PDA

View Full Version : SPRING!!!!!!

OBIO
March 10th, 2010, 09:01
For me, today it became official...SPRING is here. What made it official? The call of the Red Wing Black Bird. I had the dogs out for a potty run earlier this morning, and my ears were gifted by the sound of the Red Wing Black Bird. There is a marsh on the edge of the property that is grown thick as you please with cattails....and that is were the Red Wing Black Birds will fight over territory, build their nests, find their mates, lay their eggs, raise their young and sing all the way up through mid-Fall.

I know many people consider it to be Spring when the Robins return, but for me the Red Wing Black Bird is the harbinger of Spring...and they returned today.

OBIO

brad kaste
March 10th, 2010, 09:27
OBIO,...jus' wondering,...seeing that you live in Ohio,...isn't there an annual Spring event where turkey buzzards start to roost in a certain town? I think the town is called Finley...or something like that. Do you live close to Finley and do you come across turkey buzzards catching thermals in your neck of the woods?

GT182
March 10th, 2010, 09:48
If that's the case OBIO, we had Spring here in DE last month..... the Robins were around. But that was before the snow storms. At least with the snow gone now they're eating good again.

Vultures and Turkey Buzzards are here year round. But then again, Findlay, Ohio is further north than we are. I think that's the town you're referring to Brad.

lifejogger
March 10th, 2010, 10:10
Spring may be close, but it is snowing where I live.

OBIO
March 10th, 2010, 10:37
The Buzzards (which are actually Turkey Vultures) are around our area...haven't seen them yet this year...but they frequently fly/soar over "our" property...landlord's 20 some acres...but we have access to most of it....A few years ago, Deb and I took a ride out through the Mohican State Park and we pulled off in this pickanic area that overlooked a deep valley...and we were looking DOWN at the Buzzards as they glided along....if was such a surreal moment looking down at the birds that we usually see above us.

Yeah, Findley has the annual Buzzard Festival. Which is a lot cooler than the festival the town I grew up in had....it is (or was the last time I was there 20 some years ago) the site of the official World Cow Chip Throwing Contest.

OBIO

OTTO
March 10th, 2010, 10:44
Yesterday I saw two flights of geese heading Due North & then today , Turkey Buzzards were catching the currents over the house.
No Robins yet , but it just can't be too much longer .

COME ON SPRING !
OTTO

Dain Arns
March 10th, 2010, 11:21
The dog is shedding. That's usually a good sign. :jump:

Hey Willy? your horses shedding out yet?
That was usually the sign for us growing up, when the horses started losing their coats.

Trans_23
March 10th, 2010, 11:29
64 degree spring teaser in Chicagoland today but it is still March and this is just the calm before the storm unfortunately.

Snuffy
March 10th, 2010, 11:30
Almost hit 74 today ... :sleep:

Bjoern
March 10th, 2010, 14:09
Some snow blobs left but still cold as feck. I want sping to finally come around. *Grr*