PDA

View Full Version : Tracing One's Family Tree....

Odie
March 19th, 2010, 15:17
Thought I'd pass this along in case someone might find it useful.

I have a buddy that lives in Shreveport LA and we converse on a regular basis and recently he started to trace his family tree. He found out some basic info doing some online looking and happened into the local library to look up some leads.

Lo and behold he found that they had a section and staff that assisted folks in tracing their heritage. Through them he was able to access some of the for-a-fee-sites and gained a wealth of knowledge. Saved him a lot of footwork and he was able to view old census records and other official docs to build the tree.

So if you're inclined to embark on ancestor tracking, check with your local library first. They may have the resources to help.

gigabyte
March 19th, 2010, 17:26
Odie, Family history is one of my "other" hobbies, been at it since the early 80's, there are ton's of online line sites, and a fair munber of the free ones are top shelf. The Mormans have the largest archive of Family History records on any site I have found and it is totally free of charge, they also have "Family History Center's" in most major (and many smaller) cities. The Latter Day Saints have a belief that a person who joins them can "Save" their Ancestors, and as a result they put a huge amount of time, effort and money into cataloguing, archiving and making available all types of historical records, completely free of charge to anyone who asks.

For anyone who is into the Family History thing a wonderful resource, here is the Online site address - http://www.familysearch.org/eng/default.asp

There are tons of other resources, and another great place to start is Cyndi's List, it's kind of a one stop shop for links to online resources, you can find it here - http://www.cyndislist.com/

A wonderful hobby, it can be very interesting and educational, I learned moer Canadian, and Atlantic Canadian history doing the Family Tree than I ever learned in school.

OBIO
March 19th, 2010, 17:49
Being a born and bred Appalachian hillbilly, my family tree was pretty easy to put together...it only has 2 branches!

OBIO

HouseHobbit
March 19th, 2010, 18:00
From the mountains of Eastern Kentucky is another of those folk,

With the help of online sources and the help of a oral family history, that we Hillbillies in my family came from some woman in 1242-1275 who married some guy named Pierre De Morlaix.. Oh Beatrice was the ladies name, They had son baby named William Perkins.. Her father( Beatrice) was some Dude named King Henry.. Somewhere in London?
Where ever that is..
I think there is a London, Ky.. Must be where they came from..Those flatlanders in western kentucky are know to have such strange names
Who would ever name someone King anyway..Sounds as bad as "Sue" for a first name on a Boy..

Brian_Gladden
March 20th, 2010, 05:37
My Aunt on my Mom's side of the family traced things back to revolutionary times. Seems I'm related to John Quincy and Samuel Adams. (Grandma was an Adams from Massachusetts)

Also means I'm a very distant relative of Amy Adams (hubba hubba)

And I'll give you three guess as to what Beer I drink...

Brian

GT182
March 20th, 2010, 06:18
And I'll give you three guess as to what Beer I drink...

Brian

Ahhh, keeping Uncle Sam in buisness are ya. Good fer you. :d And no, I don't mean the one with the tall hat in red, white, and blue.

IMHO, that's the best beer around... from anywhere...... New England home brew. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/GT182/Thumbup.gif