PDA

View Full Version : RAM Question

rpjkw
March 12th, 2010, 14:43
My machine is 5 1/2 years old and I want to increase to 2 gig of RAM. CPU-Z shows I have two 512 sticks of DDR2 3200 SINGLE channel. Looking at New Egg, I find lots of RAM offered, but most say 'Dual Channel kit'. Are those an acceptable replacement for my old sticks? Some make no mention of a multi-channel kit, so am I to assume they are single channels without actually saying so?

My MB is an Asustek K8VSEDX with a K8T800 chipset, but whether there is a choice of single or multi-channels I have no idea. In fact, I'm not even sure how the channels matter.

I have always received excellent help and advice here, so I turn once again to the SOH gurus.

Thanks in advance,

Bob

Moparmike
March 12th, 2010, 14:58
Yes you can use a dual-channel kit on a single-channel setup.
The big thing you'll want to match up is the type (DDR, DRR2, DRR3, etc) and the speed (PC3200, PC2700, etc) to what your board and your processor can use.
Your board only has 3 RAM slots so I doubt that it's dual-channel.

Basically, the dual-channel kits are two (four, six, etc...) sticks that are matched up fairly closely performance-wise at the manufacturer. You can still separate them or use them as a pair in single-channel mode though.

Try this link for what will fit your board...
http://www.memory-up.com/Memory/AsusK812975.html

rpjkw
March 12th, 2010, 15:20
Thanks, MoparMike. I've been out of the technical end for so long I might as well be in the horse and buggy era. It's confusing so a little education helps a great deal.

Thanks for moving the thread; I wasn't sure where it should go.

Bob