PDA

View Full Version : How far is your job from your house

hey_moe
March 17th, 2010, 01:49
This week I have been working up at the corporate offices which at first I thought I would like but it is 188 mile round trip. I swear when I start the trip back home my eyes get heavy...lol. I leave around 6:00am and get there around 8:00am and get home around 5 or so. I don't know how some of the guys who work a hundred or so miles do it each day. Moe must be a old puss...lol :monkies:

Penzoil3
March 17th, 2010, 01:58
:salute:
I only drive 32 miles each way. My hat's off to you!
Sue

stiz
March 17th, 2010, 02:32
10 min walk down the road :running:

harleyman
March 17th, 2010, 02:49
Hmmm ....maybe 8 miles each way into town....

Lionheart
March 17th, 2010, 02:54
Very short drive.. Like just a few feet.. Cant bring the car in the house, so I cant drive to work. Very short walk. The garage is farther then my office..

Saves on fuel.

Rarely late for work.

Only traffic is Junior when he is stretching in the morning...

:d

Cazzie
March 17th, 2010, 03:15
Very short drive.. Like just a few feet.. Cant bring the car in the house, so I cant drive to work. Very short walk. The garage is farther then my office..

Saves on fuel.

Rarely late for work.

LOL, I was about to answer the same thing Bill, but I would be lting. I am retired and my job goes all day and all over, anyone else retired with family to look after knows where I am coming from. I get at the computer in the morning and stop by for short frequent missives, but I pretty much stay on the run.

Caz

David_L6
March 17th, 2010, 03:23
The last 11 years the trip to work takes me about 15 minutes. For 9 years before that ~ 35 minutes. I've done that hour and a half one way drive to work thing. Never want to do it again! Best was when I worked in Athens, TX. My apartment was 3 miles from work.

Snuffy
March 17th, 2010, 03:28
As the crow flies, I'm not that far from work, about 7 miles, however, as one has to drive in intercity traffic both ways, it boils down to about 10-11 miles one way. It takes me anywhere from 25 to 40 minutes to get from point A to point B.

Chacha
March 17th, 2010, 03:52
Glad there is a computer.....

I can work in my bedroom....

I work and play at the same time, and chat with friends,

I slack all day.... (Joke) :jump:

CADFather
March 17th, 2010, 03:57
I just wish I had a job to go to. I'm still looking, anyone need a Computer Aided Design operator?

TomSteber
March 17th, 2010, 04:12
Takes me about 15-20 minutes from my door to the front door of work.
Last year before moving it was 7 minutes.

SdC Redux
March 17th, 2010, 04:32
Until last year I had a job that took me all across our vast country (Netherlands), average 2.5 hours/day by car. Got so sick of that that I quit and took a job 10 minutes by bicycle away! Much healthier and happier now for sure!:wiggle:

WarHorse47
March 17th, 2010, 04:34
A little over 13 miles one way. Takes about 20 minutes average commute, sometimes longer if the Interstate has a lot of traffic.

--WH

Human Drone
March 17th, 2010, 04:35
I go 26.5 miles through Pittsburgh. There's no real way around it. On a good day, it's 45 min. each way. On a bad day, well, the worst I've had is 2 hours...

But some days I can work from home, so that helps. It's tough losing 1.5 hrs each day when I have land to tend, an extensive "honey-do" list, and a sim or two to fly! Maybe that's why I'm still at the "Human Drone" level of ability! :sheep:

lifejogger
March 17th, 2010, 04:58
I live in Amarillo, Texas and work in a small town 60 mile to the norheast so my commute is 120 miles a day. Thank goodness I car pool. Before moving here I lived in Houston and commuted 60 miles everyday and that commute took as longe as what I do now..

GT182
March 17th, 2010, 04:59
I'm in the same boat as Caz. Work for me is the Honey Do List. GTO and playin on the computer is the fun work. ;) :d

To tell the truth tho, I'd rather be working.......... Retirement sucks!

rpjkw
March 17th, 2010, 06:01
I'm retired, but the last 10 years of my career involved a 90 minute drive, one way. It was especially tough when getting off at 6:00AM after a mid-watch.

Bob

Moparmike
March 17th, 2010, 06:30
To my home, it's a 190 mile round trip.
On top of working a 12 hour shift I got real tired of losing 2.5-3hrs every day driving (or falling asleep at the wheel). I have been renting an apartment 5 miles from work for several years now and am saving a fair amount on gas by paying rent/utilities instead, but I still want to find something to purchase soon. Rent money is a no-return investment but at least I once again have a bit more time to get other things done besides eat/sleep/work/drive/repeat.

Daveroo
March 17th, 2010, 06:37
when i did work,,i drove from my apartment to my dads house,maybe 1/4 of a mile at most,BUT then we got in the work truck and some days we would drive 200+ miles to do a new home( i hated that,i allways felt tired when we got to work)then drove back home..we worked as far south at yosemite park boundry,,reno,,,redding ,,and SF

jankees
March 17th, 2010, 06:46
35 km one way, which is a 30 min bike ride, or anything over 45 min by car....

TeaSea
March 17th, 2010, 07:11
About 30 miles one way...but it's painless and I'm early enough to avoid any real traffic.

Moses03
March 17th, 2010, 07:15

Dang Mike!

22 miles each way for me. I don't mind the drive, its the toll fees that beat me down.

Duckie
March 17th, 2010, 07:18
My drive is about 9.5 miles - 20-25 minutes - each way, no - freeway travel.

As the crow flies, from about 5 mile south of KATL 7/25 to about 1/4 mile north of KATL 9L/27R. :running:

Duckie

djscoo
March 17th, 2010, 08:08
10 minutes on a bad day.

Dain Arns
March 17th, 2010, 08:57

Saves on fuel.

Rarely late for work.

Working out of the house, like Bill.
Absolutely love it.

Odie
March 17th, 2010, 09:24
26 miles round trip. Not bad unless they are working on the roads and have the main route with lanes blocked. Then, it's a hop over to the alternate route.

TARPSBird
March 17th, 2010, 09:39
About 10 miles one way, 35-45 minutes driving time during a "normal" rush hour (no fender-benders on the interstate).

huub vink
March 17th, 2010, 09:46
Exactly 3 km (1.9 mile) which is 10 minutes cycling. I never go by car, as including parking etc., it will most probably take longer.

Huub

Brian_Gladden
March 17th, 2010, 11:53
Depends on the day as I have to travel all over for traffic control. Tomorrow, I'll be less than 10 miles from home. Today, I was about 60 (7am show... had to get up at 5:30) Lately I've been working 80 miles away with a 7am show. Getting up at 4 am and then an hour and a half drive on rural two lanes out at the corner of No and Where.

Good thing I've got a company truck and the corresponding company gas card...

Brian

viking3
March 17th, 2010, 12:08
I have been off on disability for a while, but when I did drive to work it was 50 miles(80Km) each way from my farmhouse to CYWG. I worked mostly 4-4 shifts which made for long days but the 4 days off was worth the hassle. I used to actually enjoy the ride in as it was like decompression time before I hit the ground running at work. The ride home though was pure hell most days and even worse if we had blizzard conditions(Oct-Apr). Sure don't miss that.

Regards, Rob:ernae:

MaddogK
March 17th, 2010, 13:56
Walking distance, bout 45 minutes. On the bike (bicycle) 18 minutes-Ya, I timed it. About an hour if I take the bus. Sadly, my wife insists on driving me as she's bored since she went on disability and can't work.

robcap
March 17th, 2010, 14:11
Depends, now I work 45 min by car from my current project.
Could be 2 hours by plane, like last year, from Eindhoven (Netherlands) to Marseille (France). There I had to drive 0,5 hours single trip.
Anyways, it varies.

R.

Ferry_vO
March 17th, 2010, 14:22
Bout ten minutes by bicycle or by car, doesn't really make much difference. By car I have to stop more for traffic lights, but at least I sit, keep dry, listen to music... ;)

Moparmike
March 17th, 2010, 14:32

Dang Mike!

22 miles each way for me. I don't mind the drive, its the toll fees that beat me down.

Luckily, no toll roads out in the middle of the prairie! I just gotta dodge deer, the highway patrol, (and snowbanks in the wintertime). I'm not on a 5-day schedule though which helps a lot...2 on, 2off, 3on, 2 off, 2 on, 3off for me. I escape back to the farm on many of my days off otherwise I just hang out at the apartment which is 5 miles from the plant.
That winter drive is the big reason why I snagged the apartment...
In the winter I run my sleds back and forth to work some days. If I'm feeling real ambitious, in the summer it's a short bike ride (although pedaling home after a 12hr shift is a drag some mornings!)

gigabyte
March 17th, 2010, 14:38
Well for me it depends, most of the time I work from a home office, I support 75-100 users via telephone and remote access, however I also have to travel to our various offices for the physical work - swapping hard drives, imaging computers, running cable etc. When I hit the road it is generally 130 miles one way for the closest location, and 300 for the largest in NS. I also have Newfoundland, but that is by air only, and not that often.

I consider myself very lucky, I get to work from home a good deal of the time, and I enjoy the travel around the Maritimes, it helps that I stay with family most of the time when on the road so it is not hotels every trip. I also have great fun grossing the gurls out by telling them I am sitting in my home office fixing their computers remotely while dressed only in my boxer shorts, and a pair of big fuzzy pink slippers...lol

There is an image no one needed...lol :)

paiken
March 17th, 2010, 14:40
Less than 1 mile...to get to work. Then at work I put on some mileage, mostly walking.

hey_moe
March 17th, 2010, 14:42
Well I failed to say one thing...I do drive a company vehicle and also get paid to drive to and from work but I still don't like the long drive up there and back.

Chacha
March 17th, 2010, 14:44
and a pair of big fuzzy pink slippers...lol

There is an image no one needed...lol :)

Oh I love that idea....

:jump:

mfitch
March 17th, 2010, 16:03
In winter I have a 2 mile commute which takes about 15 minutes. When snow is not a problem I had a 3 mile commute which took about 15 minutes. They are rerouting my trail, so that will increase to closer to 4 miles and a little more time.

However a bike ride over the creek and through the woods is a great stress reliever, especially after work. I do have trouble with traffic sometimes: moose always have right of way and usually move slowly. Incidentally bumper to bumper with an animal that weighs over a 1000 lbs is not recommended.

itgamer
March 17th, 2010, 16:50
10-15 minutes to work and same back... just gets the car heated up.... really is a bummer in the winter... I get heat just about the time I get to work or home.. :frown:

aeromed202
March 17th, 2010, 16:58
About 15 minutes, a blessing and a curse.

Technogrunt
March 17th, 2010, 17:09
This week I have been working up at the corporate offices which at first I thought I would like but it is 188 mile round trip. I swear when I start the trip back home my eyes get heavy...lol. I leave around 6:00am and get there around 8:00am and get home around 5 or so. I don't know how some of the guys who work a hundred or so miles do it each day. Moe must be a old puss...lol :monkies:

I work for an alarm company and cover 5 ½ counties here in central California. I average between 1000 and 15000 miles a week. I have been getting up at 430 for the past ten years; I get home between 5-7.

Panther_99FS
March 17th, 2010, 17:22
Walking distance....(slightly less than a half a mile)....:)

Ken Stallings
March 17th, 2010, 18:04

The daily commutes for people who work in the DC area is legendary. Some would say insane!

I know many people who would refuse to work in the Pentagon for this very reason. It is especially true given the cost of real estate even for those who commute the 100 miles one-way!

For me personally, if it came down to such a commute, it would be cheaper for me to find real estate about half the price around 150 miles away and simply fly to the nearest airport, keep a car there, and drive to work the necessary 5 miles or so from the nearest airport!

Ken

tigisfat
March 17th, 2010, 18:10
For me personally, if it came down to such a commute, it would be cheaper for me to find real estate about half the price around 150 miles away and simply fly to the nearest airport, keep a car there, and drive to work the necessary 5 miles or so from the nearest airport!

Ken

Ken,

there's a culture of people that I know of in DC and Fort Worth that do this. There's a club in DC that flies that old Cessna 150 commuters because they're.....well......cheap and made for commuting. The other benefit is saying "commuter" over the radio.

Once I started flying I avoided road trips at all costs. I found it much more fun to go skipping to wherever I needed to go that was more than a few hours away in a light airplane. I never followed strict flight plans, I'd stay around a thousand feet for the trip out and explore my way along.

Ken Stallings
March 17th, 2010, 18:12
Daily commute for me? About 16 miles one way. It takes me about 25 minutes to get there one way.

Yes, I drive! :icon_lol:

Ken

Cloud9Gal
March 17th, 2010, 18:16
Daily Commute: 70 miles roundtrip

http://www.tiptopglobe.com/skin/smile/s1251.gif (http://www.tiptopglobe.com/free-smiles-smileys-emoticons-blog-forum-email)

Kiwikat
March 17th, 2010, 18:19
4.1 miles one way.

Less than a half mile from school. :jump:

Matt Wynn
March 17th, 2010, 18:22
Daily Commute.... 104 miles...ish, round trip.... can take anything between half an hour (My record is 25mins) and i think the worst was 5 hours due to motorway being Closed... it's a challenge, i work 6am till 6pm most days mobile always on so as such i never really leave work :jump: good job i love it... 'cept for when i'm driving a bloody desk...

HouseHobbit
March 17th, 2010, 18:23
My Job is in my Home.
I am a apartment manager in the Building where I live.

The furthest commute I've ever had to a job was about 30+ miles, one way..
It was interesting to say the least, driving up I 75 , saw LOTS of wrecks and bad drivers those days..
And I am grateful to God, I no longer have to do these things..

And feel VERY SORRY for all of you who have to deal with a Long commute..
But , I do realize it is needed sometimes..

tigisfat
March 17th, 2010, 18:33
It's constantly changing for me. The company I manage is small, so I'm also the project manager at several construction sites. The average day sees me on the road for three hours going between our offices, the sites and my home.

MCDesigns
March 17th, 2010, 18:47
I am about 10 minutes from my home location, but every other week I have to visit other locations thruout the metroplex, anywhere from 10 miles to 100, sucks, good thing I get gas allowance and a toll tag, only way I will drive on a toll road, despise those things. I payed to have the freakin road built, shouldn't have to pay to drive on it after.

I used to manage a high end chain restaurant for my last job and one of the locations I was at was 120 miles, round trip. I put in for a transfer, but it took 4 months, I almost quit, the drive was insane going thru Downtown Dallas during rush hours both ways and the wear and tear on my vehicle, not fun!

Blackbird686
March 18th, 2010, 02:33
I payed to have the freakin road built, shouldn't have to pay to drive on it after.

Good point...

I'm about 2 miles away from work now. My previous commute was about 34 miles round trip.

BB686:USA-flag:

ajlanm
March 18th, 2010, 07:37
As the crow flies, just over 1 mile but due mainly to terrain it is a 12 minute drive. If I time it wrong a couple minutes could be added getting thought the security gate.

Bjoern
March 18th, 2010, 16:49
Five minutes by bike, twenty minutes by foot.

...as long as university equals work. :d

AckAck
March 18th, 2010, 19:06
Daily Commute.... 104 miles...ish, round trip.... can take anything between half an hour (My record is 25mins) and i think the worst was 5 hours due to motorway being Closed... it's a challenge, i work 6am till 6pm most days mobile always on so as such i never really leave work :jump: good job i love it... 'cept for when i'm driving a bloody desk...

You average 100mph? There must not be much of the trip in a city. (I'd have to guess you might be breaking the law as well, unless you live on the Isle of Man, but I doubt you could have a 50 mile commute there.):jump:

Brian