PDA

View Full Version : I'm puzzled...

JorisVandenBerghe
March 20th, 2010, 00:43
Just like Kiwikat a couple of months ago, I'm having a hard time choosing which new piece of gear I should buy.

I have two choices. Sony has released a 28-75 f/2.8 SAM (Smooth Autofocus Motor, don't confuse it with SSM which is a faster AF motor) a while ago to go along with the A850 24.6 MP full-frame DSLR. As I have been looking for some time for a faster (brighter aperture) 'standard' lens I thought "That's the one I need!".

Now, the only problem is that 28mm on a 1.5 crop camera means 42mm on full-frame which is, frankly, not that wide. But I could get the new 18-55 kitlens with it to have a bit more of wide-angle (although 24mm would be perfect, I never use <24mm actually...not into landscapes or anything). But, I'd have to swap lenses regularly, which is not really a good thing when you're shooting outside all the time.

Here the other lens comes into the picture: the Sony Carl Zeiss ZA 24-70 f/2.8 SSM. Tack-sharp, wide-open at all focal lengths. Blazingly fast when it comes to AF. But expensive: at the shop Ferry mentioned in the 'Need a big lens ?' thread it's € 1500 (would be way cheaper if I could order it on the US or the UK, but I don't want it to get damaged during shipping...and I don't plan going to the US or UK myself anytime soon, at least not prior to Flying Legends in July at Duxford).

The 28-75 + 18-55 would be around € 900...that's a considerable amount of money I'd be able to spend. I could save the € 600 to help pay the A7XX (to be released Q4 2010/Q1 2011).

But I'd have to switch lenses all the time...and I don't like that. 28 or 24mm is a small difference, but once you go below 35mm 4mm becomes a huge difference.

If you'd like to see the difference in IQ between the Sony 28-75 SAM and the 24-70 of Sony/Carl Zeiss...here are two nice samples...same aperture, same shutter speed, same focal length. It's a significant difference in my opinion. It's a Tamron that's used here to compare them but optically the Tamron and the Sony are about the same, the Sony does have a better build quality and is faster to focus.

http://www.alphamountworld.com/forums/lens-talk-forum/t28-7528-and-cz24-7028-ambient-28-differ/2010-2/5205

Ferry_vO
March 20th, 2010, 03:52
Can't really vote for you, as I don't know much about Sony equipment or your budget, but have you considered the Tamron f/2.8 17-50 and f/2.8 28-75 combo for about €700..?

Swapping lenses doesn't bother me much, I've learned how to do it very quickly now. Keep the camera body pointed down at all times. Also I have my camera cleaned once a year by a guy with a clean room. Costs about €40 but the results are great.

BTW I know how you feel about delivery; I've seen how careless the delivery guys sometimes are with packages, obviously they do not have a clue that there could be something expensive inside which is why I don't mind making the 150 mile round trip to 'Rabbits mountain' to buy expensive stuff.

JorisVandenBerghe
March 20th, 2010, 05:01
Well, personally, I'm more attracted to the Zeiss. Because I never use the wide-angle, it's as simple as that.

In my opinion it would be kinda stupid to get a 18-55 (ok, it's cheap...€ 80 and great for it's price) in addition to the 28-75, just to use it for the four millimeters...It's the 28mm that bothers me. When I look at the EXIF's in Aperture the shortest focal length I have used so far is 24mm. I've tried my 18-70 at 24 and 28mm...and 28mm is too narrow for me, using an APS-C camera...and I don't see myself ever getting a full-frame camera (would lose the crop factor so that's not an option for telephoto work).

The 24-70 would complement my 70-400G SSM lens nicely...just wish it was priced like Nikon's 24-70 (€ 1200 or so, give or take a little). That would be a no-brainer.

Oh, and eh...'Rabbit(s) mountain'...good one ;)!

kilo delta
March 20th, 2010, 05:25
Personally I'd go with the Tamron 17-50 too. I've the Sigma 28-70mm f2.8 and have rarely ever used it (actually only used it the once for a wedding) as the Nikon 50mm f1.8 I also have is slap bang in the middle of that range and I can zoom with my feet (It also has much better optics,is faster and smaller too. Just my 2c :)

JorisVandenBerghe
March 20th, 2010, 05:36
The thing is that I don't need the 17-23mm range...since I don't need that much of wide-angle. I could eventually get the cheapo new 18-55 if I'd need it. 24-70 would be just perfect, 28-75 would be too narrow...

Perhaps it's just me trying to justify the price difference to myself...:redface:

Chacha
March 20th, 2010, 08:04
First, What you really want to your lens to do for you.

Since it is really a hassle changing lens when you want to shoot (indoor or out door), Find a lens that would be in your advantage, I am not familiar with Sony either, but I suggest go with the one that you need and benefit you most, if you will save a few bucks and it doesn't do what you want then go for the OTHER range. You don't want to buy anything that you will regret in the future.

Well either or both lenses are cool anyways, it is just what you really want the lens to do for you....

Good luck on finding the right lens for you, Joris!

Panther_99FS
March 20th, 2010, 09:56
Narrow down what you really plan to shoot most often & that'll help you decide :)

JorisVandenBerghe
March 20th, 2010, 10:32
Thanks for the advice chaps. It's not that I hate swapping lenses. But I had to swap lenses outside last year and consequently I had a whole bunch of pictures on my memory card with dust spots on it. Since then I've become very careful when I change lenses (and try to do it inside). It's part of the fun of using a DSLR of course...I love my glass (especially my telephoto one)...

And it's one of the reasons the quality of a DSLR is so much better than a compact camera, obviously.

It's just that, like in Duxford for the photo calls with the warbirds, I can't simply say "Oh, wait a minute, I've got to put another lens on it!".

Panther_99FS
March 20th, 2010, 11:50
Joris,
When I change lenses outside, I always try and find a corner where something presents a block of somekind....

Kiwikat
March 20th, 2010, 21:54
I've heard plenty of good things about the tammy 17-50 2.8.

Oddly enough, I have never had any problems with dust while switching lenses. As a prime user, I do it quite often in the field. Maybe I'm just lucky?

JorisVandenBerghe
March 21st, 2010, 01:19
Well, I have had some dust on it in Duxford last year. There was quite a bit of wind and didn't have a safe corner to hide my stuff of dust and wind. Had to 'clean' every picture through the software.

And I'm not really keen to get a Tamron or Sigma...prefer Sony's own lenses, they're specifically made for Sony DSLR's anyway, while third-party lenses always lag behind because of their reverse engineering...

Chacha
March 28th, 2010, 07:43
Well, I have had some dust on it in Duxford last year. There was quite a bit of wind and didn't have a safe corner to hide my stuff of dust and wind. Had to 'clean' every picture through the software.

And I'm not really keen to get a Tamron or Sigma...prefer Sony's own lenses, they're specifically made for Sony DSLR's anyway, while third-party lenses always lag behind because of their reverse engineering...

Great...

Go for it and show us some sample shots! :jump:

Panther_99FS
March 28th, 2010, 09:52

Some Nikon users feel the exact same way about Nikon lenses...

JorisVandenBerghe
March 28th, 2010, 09:59
Well, I'm not saying Sigma or Tamron do not make good/great lenses.

For instance, Sigma's 100-300 f/4 is a brilliant lens...

But it's about minor differences, but they do exist: e.g. the focusing speed of Sony's own 18-250 f/3.5-6.3 vs Tamron's nearly identical lens...same is said to be the case for the 28-75 and the 28-75 SAM (Tamron and Sony respectively). And while Sigma makes such a magnificent piece of glass like their 100-300, their quality control is far below average, unfortunately. Sample variation is rather large with their lenses and they're more likely to break down someday if you look at the Lensrentals.com website.

JorisVandenBerghe
April 7th, 2010, 00:58
Have my heart set at that Zeiss...called the camera shop yesterday (the Belgian branch of the Dutch shop where Ferry has bought his 7D and Tamron 17-50). Seems like Sony Benelux is having quite a number of products in short supply and it'll take two weeks until it's back in stock...

I think I could get it earlier at my local dealer's, but it's still € 280 (that's a considerable amount of money in my opinion) more expensive there...and the price at the other store (€ 1524) is the maximum I'd ever want to pay for a lens.

Damn you, Sony :icon_lol:. I actually wanted to take it on my spotting trip to Madrid Barajas Airport next week (April 13-15), to use it when we'd go to see the city itself on Wednesday.

Chacha
April 7th, 2010, 01:04
Joris,

Can you find "other" store that would sell it a little cheaper!?

JorisVandenBerghe
April 7th, 2010, 01:27
I've checked nearly every store around here (there aren't too many of them in this area...a couple of Dutch stores have got it in stock but I'm not willing to drive 100 or 150 miles for a lens)...it's out of stock everywhere! The store I mentioned, 'Foto Konijnenberg', is the cheapest, except for the Dutch ones.

It's available through some Dutch stores' e-shop but I don't like the feeling of such a delicate piece of glass and electronics (ok, ok...it's a Zeiss, it's built like a tank, really!) being sent to here via UPS or so...I'd rather get it myself at the store, where I can see it.

JorisVandenBerghe
May 23rd, 2010, 00:54
Head-up: initially read had set my heart on the Carl Zeiss. Still would love to have one one day. But...

I decided that it is not worth all the money I would have to spend on it. It's outstanding and probably one of the very best lenses in the world.

However, I'm holding off for now. Had been looking to get something compact, too...

Now Sony has come out with the NEX-cameras I'm looking at these. Rumors are that a NEX-7 (in the same league of the Panasonic GH-1/to be GH-2) will be coming out, too. I think Sony will release two '7' cameras (the number for (semi-)pro cameras in the Konica-Minolta/Sony camera line-up) at the Photokina in Cologne in September...hopefully along with a couple of new lenses. If the NEX-7 is what I think it is going to be (read: mini-DSLR...like my dad's HX-1) I'm getting a NEX-5...but as I may be wrong I'm waiting...eager to get one actually.

So my current wishlist consists of yet to be releases products...

- Sony A7XX (A750 ?) for my aviation photography,
- Sony NEX-5 or NEX-7 with a prime and zoom lens, microphone, wide-angle conversion lens, etc,
- Lowepro Flipside 500 (asked Lowepro about it this week: currently only available for professionals, sadly. May be made available in retail since a lot of shooters seem interested in it).

You may be wondering why I'm not just getting a Flipside 400 AW...well, it'll have to fit all of my gear. The A7XX, along with a grip and a 70-400G is a pretty big combination. And my future NEX :jump: and all that will have to get in it, too.

Panther_99FS
May 23rd, 2010, 07:09
You may be wondering why I'm not just getting a Flipside 400 AW...well, it'll have to fit all of my gear. The A7XX, along with a grip and a 70-400G is a pretty big combination. And my future NEX :jump: and all that will have to get in it, too.

Just curious,
Why would you carry your DSLR & NEX equipment together :ques: I ask because so far for me, I either take my DSLR or I take my Olympus, but I've yet to want to take both at the same time...

JorisVandenBerghe
May 23rd, 2010, 07:27
Well...the Lowepro and the NEX have a connection :). I'm not sure I'll be able to get to the UK this year, but I'd really like, once I'm all set as far as gear is concerned, to go to the infamous Mach loop low flying area in Wales, UK.

The photographs in this group's pool just make want to do that :jump:. I'm currently busy with an article about the Mach loop for Flightlevel.be. Already asked if I could use a number of photographs to a couple of people too.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/machloop/

Now, back for to the NEX and the Flipside. In the Mach loop you've got to get up a fair bit since it's a mountainous area. Therefore I want a very comfortable backpack, and the Flipside is said to be an excellent one and very comfortable. The all-weather cover is a pro too. The landscapes there are magnificent too (as long as the weather is any good, that is) so I'd like to take my future NEX with me for my non-aviation photography (landscapes, snapshots of people), further reducing the risk of getting dust on my sensor ;). Don't know if you have already seen the YouTube videos, but it has a very cool and decent sweep panorama feature...

Just hoping Lowepro will make the 500 AW available so I've got plenty of space (although the 400 AW is not exactly small, I'm not sure if I'll be able to get all of it in that one)...since the A7XX should be quite a bit bigger than my A350 and I'll probably use a vertical grip, too (enhancing the balance between the 70-400 and the camera).

But that'll take a while. I'd like to go during the summer, but I'm not sure if that will work out for me.

Oh, and I should add that the NEX needs an appropriate bag, too. Haven't looked at one for the NEX along with a pancake, 18-55 and flash yet.

jmig
May 31st, 2010, 05:41
Joris, I come to this thread late. I can't give you advise on lenses. However, I order a LOT of stuff online. In my experience I have yet to have anything come in damaged from UPS, FEX, etc.

Large camera companies like Adorama, B&H, etc., as well as, Amazon know how to pack to protect the item. As a case in point, I once ordered a 52" TV from Amazon. It was delivered to my door by two men who set it on the stand for me. It worked perfectly. (Of course it didn't let my favorite driver win the Indy 500 yesterday. But, it showed the race in beautiful color and HD. :) )

JorisVandenBerghe
May 31st, 2010, 07:23
Thanks for the advice, John - it is much appreciated :wavey:!

What I don't like about ordering online is the returning of an item, or bringing it in for repair. On the photography forum I'm on, there was a chap the other day, who ordered a brand new A850 (you could look at it as a D700 or 5DII, but with higher resolution - sibling to the A900 24.6 MP/5 fps camera). Put a CF card into it, took about 20 pictures. After that: "card error". He formatted the card, used other ones with his other Alphas, nothing works.

He had to send it back to the online shop, which cost him quite a bit of money...I just go to my local dealer, who sends it to Sony and it'll be back within 2 weeks (thank God for Sony's quick service), without any cost if it is less than two years old (warranty of 2 years in Belgium, just like in Canada. The Netherlands are different, like the US - 1 year, although more and more stores offer 2 year warranty on most items).