PDA

View Full Version : Comparison

Kiwikat
March 6th, 2010, 19:49
Instead of taking a photo for the 365 project today, I ended up posting a comparison shot. On the left is the original shot, the middle is Tracon's edit, and the one on the right is mine.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4067/4412169021_8634260f5c_b.jpg

The higher resolution version is here: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4067/4412169021_59b0f87d3c_o.jpg

What do you guys think? Which edit is more effective? Which do you like more? What would you have done differently?

I learned a lot from doing this with Tracon tonight. A lot more than taking a photo of some random object in my house.

Tracon
March 6th, 2010, 19:55
I'm partial to the far right edit.

Chacha
March 6th, 2010, 20:16
The original shot looks like it is a foggy morning or afternoon walk... I like the capture of the fog in a distance...

Tracon's edit looks like he wanted to show a older photograph....

And your edit, you wanted the picture more crisp, showing more detail on the walkway, the fence, the light post and the roof...

... just my 2 cents...

Will I do something different?

Maybe not... Maybe yes....

I will probably focus on the lines showing more of the left side of the subject, emphasizing on the left fence and taking the alignment of the light post...

Your chosen subject is very good.... "the Path"...

I like it!

...You know, we have our own individual talent and yours is a good one, there is no right or wrong, it is your style... and your style is just right... you will see a great difference as you go along your hobby - photography... even an ugly subject becomes beautiful with the lens....

...Keep up the good work....

Your grade is an A.... :applause:

Panther_99FS
March 7th, 2010, 04:21
Yes, IMHO depends on what you want....

That being said, I like the middle one most....

kilo delta
March 7th, 2010, 06:11
The middle one for me too, although the one on the right looks okay too...just doesn't stand out as much. The image on the left looks as though the white balance is off.

I just checked the exif and it was shot in Auto WB. Sometimes the camera can get confused in Auto but it's not a huge problem as you can easily fix it in post processing if you shoot in RAW.:)

Kiwikat
March 7th, 2010, 06:24
I just checked the exif and it was shot in Auto WB. Sometimes the camera can get confused in Auto but it's not a huge problem as you can easily fix it in post processing if you shoot in RAW.:)

Yup, and that's just another reason I shoot RAW all the time. It's awesome. RAW is sooooooooooo much better than jpeg. However it does take a lot more time in PS/ACR.

Woohoo, we've hit 1000 posts in the photography section. Looks like it's successful so far!

djscoo
March 7th, 2010, 09:26
I think it looks good monochrome, but the walkway is super bright and sort of takes over the whole frame. Maybe a layer mask on the walkway to individually darken and increase the contrast would work.

Tracon
March 7th, 2010, 09:32
I agree about the middle photo edit and the walkway being too bright. If William revisits his photo I might try to re-do my edit with a layer mask as you mentioned =)

djscoo
March 7th, 2010, 09:43
Not trying to be imposing, I was just playing around with it myself and figured I'd share.

Check it out...

I created a new "black and white" adjustment layer and messed with the levels until the contrast looked right.

Then I created a "channel mixer" adjustment layer to adjust some more (the photo is very blue). I used the soft light blending mode and around 50% opacity.

Next, I created a "brightness and contrast" adjustment layer. I just used magic wand to select the bright area, then inversed the selection and dumped it black. I softened the edges (kinda sloppily :kilroy:) with a softer brush and then cut the brightness all the way down and the contrast all the way up. I played with the opacity till it looked right (around 73%).
:ernae:

Cratermaker
March 7th, 2010, 17:07
Well both the processed versions are more appealing to me than the original. I guess it's a toss up for me which I like better though with the possible exception that I like the contrast in the trees in the 2nd one better. The detail in that area is better to me.

Tracon
March 7th, 2010, 23:01
Are you a wildlife guy?

Snuffy
March 8th, 2010, 03:03
Are you a wildlife guy?

No. His wife sees to that! LOL!

Cratermaker
March 9th, 2010, 06:18
Are you a wildlife guy?
Who, me? I don't think I concentrate on one particular thing.