PDA

View Full Version : Am thinking of upgrading to Windows 7, but.....

Navy Chief
March 21st, 2010, 16:02
I am hesitant, because I don't want to go through the hassle of dumping everything I have, and doing a "clean install".

Is it possible to do an upgrade to Windows 7 on top of my Vista 64?

Is it worth it, if so?

Thanks.

NC

pilottj
March 21st, 2010, 16:44
7 will 'upgrade' from vista, however if you have XP you would have to install clean. I would recommend getting a 7 that is the same version or better as your vista....ala 64 pro...etc My Mother's Dell Laptop had VIsta, and Dell offered a free 7 upgrade that worked fine.

Cheers
TJ

Dangerousdave26
March 21st, 2010, 16:46
Yes you can do an upgrade to Vista but a clean install is always best and should be the most trouble free.

Cost wise I would say it would be cheaper to do the complete install.

Look for the System Builders package at www.newegg.com it typically is much cheaper than the upgrade version.

Spend the extra bucks and get the Ultimate version.

Another key thing to do is do not install it to your existing hard drive. Buy a new one they are cheap. Install the OS on the new drive. If anything goes horribly wrong you still have your Vista install on the other drive.

Panther_99FS
March 21st, 2010, 16:49
Take Little Chacha's advice and DON'T upgrade to Windows 7 ;)
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php/28948-Which-OS-rules-on-your-PC?p=378719&viewfull=1#post378719 :d

Wing_Z
March 21st, 2010, 17:20
Haha the message is: Clean install

harleyman
March 21st, 2010, 19:35
I did a Win 7 upgread on my shop rig from Vista to Win7 64..

It went well..its not a gaming rig, but it will game...

It has lots of IE8 problems at times...

I recomend a clean install too !

Snuffy
March 22nd, 2010, 03:47
The best and easiest way may be to just buy a new drive ... set it as primary and install 7 on it as the master drive, and slave your existing xp drive.

You'll evenually have to re route all your programs to function from 7, but you don't lose anything in the processs file wise.

PRB
March 22nd, 2010, 04:54
I just did a Windows 7 install (not on the FS computer...) and it was the easiest OS installation I've ever done. I'm thinking of going to Win7 on the flying box as well now...

Navy Chief
March 22nd, 2010, 05:13
Thank you ALL for your advice!!!

I will probably purchase Windows 7 to do a clean install on one of my XP drives, around the first of next month....

NC

Moparmike
March 22nd, 2010, 13:49
Yes, a clean install is the proffered method when upgrading.

You can however do a clean install with upgrade media.
http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/clean_install_upgrade_media.asp for details