PDA

View Full Version : Hand me down computer advice

olaf1924
March 6th, 2010, 17:20
I am picking up a used computer from my nephew and I would like a few recommendations for a program that will let my spouse do photo editing. The computer is two years old and uses vista along with a E8500 and a radeon 4850. fsx is my number one flight simulator and I am looking foward to see the results. I also have a copy of office 2007 and wondering if this is all I need for photo editing.

harleyman
March 6th, 2010, 18:03
How much Photo editing do you plan on doing? And what extent editing???

Typically you will find that a quad core is best suited for a task as that..But the E8500 Duo will fair prety well too!

You more than likely will want something like Photoshop for what you are after.... OPffice 2007 is not really for that use.

Maybe Coral Draw, or there are some ohers avaible for free that offer that abality too..I forget what they are called...Oh, gimp is one I believe too.

Hope this helps...

to purchase Photo Shop, be ready to open your wallet....:kilroy:

kilo delta
March 8th, 2010, 01:33
Freeware..... The Gimp or Picassa.
Payware.... Paintshop Pro or the daddy of them all......Adobe Photoshop.

All will run fine on that particular PC, though I'd recommend 4GB of RAM be installed.

olaf1924
March 11th, 2010, 08:34
Fellow members how do I find out what type of parts are installed in my new computer.The os is vista ultimate 64 bit. The motherboard is a foxconn p45a series and the video card is a asus 4850. This is a 13 month old custom build and I am not sure how to find info on the computer compared to my old hp with xp for the os. I paid 350.00$ for my new rig and I am wondering if it is going to match up with fsx. I think it still uses ddr2 for the memory sticks. I am still not sure about vista compared to xp.

kilo delta
March 11th, 2010, 08:52
http://www.lavalys.com/products.php?ps=UE&lang=en&page=9 :)

harleyman
March 11th, 2010, 13:59
Fellow members how do I find out what type of parts are installed in my new computer.The os is vista ultimate 64 bit. The motherboard is a foxconn p45a series and the video card is a asus 4850. This is a 13 month old custom build and I am not sure how to find info on the computer compared to my old hp with xp for the os. I paid 350.00$ for my new rig and I am wondering if it is going to match up with fsx. I think it still uses ddr2 for the memory sticks. I am still not sure about vista compared to xp.

Thats a good chipset on the mobo..just make dure to run the fastest speed mem for it with the lowest CASS you can get......

vista is fine for FSX...

Kilo posted a link to a great discovery tool ...

txnetcop
March 12th, 2010, 07:47
Try the free version of this one and compare with Everest

http://www.gtopala.com/siw-download.html
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

olaf1924
March 12th, 2010, 08:42
Harleyman the memory sticks are made by ocz and the part number is ocz2n8005r2g. I hope this is a good memory product, because right now I can not afford any more gaming costs. The medical bills for my spouse should be coming in the mail any day.

harleyman
March 12th, 2010, 13:50
Harleyman the memory sticks are made by ocz and the part number is ocz2n8005r2g. I hope this is a good memory product, because right now I can not afford any more gaming costs. The medical bills for my spouse should be coming in the mail any day.

We can't tell from the part number what speed it is...The Si-soft software will though...

olaf1924
March 12th, 2010, 16:05
I used the Gabriel Topala program and found out that the memory is ddr2 (pc2-6400. The speed is 400mhz of D
DR2 800 and a data width of 64bits. I would like to thank everyone who has helped me with my questions. If I need new memory for a faster fsx game any recommendations would be appreciated. I should have some extra money for new memory sticks in six months time.

harleyman
March 12th, 2010, 19:26
That may well be the fastest speed ram that Motherboard can run...

That is what I run on two of my computers,...Its a good fast ram for FSX..

Do you happen to know the make and type motherboard you have??/Then we can say if it can run faster ram....

olaf1924
March 12th, 2010, 19:55
harleyman the motherboard is a foxconn p45A01. I went to the ocz site and it says that I can go from 400 to 800mhz for the memory. I might be wrong on that. I went to your website and sure wish your store was up in my area.

harleyman
March 13th, 2010, 02:40
NOOOOOO

Your memory is 800... Its dual channel mem.... 400X 2

You are fine...If you OC that CPU some it will read @ 800Mhz....

Here is your Motherboard.... http://www.foxconnchannel.com/product/motherboards/detail_spec.aspx?ID=en-us0000395