PDA

View Full Version : I HATE WINDOWS!

OBIO
March 21st, 2010, 16:47
I just reinstalled XP, did all the updates, begin installing my software....and am getting error messages telling me that this or that OCX file is missing! Sure I can individually download hundreds of OCX files until I get them all....or I can throw my computer in the trash and be done with it. And do you think Microsoft has a nice little area you can go and download all of the OCX files in one handy dandy installer....NOPE! OBIO

Dangerousdave26
March 21st, 2010, 16:50
What software are you installing?

And which OCX file are you missing?

OBIO
March 21st, 2010, 16:57
I am trying to get FSMetars to run....want to do some flying, and would like to have real weather. The current message is telling me that MSINET.OCX or one of its dependents is either missing or not registered properly. The file is there... OBIO

harleyman
March 21st, 2010, 17:03
Go ahead and open the back door..Tell it *No More* and toss it...

Then call Bill gates and tell him he owes you a new computer...

leroy10
March 21st, 2010, 17:05
Hi OBIO,

If the files there it's probably not registered properly.

Goto run in the start menu and type in the below

regsvr32 path & filename of dll or ocx

Cheers :ernae:
Lindsay

Kiwikat
March 21st, 2010, 17:06
Maybe its telling you that it is time to upgrade to W7. :salute: :wavey:

Dangerousdave26
March 21st, 2010, 17:30
Maybe its telling you that it is time to upgrade to W7. :salute: :wavey:

No silly it would still be missing from W7.

MSINET.OCX is a visual basic runtime file that is not included in the Windows OS. Some packages that might be installed might install the necessary files with their built in installer but that is not the case with FS Metars

If the file is not in C:\Windows\System32 folder move it there.

Then restart if that does not fix the problem then you need to register it like leroy10 suggested.

It should be as easy as entering

regsvr32 MSINET.OCX

In the command window or the run box (never did it that way)

OBIO
March 21st, 2010, 17:33
Update to Win7.....yeah, this old system ain't gonna run that very well. Beside, ACM won't run under anything newer than XP and I use the heck out of that program. Leroy: I tried that...and got a message telling me that the selected file was not an executable file and that no registration helper is registered for this file type. OBIO

Dangerousdave26
March 21st, 2010, 18:29
In the FS Metars folder there is a FAQ.txt file with no instructions other than how to down load the files.

You already have msinet.ocx but you will need mscomctl.ocx and comdlg32.ocx down load both of those files.

Extract the .OCX files from the each cab file and put them in the C:\windows\system32 folder.

For each one enter the below command into the run box on the start menu. That should fix it.

regsvr32 mscomctl.OCX

regsvr32 COMDLG32.OCX

regsvr32 MSINET.OCX

I recently installed XP as well and had to add all three just now to get it to work.

Q. An msinet.ocx error occurs when i run FSMetar

A. download msinet.cab from http://activex.microsoft.com/controls/vb6/msinet.cab

Install File and run FSMetar

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q. An mscomctl.ocx error occurs when i run FSMetar

A. The solution is the same as for the msinet.ocx missing file.
You can download it from:

http://activex.microsoft.com/controls/vb6/mscomctl.cab

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q. An comdlg32.ocx error occurs when i run FSMetar

A. The solution is the same as for the msinet.ocx missing file.
You can download it from:

http://activex.microsoft.com/controls/vb6/comdlg32.cab

OBIO
March 21st, 2010, 19:29
DangerousDave

Thank you for the fix. FSMetars works now.....I still hate Windows!

OBIO

leroy10
March 21st, 2010, 20:34
silly me I forgot, you can also just right click on the .ocx or .dll and click "register library" for .dll and register control for any .ocx files.

Cheers :ernae:
Lindsay