PDA

View Full Version : General demoted for dating!

Ken Stallings
March 20th, 2010, 18:13
If the title of this thread sounds preposterous, then welcome to my club!

http://www.airforcetimes.com/news/2010/03/airforce_morrill_032010w/

If I had not read this in Air Force Times I would have sworn it was a National Enquirer or The Onion story!

My initial reaction before reading the whole story was the General must have been dating someone in violation of the rules against fraternization. If that had been the case, I would have agreed with the administrative action -- possibly even thought he got off light.

But, in fact, he was dating a civlian, who was totally unaffiliated with the Department of Defense! Furthermore, he was legally separated from his wife at the time!

I swear this is a new low and we were just discussing the outrageous punishment for those Navy pilots. But, this is absolutely puritanical! You cannot demote an officer and force him to retire simply because he dated while separated legally from his wife. This is just too much!

What in the hell has gone wrong with my military!!!

Ken

txnetcop
March 20th, 2010, 18:40
Yep this is a very sad state of affairs Ken. I won't give my opinion about what is happening to our military because it besmirch some higher ups and that is politics!
Ted

tigisfat
March 20th, 2010, 18:45
I"ve known quite a few people punished for the same reason. If you're not divorced you're not divorced....

TARPSBird
March 20th, 2010, 19:30
What in the hell has gone wrong with my military!!!
Ken
Ken, I'm afraid there's been quite a bit wrong for quite a few years. My former CO, Vice Adm. Dick Dunleavy, is one of the finest officers and leaders I ever worked for. He was reduced in rank in retirement for his attendance at the '91 Tailhook Convention and his having knowledge of the rowdy activities that took place. This in spite of the fact that he was one of the first senior officers to "step up" and take command responsibility for what happened. The Naval Investigative Service (whom I still consider to be just a notch below Hitler's Gestapo) interrogated Dunleavy's son Mark (a Hornet driver) for several hours trying to incriminate him and/or his Dad. Adm. Frank "I didn't know what was going on" Kelso, the CNO, was also at Tailhook but he got off with a letter of caution and no reduction in rank.

Willy
March 20th, 2010, 20:24
Tarps, that's pretty much my assessment of NIS as well.