PDA

View Full Version : New scenery design tutorial on SimPilot

spotlope
November 7th, 2008, 06:16
Heads up, anyone interested in scenery design: Christian Stock has just published a tutorial I wrote for him on how I designed the runway ground polys for Plum Island. It's a little wonky, but I figure with the geek quotient around here, somebody might dig it.

http://www.simpilotnet.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=206&Itemid=32

IanP
November 7th, 2008, 06:20
I'm getting there... I'm getting there... Except that half way along I wandered off into trying to do a taxiway rather than a runway. That was a mistake. :banghead::isadizzy::redf:

:d

Ian P.

jdhaenens
November 7th, 2008, 07:19
I'll be looking it up. I recently nabbed a copy of FS 2002 Pro so I could have the right SDK to do the polys. Just haven't gotten around to the experimental stage yet.

Thanks Bill!

Jim

stiz
November 7th, 2008, 07:27
very nice indeed :applause: :applause: :applause:

Is there any chance of tut along the same lines for how you do the airport grounds itself?? or is it the same type of method but instead of a runway poly it's a 1 big ground poly???

IanP
November 7th, 2008, 07:54

Is there any chance of tut along the same lines for how you do the airport grounds itself?? or is it the same type of method but instead of a runway poly it's a 1 big ground poly???

I'm just trying to work out exactly the same thing, stiz... Following a very good suggestion by Bill as to how to get a GeoTiff to appear to scale in Gmax, I'm just waiting for opportunity to try and create an uberpoly that will become the base for RAF Digsby v.2

Ian P.

stiz
November 7th, 2008, 08:35
what i want to do eventually is create an airport with my own custom ground texture, not a sat image, because for the the type of thing i want to do (ww2 pacific airfields) you cant really use it .. unless you want a load of trees :isadizzy: :icon_lol:

The main headace at the moment is finding all the locations :isadizzy:

IanP
November 7th, 2008, 09:39
Sorry, I'm dragging this seriously off-topic. :(

What I'm intending to do, stiz, is not to use a photographic image, I can do that in SBuilderX with an SDK flatten, but my phototexture would be covered in aerials, their bases and some modern buildings. I want to create a polygon, then texture it myself to put in the fake painted hedge lines and blend in the taxiways better. It sounds like that's pretty similar to what you are trying?

Ian P.

stiz
November 7th, 2008, 10:08
yup sounds pretty close to what i want to do, and its not seriously off-topic, its still fs scenery disscusion after all :icon_lol:

crashaz
November 7th, 2008, 12:35
:wavey:Sweet! Thanks for sharing with us guys!

spotlope
November 7th, 2008, 12:43

The technique is the same, no matter what shape the poly. I did the aprons at Plum Island the exact same way.

IanP
November 7th, 2008, 13:22
My problem right now is getting concrete slabs to walk around corners.

Have I ever mentioned that I hate WW2 RAF construction methods? No? Guess what? :banghead: :d

Ian P.

kjb
November 7th, 2008, 14:20
Good stuff, thanks for publishing it.

stiz
November 7th, 2008, 14:22
The technique is the same, no matter what shape the poly. I did the aprons at Plum Island the exact same way.

aaahhhh time to dig out those ol fs2002 disks! :isadizzy:

stiz
November 8th, 2008, 10:34
hit a snag allready, my fs2002 makemdl is 8.00.10912.01 (straight from the disks) whilst bills is 8.00.020403.01 .. whats the difference? mine doesnt have the keep files tick box :frown:

EDIT: nevermind, was pointed over here where you can download the "musta been updated at some point after original release" makemdl sdk for fs2002 pro http://www.scenery.org/tutorials_fs2k2_SDK.htm :wavey: