PDA

View Full Version : Fowlmere EGMA WIP

MCDesigns
March 9th, 2010, 14:57
As I mentioned in the other thread, Ed and his great sceneries he has been doing have inspired me to spend more time flying in the UK and I have been having a blast, but as a scenery person, I quickly see things I want to change when flying and this is no exception, LOL

Hopefully the first of a few I have started, this is Fowlmere EGMA. I love grass strips and the sat data resolution for it was unbeatable. It's a mix of default and custom objects, complete autogen and night textures. I know this field has WWII distinction and I asked Ed and searched the forums to see if it had been done yet, so apologies to any developer that has done this version already. Should be uploaded this weekend.

http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/8412/fowlmere2.jpg

Bomber_12th
March 9th, 2010, 16:10
That is gorgeous, MC! Excellent job with the autogen placement, and the imagery does look spectacular!

I myself spend probably 95% of my flight sim time, hanging out around Duxford and Old Warden, so I tend to see Fowlmere quite often - and with this scenery, I will certainly be basing some operations from the field. Even today, you can still fly a Mustang in and out of the airfield very easily, just as the field saw many of during the war. Another neat thing about the field, and you have recreated it very well, is that it still retains some of its original buildings, including the large hangar.

I can't wait to see what else you have, especially as you hinted of other places such as Duxford as well!

MCDesigns
March 9th, 2010, 16:26
Thanks John! Yeah I started a couple of days ago flying out of Ed's Bembridge in the A2A spit making my way up the coast and my mind then went to Duxford since I really didn't know much about it so I headed over there and was rather disappointed with the default scenery. I then fired up GE and had a look at the sat data...................2 days later and 6+ Gig of data, LOL.

There are some amazing grass fields in the UK, I found one that had like a million gliders, it was really interesting and at the resolution I have the grass looks amazing.. I have Duxford in very high resolution in the sim also, if anyone wants to work on the buildings, I can get it set up as a base for them.

peter12213
March 9th, 2010, 17:40
Nice mate... any news on the Afghan scenery though? A lot of people are dying for that! :salute:

noddy
March 10th, 2010, 03:12
I always like to go down to Headcorn EGKH in the summer, always a lot going on.

http://www.headcornaerodrome.co.uk/

Snuffy
March 10th, 2010, 03:34
Sorry MC but I have the Fowlmere I want. Ian P did a great one that was a ww2 recreation. And it panders to my era of flying.

SpaceWeevil
March 10th, 2010, 04:05
This does look sweet, nicer than the Fowlmere in the UK2000 VFR pack. Will it work OK with the default scenery or is it just for Gex X photo scenery?

letsgetrowdy
March 10th, 2010, 12:09
Beautful effort. I'm getting tired of looking at the bleak default UK fields and at the moment there seems to be a UK movment going on :jump: with ACG, Ed, Ian P and now this masterpeice.
Snuffy, I think you ought to give this a try - it's different to Ian's as it is represting Fowlmere as it is currently, rather than Ian's which shows it during WWII. Might be nice to compare.
Keep up the good work MC!!!

Snuffy
March 10th, 2010, 12:32
... Snuffy, I think you ought to give this a try - ...

I guess you missed this part ...

.... it [IanP's Fowlmere] panders to my era of flying ...

I don't fly modern GA or anything beyond 1946 for that matter.

I'm sure if MC had a hand in it, its sure to be quality, its just not my cup of tea ... if you will.

MCDesigns
March 10th, 2010, 12:46
No problem Ted, I know your preferences and they are like mine as well, I just couldn't pass it up with the sat imagery I got. I forgot about Ian's, found the d/l after reading this, oh well, best of both worlds. What I wouldn't give to have this kind of sat imagery from the 40's

Spaceweevil, it is based off of default, the ground you see is part of the scenery, not the GexX photo scenery.

letsgetrowdy
March 10th, 2010, 13:09
Oh, understood Snuffy. I think that FSX can really be showing anytime you want it to, afterall the fields of the UK are pretty timeless. That's the nice thing about FSX, as opposed to something like Lock-on or IL2, where one constantly feels they are stuck in one period of time.

huub vink
March 10th, 2010, 13:32
It looks great Michael, thanks!

Huub

Matt Wynn
March 10th, 2010, 13:52
i think i've just found where to base my Edge 540 when displaying in the UK :icon_lol: great job Michael, beers on me this evening :ernae:

letsgetrowdy
March 14th, 2010, 05:09
Any heads up on this project yet MC? :wavey: