PDA

View Full Version : How to increase my carrier's speed

Bill Kestell
March 14th, 2010, 20:11
I am having a fit getting a Zero off the deck of my Usio "RYUJO" ... it's registering 15 knots and I can't get over about 50 knots of aircraft speed before the flight deck ends (she's one of those long hull-short flight deck carriers).

What and where do I make adjustments to either the ship or the mission?

TIA:salute:

Blue Devil
March 14th, 2010, 21:13
I am having a fit getting a Zero off the deck of my Usio "RYUJO" ... it's registering 15 knots and I can't get over about 50 knots of aircraft speed before the flight deck ends (she's one of those long hull-short flight deck carriers).

What and where do I make adjustments to either the ship or the mission?

TIA:salute:

Well...

...she aught to be able to do 29 kts (54 km/h) for T.O.

So...

...in the ship's .dp file:

[MISC_DATA]
unit_family=7
category=13
allegiance=4
max_group_size=1
min_speed=0
cruise_speed=54
max_speed=54
entered_service=12/1/41
priority=8
hardness=8

...and then select 29 kts for the route speed of the carrier in mission builder.

It may already be set high in the mission, ...but the .dp settings are reducing it to 15 kts.

Also, ...she might be in a convoy piloted by a ship with a slow speed, ...like a cargo ship, ...and that is setting the pace of the entire convoy.

gavinc
March 15th, 2010, 00:27
hi,
The other option is to add some headwind into the mix to increase the apparent speed thru the air. Don't forget that in reality carriers would turn into the wind to launch and retrieve aircraft.

Gavin

bearcat241
March 15th, 2010, 03:23
Its not entirely the ship's fault. The stock Zero air files are underpowered and misconfigured in some areas, i assume in order to accomodate the sim's low-end AI engine in AI landings. In particular you have no flap lift at all in the stocker, which is entirely unrealistic. All carrier borne aircraft deploy flaps on TO as a matter of doctrine, but the Zero's flaps are useless for extra lift. Improving this one thing alone would enhance carrier TO's, but would also adversely affect AI on normal airbase landings. They will touchdown long and carry off the end of the runways at high speeds because brake strength is set too low as well.

Worthless
March 15th, 2010, 06:28
Gavin....How do you set the headwind??

Bill Kestell
March 15th, 2010, 09:45
Thanks for all the help and guidance ... now it's time for me to get BOTH the carrier AND the Zero fixed.

BC ... dumb ... I never questioned the airfile (NEVER ASSUME!!!) And thinking about it ... 15k is only 6k slower than 21k ... and with a little wind across the deck ... you should be able to get a Zero up and away under those conditions.

Jagdflieger
March 15th, 2010, 15:59
Bill,

Are you using the B-24 Guy's Zero or the stock MS job? I think that the air file in the former may have flap lift factored in. If not, there are several flight models available for the Zero that will help out with that.

Worthless,

Setting the wind in CFS 2 is somewhat of a work around. The best explination is contained in Cody Coyote's Mission Builder tutorial. It is available here in the archives.

Worthless
March 15th, 2010, 16:06
Many thanks!

bearcat241
March 15th, 2010, 19:21
... I never questioned the airfile (NEVER ASSUME!!!) And thinking about it ... 15k is only 6k slower than 21k ... and with a little wind across the deck ... you should be able to get a Zero up and away under those conditions.

Rgr that...follow Jagd's tip on the alternate air files. If you can't find 'em, let me know if you need help with the flaps and power scalar.