PDA

View Full Version : 'Panasonic G2'

Panther_99FS
March 15th, 2010, 09:08
http://www.dpreview.com/previews/PanasonicDMCG2/

JorisVandenBerghe
March 15th, 2010, 10:24
I had heard about it...looks like a pretty decent camera to me! I don't know about prices though.

It'll take a while until Micro 4/3 and competitors become a bit more affordable, I guess... and after all, I'd rather spend the money on a lens for my DSLR than on a compact camera or lenses like this one.

I'd still prefer an optical viewfinder for the time being. Wouldn't an OVF be better for low-light conditions, brighter etc ?

It's a fascinating evolution...

EasyEd
March 15th, 2010, 19:04
Hey All,

I'm watching this one closely. I'm a big fan of the G1 and have one that I bought for work that I can use - in addition to a Canon G9. I plan to buy my own DSLR within the next few months and am really interested in what the introduction of the G2 does to the price of the G1. There is also the G10 which Panther didn't bring up which is a slightly pared down G2 (both have 750p video). Video isn't that critical to me but I'm thinking I would like to have some capability. I'm also very interested in seeing just where the pricing of all of these cameras ends up given the competition from for example another camera I've been eying closely the Canon T2i (550D) - local price $1000 Can (I can't believe I would actually consider a Canon). Micro 4/3rds I think is getting close to seriously taking off. I like the concept behind m4/3rds cameras and really like the marriage between Panasonic and Leica - makes for some very good lenses albeit pricey. Also hopefully leads to what I really want which is a Leica M series that I can afford - the Panasonic GF1 is close and I'm still considering one of those despite the fact that it does not have a built in viewfinder.

-Ed-