PDA

View Full Version : IRIS F-14 compatible with FSX SP2

wildcat400
November 7th, 2008, 00:56
I was wondering if the IRIS F-14 download is compatible with FSX Service Pack 2 and Accelerator.
A co-worker told me that it is, but I just want to 100% make sure before I buy it.
~Thanks~

An-225
November 7th, 2008, 01:21
It isn't, sorry...

BUT, they are working on an SP2 version, hopefully not long now. :jump:

flewpastu
November 7th, 2008, 02:49
Ive got the F-14 in FSX SP2 with acceleration running in dx9 and it works fine, there are some mods to fix the hud on thier website. It does not work in DX10 Preview.

Bill

wildcat400
November 7th, 2008, 08:19
So which is it? I hate to pony up the cash for it to find out that it doesn't work.

AlphaWhiskeyFoxtrot
November 7th, 2008, 09:20
Iris is working on a port over modle right now... It will be fully SP2 compatable when she comes out.

-Conrad

kilo delta
November 7th, 2008, 09:25
Also there will be a fully SP2 compliant F-14 released by the same chap that brought us the brilliant FSX'd T-45 Goshawk :)

simkid22
November 7th, 2008, 10:01
Ok, the current one for sale is a PORT, the one the team is working on now is NATIVE.

wildcat400
November 7th, 2008, 14:15
Ok, the current one for sale is a PORT, the one the team is working on now is NATIVE.

Please elaborate.

simkid22
November 7th, 2008, 15:54
The original release was made with the FS9 SDK so no spec map, bump map, self shadowing, wont work with DX10 preview, ect. The new version built with the FSX SDK will have everything that FSX and Acceleration introduced including full Acceleration carrier compatibility with animated launch bar and now kneeling along with the other goodies: spec shine, bump mapping, self shadowing DX10 preview better fps performance in FSX ect. If you want it now it will work but the update will be well worth the short wait.

wildcat400
November 8th, 2008, 10:02
The original release was made with the FS9 SDK so no spec map, bump map, self shadowing, wont work with DX10 preview, ect. The new version built with the FSX SDK will have everything that FSX and Acceleration introduced including full Acceleration carrier compatibility with animated launch bar and now kneeling along with the other goodies: spec shine, bump mapping, self shadowing DX10 preview better fps performance in FSX ect. If you want it now it will work but the update will be well worth the short wait.

Excellent! Thank you for explaining. :)

Not to be a pain, but do you know when the updated version will come out?

Chris Sykes
November 10th, 2008, 16:45
Its to be released when its finished... Its definatly better than the original...:mixedsmi:

wildcat400
November 10th, 2008, 20:34
Its to be released when its finished.

Noooo... ya think?

jmig
November 11th, 2008, 03:34
It is so real, I am going to strangle that damn RIO the next time he suggests I let him do the next landing. He knows I am only a Blue Belt.

;)

Smudge
November 11th, 2008, 04:18
The F-14 Tomcat will be released in November. It will have the F-14A and the F-14B in standard and Bombcat roles and will be fully FSX native rather than the current model which is a portover of the FS9 model.

I want to clarify, the CURRENT F-14 available from IRIS is an FS2004 compiled visual model. This is NOT fully compliant with FSX standards, however will FUNCTION in FSX. Users using FS2004 visual models in FSX may encounter texture issues and in some cases, significant performance impact.

This is NOT just related to IRIS products, but applies to most if not ALL FS2004 compiled models ported to run in FSX.

The FSX Native version of the Tomcat will be provided at a cost and a discount will apply to all purchasers of the FS2004 Tomcat and no details have been decided on regarding pricing or amount of discounts at the moment.

And to those who argue that it should be a free upgrade, let me please point out this simple fact. It takes perhaps a few hours in some cases to port an FS9 aircraft into FSX. This usually means adding some camera definitions to the aircraft.cfg file, converting textures from bmp to dds format, although that is sometimes not required and adding thumbnails.

On the contrary, converting an FS2004 model to FSX Standards requires far more work. In the case of the F-14, ALL the XML coded animations need recoding, all the switches and systems in the Virtual Cockpit need reanimating and coding, all the textures need to be reworked from the original masters and require new bump maps, specular maps and alpha channels to comply with FSX standards and a new soundpack needs to be created to make use of the FSX Sound panning feature. Further to those bare minimums, we are working on a brand new flight model, a B version of the Tomcat with the GE engines and Bombcat loadout and are investigating new HUD options.

So as you can see, to convert a model from FS2004 to FSX standards requires a great deal of time and money and that needs to be addressed.

From a personal point, if you run FSX and ONLY FSX... wait until the new FSX F-14 comes out. If you run 2004 and FSX, grab the existing product and make use of the discount when the FSX Native version is released.

kilo delta
November 11th, 2008, 04:34
Any screenshots of the new F-14, David? :)

wildcat400
November 11th, 2008, 09:56
The F-14 Tomcat will be released in November. It will have the F-14A and the F-14B in standard and Bombcat roles and will be fully FSX native rather than the current model which is a portover of the FS9 model.

I want to clarify, the CURRENT F-14 available from IRIS is an FS2004 compiled visual model. This is NOT fully compliant with FSX standards, however will FUNCTION in FSX. Users using FS2004 visual models in FSX may encounter texture issues and in some cases, significant performance impact.

This is NOT just related to IRIS products, but applies to most if not ALL FS2004 compiled models ported to run in FSX.

The FSX Native version of the Tomcat will be provided at a cost and a discount will apply to all purchasers of the FS2004 Tomcat and no details have been decided on regarding pricing or amount of discounts at the moment.

And to those who argue that it should be a free upgrade, let me please point out this simple fact. It takes perhaps a few hours in some cases to port an FS9 aircraft into FSX. This usually means adding some camera definitions to the aircraft.cfg file, converting textures from bmp to dds format, although that is sometimes not required and adding thumbnails.

On the contrary, converting an FS2004 model to FSX Standards requires far more work. In the case of the F-14, ALL the XML coded animations need recoding, all the switches and systems in the Virtual Cockpit need reanimating and coding, all the textures need to be reworked from the original masters and require new bump maps, specular maps and alpha channels to comply with FSX standards and a new soundpack needs to be created to make use of the FSX Sound panning feature. Further to those bare minimums, we are working on a brand new flight model, a B version of the Tomcat with the GE engines and Bombcat loadout and are investigating new HUD options.

So as you can see, to convert a model from FS2004 to FSX standards requires a great deal of time and money and that needs to be addressed.

From a personal point, if you run FSX and ONLY FSX... wait until the new FSX F-14 comes out. If you run 2004 and FSX, grab the existing product and make use of the discount when the FSX Native version is released.
Thank you David!

MCDesigns
November 11th, 2008, 12:41
David, THANK YOU for that well thought out, informative post!! :applause::applause:

it is refreshing to see a commercial vendor tell it like it is and be realistic is their suggestions towards their product and it's limitations if any.

I have the old version so I am looking forward to the new one, especially since the port is hard on the frames, LOL.

Smudge
November 11th, 2008, 14:35
KD, There's a few shots on the IRIS Forum somewhere of the new F-14, probably in the screenshots thread, although I'm due to post some new ones today anyway.. I'll add some here too if the mods are happy. It's doubtful that I'll do the D model as I know two developers planning on the F-14D, although there's been so much requests for the GE engines that I've gone for the B model instead.

Michael, I've been rapped hard on the knuckles in the past for not telling it how it is, and the F-14 whilst good, could be a whole lot better. The FSX version will take up a lot of the new features we've learned in the two years since it's FS9 debut and I'm having a ball flying it and reworking it too..

Sometimes it's hard on the customers to be told things in very black and white terms, but in this day and age with the world in the pickle, I can't afford to not be straight about things.

wildcat400
November 11th, 2008, 14:58
KD, There's a few shots on the IRIS Forum somewhere of the new F-14, probably in the screenshots thread, although I'm due to post some new ones today anyway.. I'll add some here too if the mods are happy.

Though I am not a mod, I am sure that we would all love to see some screenshots!!!!!! :wavey: