PDA

View Full Version : Gmax help for textures

Squiffy
September 29th, 2008, 16:17
Hi gang. I have Gmax and Lewis' Apache model to go with it. I need help mapping a texture from the model or at least a wireframe so that I can paint a skin. I've looked through the menus and have some ideas but I'm not sure if the model is grouped properly to "unwrap" a pattern for the skin.

Thanks. Got to get to ETO dl too!

Starspeeder_3000
September 29th, 2008, 17:08
The model is not quite ready for mapping, the mesh needs some work done to it first. Mainly it just needs a lot of the virticies welded together. The major parts need to be separated and re-grouped as well.

Squiffy
September 29th, 2008, 17:20
OK Starspeeder. I suspected as much. Just for clarity, it lokoed like many of the components of the model would need to have to have individual textures applied as is, right? I think I saw that in the menus. NO way I'm messing with that. A one piece model is the way to go, plus the usual extra parts. :d I'll table this for now.

hairyspin
September 30th, 2008, 10:38
When the model is ready, you might like to look at Milton Shupe's tutorials on texturing for gmax. They're targeted at FS9, but I believe the principles are the same - I'll be using them myself soon, I hope.

Since the server crash has trashed the threads over at the Aircraft Design and Animation forum as well, the link to Milton's material is:- http://www.flightsimonline.com/C162/

The texturing tutorial is the last one in the list.

edit: only four posts - I must be a newbie! Do I get to be rude about everyone and everything????

Daiwilletti
September 30th, 2008, 16:25
The texturing tutorial is the last one in the list.

edit: only four posts - I must be a newbie! Do I get to be rude about everyone and everything????

LOL feel free!

Starspeeder_3000
September 30th, 2008, 20:57
Hey I'm an Uber newbie with only 2 posts what do I know?!

It's like getting a fresh start, your sordid past erased. You can look forward to making a new self image not bogged down with past baggage and regrets. I'm not suggesting that anyone here needs to, just a thought.