PDA

View Full Version : Still more Windows 7 info

aeromed202
March 10th, 2010, 03:50
This may be well known but some folks may still benefit. My kids ASUS laptop I was posting about for a bit? The one with the Windows 7 Black/Blue Screen of Death problem? Well after finally getting an ASUS person on a phone, and after a bit of tactful resistance to her recommendations to buy their install disks, turns out one can hit F9 on boot up and follow the prompts to re-install Win7 to factory default-using the built-it software. Yes it re-formats with loss of files but it beats trying to get the actual disks from them, which we are STILL trying to buy.

So my kid paid to recover all her files and got her laptop back from the Geeks, who apparently knew nothing of this F9 thing, and wanted $150 to re-install Win7 too. We chose the full HD install as opposed to first partition only with no problems so far.

So for anyone finding themselves in our situation this seemed to be a good fix. And if anyone knows of a patch that fixes the Death Screen problem I'd love to know about it. It can easily happen again. Thanks everyone.

Snuffy
March 10th, 2010, 04:15
I must have missed the other story ... (sorry) ... what did she buy and did windows come preloaded?

(I never buy configurations preloaded ... I build my own kits and buy the software outright and install it myself. :) ... not saying I'm right and she's wrong ... just presonal preference.)

aeromed202
March 10th, 2010, 11:40
She got a K60 Laptop with W7 on it from Best buy, decent price too. Things are just going the way of W7 so she bit the bullet.

harleyman
March 10th, 2010, 15:25
Most comps now have a D? recovery partition...Each brand will launch differently...Its a good idea to have a disk too..Lately I have seen over a dozen computers that had Trojans, they got into safe mode and killed it , then got into the recovery partition and killed it too so it wont launch....

After 3 years you can not got those recovery disks from asus..MS will not allow it..

So..get em..keep em..A recovery consol can fail...And they do....

Your Blue Screen can be traced...Enter the BIOS and disable to NOT reboot on errors, than if it blue screens again you can get the code and google it..

its very possible memory related or just a bad OS install or driver install from the motherboard...

BTW...I charge $45 to do a disaster recovery, plus save all docs and pics and files and put them back, plus favorites list etc..Then I set up the computer and optimize it and load software and tutorials to help keep it clean and fast...

DOH Gotta love best Buy.......They kiss you after they raped you????

aeromed202
March 11th, 2010, 09:44
Yeah, they're so nice to us. But it is up and running and I want to prevent this from happening again. We made recovery disks, and she now has a working external HD. I've often heard that this is a memory problem and it is so widespread I don't think it is an install problem. A place called Prevx claims to have a fix. Ever hear of them?