PDA

View Full Version : Of Douglas, Spads, and Whales

PRB
March 12th, 2010, 05:50
:salute:

bruce448
March 12th, 2010, 05:58
Nice, we now need a decent Scooter to complete thr trio.

Bruce

falcon409
March 12th, 2010, 06:18
Nice, we now need a decent Scooter to complete the trio.
Bruce
. . . .and a "Scooter is?:confused:

johndetrick
March 12th, 2010, 06:30
A-4 Skyhawk

kilo delta
March 12th, 2010, 06:33
Ain't Razbam working on an updated FSX native version of their A-4?:)

peter12213
March 12th, 2010, 12:56
I hope so because I've been moaning on about an fsx Scooter for ages now!

roger-wilco-66
March 12th, 2010, 13:12
Nice shot of the two.
Rescue of Bat-22 comes to my mind.....

cheers,
Mark

Reddog
March 12th, 2010, 13:51
Isn't the Whale the F3D Skynight??

PRB
March 12th, 2010, 14:03

Can't say about the F3D (before my time, hehe), but we, in the 1980s, called the electronic warefare A-3s (VQ squadrons) assigned to the carriers "whales". Because it was the biggest darn plane we ever saw land on a carrier!

Moparmike
March 12th, 2010, 14:11

Nope, the A-3 is the whale.
But for the life of me I can't see why it got tagged with that nickname! :p:

I am kinda curious why that whale has two buno's on it though. Is it 138915 or 138959? Both bunos were converted to tankers in the late 60s.
http://www.vaq34.com/a3list/138902-138976.htm
(Sorry, I don't usually count rivets...this just jumped out at me though.)

I agree that there needs to be an A-4 in shot to complete the picture.

Reddog
March 12th, 2010, 16:11
Googled the F3D and came up with this,

* A total of 237 F3D-2s were built, with the last produced in March 1952. The Skyknight served with a number of US Navy and Marine squadrons, generally off of land bases. It was nicknamed "Willie the Whale" for its less than sleek appearance. Marine Squadron VMF(N)-513 was sent to Kunsan, Korea, with their Skyknights in the spring of 1952, where the type served with distinction.

I thought it was called that but wasn't sure.

johndetrick
March 12th, 2010, 16:21
It was really called the "DRUT" Spell it backwards for what the crews thought of it. To say that it was an underperformer is a misunderstatement.

dharris
March 13th, 2010, 05:42
Can't say about the F3D (before my time, hehe), but we, in the 1980s, called the electronic warefare A-3s (VQ squadrons) assigned to the carriers "whales". Because it was the biggest darn plane we ever saw land on a carrier!

The "1980's" why you are a mere child, in the 1960's we called them whales even waaaaaay back then in the Q.

Z-AZ1USN
March 13th, 2010, 06:50
A-4 Skyhawk

<small> </small> Initially dubbed 'Heinemann's Hot Rod' after chief design engineer Ed Heinemann, the A-4 Skyhawk is one of the best jet aircraft to have served with the US Navy and Marine Corps. Chosen to replace the A-1 Skyraider (http://www.warbirdalley.com/a1.htm), the A-4's small design and light weight gave it the speed and power to exceed the Navy's specifications and fight on until today in air forces around the world.

Some additional info on the "Whale"
http://a3skywarrior.com/index.php?nid=115937&s=gl&media_id=317928&showMedia=i

When I was on the USS Hancock CV19 back in 65/67 we had "whales" on board then.
The plane had hinges on it every where so that it could fold and stack on the flight deck.
Even the tail folded. We had one "Whale" that snapped it's nose gear on morning launch of the coast of North Viet-Nam. Looked like a sled going downhill. No survivors. One of the
crew was a young kid aircrew (AW) on his first and last launch on one.

michael davies
March 13th, 2010, 08:36
<SMALL> </SMALL>Initially dubbed 'Heinemann's Hot Rod' after chief design engineer Ed Heinemann, the A-4 Skyhawk is one of the best jet aircraft to have served with the US Navy and Marine Corps. Chosen to replace the A-1 Skyraider (http://www.warbirdalley.com/a1.htm), the A-4's small design and light weight gave it the speed and power to exceed the Navy's specifications and fight on until today in air forces around the world.

Some additional info on the "Whale"
http://a3skywarrior.com/index.php?nid=115937&s=gl&media_id=317928&showMedia=i

When I was on the USS Hancock CV19 back in 65/67 we had "whales" on board then.
The plane had hinges on it every where so that it could fold and stack on the flight deck.
Even the tail folded. We had one "Whale" that snapped it's nose gear on morning launch of the coast of North Viet-Nam. Looked like a sled going downhill. No survivors. One of the
crew was a young kid aircrew (AW) on his first and last launch on one.

Another macabre acronym for the A-3D was All 3 Dead, incidents around the carrier were never forgiving if you were in a whale, many whilst launching or recovering flew with the roof hatch open in some vain hope they'd have a chance to get out.

fliger747
March 13th, 2010, 11:54
Friend of mine (USMC) flew the AD and then transitioned to the A4. At about six-4 or some such I'm not sure how he folded into the A-4. Old girlfriend did her carrier quals in one....

Heinemann's design philosophy was 'Simplicate and add lightness". The belief was that a pound saved in detail design saved many pounds in the final airplane, reversing the snowball effect.

Cheers: T

PRB
March 14th, 2010, 14:23
Can't forget my USAF shipmates... :d The F-105 Thunder-Thud is not the best choice for a photo-op with a "Sandy". Had the big Republic hangin on the edge of disaster the whole time!

Friend of mine (USMC) flew the AD and then transitioned to the A4. At about six-4 or some such I'm not sure how he folded into the A-4. Old girlfriend did her carrier quals in one....

Wow, the A-4 cockpit is indeed tiny. I thought the A-7 cockpit was sort of "snug and comfy", but the A-4 is insanely small.

Prowler1111
March 14th, 2010, 19:02
Ain't Razbam working on an updated FSX native version of their A-4?:)

I hope so because I've been moaning on about an fsx Scooter for ages now!

Indeed, i´m working in a very extreme and complete new set of scooters volumes, BUT it will take some time and will include all the new tech we are developing for the A-7.In the meantime, i was thinking of "revise" current 4 volumes, fix the FSX issues and release them as one single FSX compatible (meaning port overs) package for say..20 bucks?

Prowler

peter12213
March 15th, 2010, 04:48
Yeah I mean the models are great its just the incompatability issues that spoil them really!:salute: