PDA

View Full Version : Any good virtual sailing games out there?

pilottj
March 19th, 2010, 18:03
Hey folks,
One of the better hobbies in Second Life is sailing, they seem to have scripted sailing to incorperate many sailing type physics and concepts. However you are subject to the whims and limitations of SL...crossing 'sims'...ie transiting from an area assigned to one server to another usually causes a little bit of a hiccup. Also the water is always the same condition...calm...tho you can adjust wind direction and speed.

Are there any good virtual sailing games that anyone enjoys?
Cheers
TJ

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f349/pilottj/misc/sailing_002.png

Piglet
March 19th, 2010, 18:55
Used to flub around in Virtual Sailor. But that was more for powered craft than sailboats. Still had fun when setting waves to 25 ft, then going thru the canal!

Hiede
March 19th, 2010, 19:04
There is no substitude for the real thing.

Hiede

Piglet
March 19th, 2010, 19:12
Well there's no substitute for real flying, but you're at a flightsim site. Not all of us can live in Hawaii, or on a coast.

Kowalski65
March 20th, 2010, 03:24
Virtual Skipper is quite a good game,IIRC up to No 5 now, from small boats to Americas Cup stuff,and a lot of online activity I believe.

Lionheart
March 20th, 2010, 04:19
Hey PilotTJ,

I think I was into the one Tim mentioned, but it was mostly for powered boats and ships. Had some great waves! The waves cutting around the bow and rushing away from the aft was awesome to watch. The coasts were well done with night lighting.

There are some brilliant ships done for FSX that have tons of effects and animations. I forget the gentlemans name that does them, but again, not sail boats. Only motor yachts and high end private craft with living quarters.

Good luck on your quest. Hope you find that perfect sailing sim.

EDIT: Try www.simmarket.com They have TONS of different sims of all sorts. There might be a good German sim over there that no one else has heard about. Seems the Germans are making sims for everything... .

Bill

aeromed202
March 20th, 2010, 05:41
Um yeah Hiede, no fair being in the beautiful pacific. I used to be all into boats, racing, maintaining, teaching, and small scale rescue and salvage work, but lost the opportunities when we moved inland. Midwest US inland. I dunno about a sailing sim, not the same without cold sea water down the neck, things hitting you, making you bleed, rope burn, exposure, ahh those were the days.
But it would be cool to borrow better water textures for FS! Still, now Im curious.

Just took a peek at Vstep Ship Simulator video. Again, can we get those seas over to FS? Wow!

txnetcop
March 20th, 2010, 07:16
Missed this yesterday...this one is pretty good and getting better but a little expensive
Virtual Sailor
http://www.hangsim.com/vs/

http://www.virtualskipper-game.com/en/

http://www.virtualskipper-game.com/vsk5/ free download

There is another one out there but I can't remember the name I used to own a nice Cat based in SanFrancisco, but that was long ago. Virtual Skipper was one of my favorites, but while technically correct it is hard to beat the real thing as Hiede pointed out. I have been a pilot for 12 years but simulation of aircraft is just somehow better than simulation of a sailing ship
Ted
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Henry
March 20th, 2010, 07:29
i have been looking for a good one also
as i am a rear commodore at a Yacht club
it would be good to have one set up there
for the Junior sailors to use
H

txnetcop
March 20th, 2010, 07:34
You might like Virtual skipper Henry. I tell ya I sure miss living in the Bay area there was some mighty fine sailing to do!
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

txnetcop
March 20th, 2010, 07:36
This is it and it's fairly new

http://www.21stcenturypublishing.com/downloads.htm

And Another never tried this one

http://www.stentec.com/en/simulation/sail-simulator-5

Last one never tried this either
http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-SAILS2010/sail-simulator-2010?aff=gdn
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Hiede
March 20th, 2010, 08:59
Well there's no substitute for real flying, but you're at a flightsim site. Not all of us can live in Hawaii, or on a coast.

One of the reasons I come to this forum is because of the real life pilots here.I've been a pilot for 10 years.Ken and I have had discussions about flying and sailing through the years.He more than anyone understood about the wind gusts when approaching and trying to land on Maui.

Hiede

aeromed202
March 21st, 2010, 04:23
Some of these do look fun. I'm going to try to find demos of a few if I can and I'll post links if successful.

Lionheart
March 21st, 2010, 05:59
Man Ted, awesome find!

The last two are by the same company. I guess the last one is their latest release.

I may have to get that. It just looks too good!

Bill

Helldiver
March 21st, 2010, 07:26
Flying is one thing and at that they can't duplicate the real thing. Landing on a Carrier is a big joke. No way can they dupicate that. Planes seem to fly no matter how bad the pilot is. I've done things in Flight Simulator that would have buried me.
But sailing is different. No way can you adjust your jib, just before it luffs the main. No way to bring down the down haul or dowse the spinnaker when you round the mark and have the jib all set, etc. There are too many variables that it seems to escape the geniuses that design these games. Then heel her over and feel the salt spray in your face can't be duplicated.
I've tried all the Sailing programs and nothing can replace what you can get off of Marblehead Harbor in a Rhodes 19. I owned number one boat..

aeromed202
March 21st, 2010, 07:59
Well yeah it is all simulated. It's all up to the designers how hard they want to work at it I guess. At least I constantly tweak for realism, resulting in some shall we say failures?
BTW, I sailed and worked around M-head too. Number 1 eh? Always liked the lines of the Rhodes.

PS- Did you try a salt water mister while playing?

tigisfat
March 21st, 2010, 10:24
That's like saying there's no way you can feel a stall coming or smell frehsly cut grass when you're flying an Aeronca Champ 200 feet over the fields. We have to understand that some thing are impossible ona computer. I enjoy flight simming even if I can't feel G's, Helldiver.

Henry
March 21st, 2010, 11:10
the thing i am most interested in
is getting Kids simulating tacks etc
no you cannot feel the wind
but it gives a good idea
thanks
H