Yessiree, I'm a genuine fighter pilot. (I hope my girlfriend doesn't see me writing this)

Being a fighter pilot is more about the attitude than what aircraft you fly. You sound like a fighter jock to me. :icon_lol:

I was speaking more about maneuvering room than attitudes. ;)

harleyman
March 24th, 2010, 18:27
Hell..I just would be happy to fly in a fighter...Peeing myself would be fine for a free ride....LOL

Trans_23
March 25th, 2010, 14:33
Talk about a thread going in the toilet.....literally. :bump:

Ken Stallings
March 25th, 2010, 17:12
Talk about a thread going in the toilet.....literally. :bump:

.... or in your pants, depending upon one of the latest posts!!! :icon_lol: