PDA

View Full Version : FSX Build - Specifically for flightsim - Advice needed

OleBoy
March 16th, 2010, 15:52
I can't remember who I've spoken to here in the past. I believe txnetcop was one for sure that helped me with a good configuration. Any others, I apologize for not remembering.

Let's begin.

I want a machine that will let me experience FSX the way it was intended. FULL SLIDERS.

Liquid cooling is fine. Although nothing elaborate like nitrogen.

I'll do my own Case-Up build.

Funds available: $4,500.00 +/- 1K either direction. (Cheaper is always better.)

SUBJECT: FSX

Start from the ground up. No fancy lights needed.

Recommendations?

harleyman
March 16th, 2010, 18:21
Yea...

Core two Quad or i7 920

Spend about a 1/4 of that for FSX.

Done

You'll never see full sliders in FSX I don't think

OleBoy
March 17th, 2010, 06:11
Yea...

Core two Quad or i7 920

Spend about a 1/4 of that for FSX.

Done

You'll never see full sliders in FSX I don't think

Wow...I've been under the impression that the i7 975's are the ticket...mated to, say the EVGA X58 SLI Classified (MB) along with the ATI Radeon 5870 was a good base....with a minimum 6gigs of memory to make things fluid. :pop4:

txnetcop
March 17th, 2010, 06:51
Wow...I've been under the impression that the i7 975's are the ticket...mated to, say the EVGA X58 SLI Classified (MB) along with the ATI Radeon 5870 was a good base....with a minimum 6gigs of memory to make things fluid. :pop4:

While full sliders to the right is quite possible with the i7 975 it will also depend on what other program addons you put in FSX. On my test system in Austin I run the i7 975 with everything full right but all I have on is default with MY Traffic X and GEX that is all. It is quite fluid even over the cities at 35 fps. I run my LOD at 7.5 everywhere. I have that on a Gigabyte X58 UD7 with Patriot Gamer Series Memory 1600. The i7 975 is water cooled and runs at 4.2Ghz very nicely and stays very cool. I also highly recommend the Gigabyte board mentioned above. MSI builds a nice one as well for OCing and their OCGenie software overclocks beautifully. I also recommend the best single rail power supply you can buy. I use the GTX 285 at work and the GTX260 at home. Be careful of Nvidia's drivers-get the wrong ones and your fps goes in the toilet
Ted

I might add for those with a budget in mind the i7 930 and 960 are excellent for FSX as well. The 960 is only a few dollars more than the i7950

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

txnetcop
March 17th, 2010, 06:54
Cost of my test rig was only $1700 we found a used i7 -975 for $650 on pricewatch.com

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

OleBoy
March 17th, 2010, 07:13
Cost of my test rig was only $1700 we found a used i7 -975 for $650 on pricewatch.com

Good morning Ted. Good info for sure.

I've been getting pressed to the wall (so to speak) ever since the Orbx scenery hit. I live in the Pacific Northwest..and ever since this scenery was released, it's made me look into building a new rig. FS Global 2010 is already sitting in my drawer. I tested it in FS2004, and the experience was very gratifying. I figure if I approach FSX with the needed things, it can be a great experience for my low & slow style for both helicopters and pontooned bush flying. Hopping through the regions of Canada, Washington, Oregon..and hopefully more of this area as time passes can last another lifetime

My idea of full sliders:
I would want things installed like;

FS Global 2010
Orbx PNW sceneries
A nice Sky/Water environment
Some nice mesh

txnetcop
March 17th, 2010, 07:47
Good morning Ted. Good info for sure.

I've been getting pressed to the wall (so to speak) ever since the Orbx scenery hit. I live in the Pacific Northwest..and ever since this scenery was released, it's made me look into building a new rig. FS Global 2010 is already sitting in my drawer. I tested it in FS2004, and the experience was very gratifying. I figure if I approach FSX with the needed things, it can be a great experience for my low & slow style for both helicopters and pontooned bush flying. Hopping through the regions of Canada, Washington, Oregon..and hopefully more of this area as time passes can last another lifetime

My idea of full sliders:
I would want things installed like;

FS Global 2010
Orbx PNW sceneries
A nice Sky/Water environment
Some nice mesh

I have had no problems with FTX on my test system I forgot I also have REX2 and and FSGenesis

thought you might like to read these-we are not allowed to post our findings to the public but these are pretty good articles on the Gigabyte board:

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=458&Itemid=1&limit=1&limitstart=0
http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1210/
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/member-reviews/27504-windwithme-s-x58-review-part12-gigabyte-x58a-ud7-new-generation-spec-review.html -tons of info here on setup

OleBoy
March 17th, 2010, 08:58
Great reviews. Time for a bit more reading.

Thanks

Dangerous Beans
March 17th, 2010, 11:03
Be careful of Nvidia's drivers-get the wrong ones and your fps goes in the toilet
Ted<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

So what drivers would you recommend for a GTX285 and FSX Ted ?