PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade help, please?

RobH
March 21st, 2010, 15:11
I have FSX running ok, but the occasional scenery spikes and stutters are really starting to get old. I have my frame rate locked at 25. I use Nhancer with NickN settings, but it doesn't seem to make a whole lot of difference. Just about the only real difference I can tell is with the anti aliasing settings. Sometimes I have forgotten to set up Nhancer after a restart of my computer, and when I fly in FSX, other than a little sharper textures, there doesn't seem to be much of a performance difference, with or without Nhancer.

Edit: Also, forgot to add, When I have 'aircraft cast shadows on itself' turned on, it hits my system pretty hard, and when the shadows are showing, they are always jaggie and broken up.

I am thinking I need a updgrade of my CPU. My current CPU is an Intel Core2 DUO E4500 @ 2.2 Ghz, at 800 Mhz speed. For a video card, I am using a 1 GB 9500 GT. Windows Vista 32 bit. My computer is a Dell Vostro 400. It's nothing fancy, but I got it brand new for a very good price from a friend who's business was closing. It has so far been a very good computer with very little problems.

I do not have any experience with processors, and not sure what to get. So here goes with my questions, lol.

Since my system is a 32 bit, do I have to get another 32 bit processor, or is that only associated with my Operating system?

Should a 2.8 or 3.0 Ghz be enough to run FSX smoothly?

Can I replace a 800 Mhz chip with a 1033 Mhz chip?

I am assuming I will have to stay with a Intel Core2 DUO proccesor and not a I-5 or I-7 processor?

Would I be better off installing a new motherboard and chip? If so, will I need to re-install my Operation System, and if so, would I be better to install Windows 7?

Sorry for all the questions, and I hope I did make some sense. I have replaced most parts on computers over the years, but never the processor or motherboard. I don't have the finances right now to buy or build a new computer, I am hoping I can breathe some new life into the one I have.

Thanks for your time.

Brian

txnetcop
March 21st, 2010, 17:30
Rob there are several things wrong. You have a bottleneck in your system and not enough processor power. The biggest bottlenect the 128bit 1GB 9500GT you should be using at least a 256bit interface 9800GT or better is best. The Intel 4500 can be overclocked to 3.4GHz and that might help if you have a motherboard that allows overclocking. I doubt if the Dell Vostro allows that. The only over-clockable unit Dell has is the XPS series and even they have stiff requirements for overclocking. The other thing you didn't mention is RAM, the last time I checked Vostro came with 667mhz memory-way too anemic. The last thing is the power supply. Even if you added a better video card your power supply is a 380 watt unit that would not give you the power you need for an upgrade. It has a 12A input and nothing is available for that unit anymore in the way of a power supply upgrade. If you try to upgrade power supply to an off the shelf unit the next thing you see will be smoke! The newer Vostros have some of the same limitations in the ability to buy off the shelf parts but they are more powerful. They also cost a lot more.

One thing you might try. Open up the case, which will void your warranty by the way, and see if it does contain 667mhz memory-I'm sure it does unless someone upgraded it to 800mhz memory. If they did not you might try upgrading your memory to PC6400 800mhz fast RAM. You can run up to 4GB on that board, but of course because you have a 32bit system you will only see 3.387 register but that is plenty for FSX. There really aren't any other upgrade options with that unit Amigo except to upgrade your processor which may or may not give you anything because of the motherboard they use for that unit. If you contact Dell see if they have another BIOS upgrade for the motherboard that ill allow you to run and E8400. That's about it
Ted

Tell what I will do and maybe it will be of some benefit. I think we have an old Vostro 400 in the office at TechCorp. I will stick an old Nvidia 256 bit 1 GB Galaxy 9600GT and some fast ram in there and see what happens. I think it also has the Intel E4500. I can't promise how fast but this week for sure. I will check with Dell to see if they offer a BIOS that will let you upgrade to E8400. Maybe this will work-MAYBE!
Ted
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

RobH
March 22nd, 2010, 04:11
Ted, thank you for your reply.

I apologize for not including more information, I completely forgot about RAM. The original setup came with 2X1 Gb memory at 667 Mhz. I have since upgraded to 2 sticks of 2 Gb each at 800 Mhz.

I have upgraded the power supply to a 650 watt unit. I had a 9800Gt card but have had 2 burn up on me. The first one was warrantied out. I know I need better cooling in my system, which (if this computer is worth upgrading) I plan on upgrading my fan also. I had hoped when I put in the new power supply with the built in fan, that it would help with cooling, but it didn't. I only went with the 9500Gt because of the price and since I wasn't having good luck with the 9800GT, which was probably my fault.

The RAM is by Kingston and the power supply is by Antec, if that helps any.

The only thing I know of left to do is upgrade the processor, but then again, is this unit worth the trouble?

I don't mind putting in a new motherboard also, but then by the time I spend the money for all the parts, would I be better of to try to build a new tower?

Is 64 bit a lot better than the 32 bit in regards to FSX?

Thanks again.

txnetcop
March 22nd, 2010, 06:06
Rob what other motherboard do they offer? Is 64bit better than 32..I think so only because it allows you to use more RAM but for FSX not much difference.

I was looking for our office unit Vostro this morning but it is already out the door, so I won't be able to do any tests for you. I just don't think it is worth throwing money at the old unit.

The new Core i15 Vostro would be a better bet if you don't want to build one, but I think the best bet is build your own. I bet you could do it. There is a ton of video guides on how to put a fast gamer together I could get you. Besides there are so many new sims like Rise of Flight and an almost sim called Wings of Prey that is a lot of fun (not very realistic) that would require a fast system to enjoy the benefits and effects. Let me know what I can do.
Ted
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

RobH
March 24th, 2010, 13:15
Thank you Ted for info and help. I do not have the funds right now to start a new computer build. I have been itching to build my own computer for a long time, and hope to do so soon. I will most definitely hit you up for those videos when I am ready.

For now, I can just back off some of my settings to at least make my game play smoother.

Thanks again!