PDA

View Full Version : Orbx releases Bill Womack's 7S3 Stark's Twin Oaks Airport for FTX PNW.

JayKae
March 4th, 2010, 10:52
Nestled in the rolling farmland of the fertile Willamette Valley near Portland, Oregon, Stark's Twin Oaks Airpark is ideally located for sightseeing in the Pacific Northwest. The rural location makes for less traffic and a relaxed atmosphere, while providing an easy jumping-off point for flights to either the coast to the west, or the rugged peaks of the Cascade range to the east. The scenery includes a large area of 30cm/pixel aerial photoreal terrain, featuring the various orchards, Alpaca ranches, and small farms in the area. One special point of interest in the area is the massive Glacier rock quarry, located a few miles to the southeast of the field. And what is possibly a first for an FS airport: multiple elevations. Twin Oaks is carved from the side of a gentle slope, and as a result, the Starks' house, garage, and two of the hangars are on a hill overlooking the rest of the field. Lead developer Bill Womack has obsessively researched and photographed the airport over the last few years, with the enthusiastic support of owners Bob and Betty Stark. We're proud to offer the definitive sim rendition of one of Oregon's aviation jewels. For more information and to purchase visit http://fullterrain.com/product_us7S3.html (http://fullterrain.com/product_us7S3.html)

MCDesigns
March 4th, 2010, 11:05
SSSUUUUHHHHWWWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEETTTTTTTTTTTT!! :applause:
Off to get it now!!!!! :running:

From my understanding based on what Bill posted in one of the forum threads here, while it would look much better with FTX PNW around it, it does not require it. Just stating so users can get it if they haven't decided on FTX PNW yet or if they are waiting on the DVD. Please correct me if things have changed and this is not the case any longer..

koorby
March 4th, 2010, 11:40
Not quite true. You do need PNW to get a lot of the fx, 3D lighting, traffic, custom autogen and other bits and bobs around the scenery area. You will also find elevation incompatibilities if you are using default FSX with this scenery.

We market it as an FTX airport, which makes the assumption you have PNW installed ;)

MCDesigns
March 4th, 2010, 11:56
Gotcha, thanks for clarifying John! :ernae:

BOOM
March 4th, 2010, 14:48
It's Fantastic!!!! Thank you Bill,very nice work!

Tylerb59
March 4th, 2010, 18:32
WTG Bill! :)

VFR Reviews
March 4th, 2010, 18:35
Looks spiffing, good job Bill :D

JAllen
March 5th, 2010, 06:46
Absolutely awesome scenery!!!!! Spent all evening flying expanding circles in my A2A Cub just trying to take it all in.

spotlope
March 5th, 2010, 07:10
Absolutely awesome scenery!!!!! Spent all evening flying expanding circles in my A2A Cub just trying to take it all in.

Thanks for the kudos, guys. The beauty of the Cub is that you can fly all day and never leave the confines of the 7S3 area. :icon_lol:

koorby
March 5th, 2010, 12:44
A huge congrats to Bill on this release! This one's selling like hotcakes and for good reason - it's just about the most charming airfield you could visit. Oozes atmosphere.

Mithrin
March 6th, 2010, 00:35
Only did one quick flight around there right after I installed it. I've been too busy but now the weekend is here and I'm just going to get in a nice slow taildragger and explore the area. I am confident I will like what I see!

BTW good show guys, combining two quality airfields with the release of the NA Blue. They are both also excellent starting points so check out the different types of terrain in PNW!

:icon29:

2Low
March 6th, 2010, 08:50
What an amazing bit of scenery!
Absolutely love it. So much detail!

Bill I have all the add ons in your signature that have been released (you need to update it, your sig that is). I've learned that if you develope it, I will purchase it as soon as funds will allow. You are a true FSX artist.:medals:

Emma X please:jump:

:running:Off to the Starks' for another flight.

spotlope
March 6th, 2010, 09:11
Thanks 2low. You're 2kind. :icon_lol: I just updated my sig with the new info, so thanks for that as well.

Now, off to Emma!

2Low
March 6th, 2010, 09:19
Not too kind at all. You have the Midas touch.

Midas, FSX Gold, get it? Bad pun yes. I'm off to bed, you go to Emma.:icon_lol:

tigisfat
April 6th, 2010, 20:59
I have the PNA demo, and I want to buy this airport. It looks great, but over at flightsim.com there were reports of a 150 foot tall tree directly in your approach path on final to one of the runways. Is that true? Are they going to fix it?

spotlope
April 6th, 2010, 22:23
I have the PNA demo, and I want to buy this airport. It looks great, but over at flightsim.com there were reports of a 150 foot tall tree directly in your approach path on final to one of the runways. Is that true? Are they going to fix it?

Somebody's trash-talking my baby, eh? No, there should be no problems with trees interfering with landings. I've made hundreds of approaches to the field without once snagging a branch. I'll have to go searching on flightsim.com and see who's spreading rumors.

One thing: if you decide you'd like 7S3, consider getting the full PNW package as well. It really amps up the look of the whole northwest, and Twin Oaks was designed to fit seamlessly within it.

tigisfat
April 6th, 2010, 22:28
Somebody's trash-talking my baby, eh? No, there should be no problems with trees interfering with landings. I've made hundreds of approaches to the field without once snagging a branch. I'll have to go searching on flightsim.com and see who's spreading rumors.

One thing: if you decide you'd like 7S3, consider getting the full PNW package as well. It really amps up the look of the whole northwest, and Twin Oaks was designed to fit seamlessly within it.

That was a while ago,

I'm late to the ballgame, that was old. You'll really have to go hunting for it. To be honest, I had dismissed these releases but liked the demo. I liked the Aussie fields but not the regional packs.

Anyway, whatever runway is not in front of the field has a tree. The one by the road. It's 150 feet tall and interferes with a normal glideslope. All your fields are beautiful guys, but when you get that detailed the scale problems with FSX show up. It's no big deal for a tree to be 7 times it's normal size. Oaks actually dwarf 747s in the game.

spotlope
April 6th, 2010, 22:35
That was a while ago,

I'm late to the ballgame, that was old. You'll really have to go hunting for it. To be honest, I had dismissed these releases but liked the demo. I liked the Aussie fields but not the regional packs.

Anyway, whatever runway is not in front of the field has a tree. The one by the road. It's 150 feet tall and interferes with a normal glideslope. All your fields are beautiful guys, but when you get that detailed the scale problems with FSX show up. It's no big deal for a tree to be 7 times it's normal size. Oaks actually dwarf 747s in the game.

Sorry, but I just haven't seen that tree, and I've made a LOT of approaches to the field from both ends. Can you point me to a screenshot?

tigisfat
April 6th, 2010, 22:44
Sorry, but I just haven't seen that tree, and I've made a LOT of approaches to the field from both ends. Can you point me to a screenshot?

I'll definitely try for you. Maybe I'll sucker my neighbor into buying it.

Have you guys considered time-limited demos of the airports? Those are my favorite out of all your products.I've got quite a few.

spotlope
April 6th, 2010, 22:54
I'll definitely try for you. Maybe I'll sucker my neighbor into buying it.

Have you guys considered time-limited demos of the airports? Those are my favorite out of all your products.I've got quite a few.

It's no small thing to do a time-limited demo of scenery. The only systems I've seen that allow for something like that are either rife with other problems, are easily hacked, or both. We rely on designing for performance, and papering the web with screenshots from all angles. I'm big on giving potential buyers the tools to educate themselves before plunking down their hard-earned cash.

tigisfat
April 6th, 2010, 23:19
It's no small thing to do a time-limited demo of scenery. The only systems I've seen that allow for something like that are either rife with other problems, are easily hacked, or both. We rely on designing for performance, and papering the web with screenshots from all angles. I'm big on giving potential buyers the tools to educate themselves before plunking down their hard-earned cash.

I can understand that. It'd cost more than it's worth. You have quite a reputation, too. Consumers like me are more likely to buy if we love someone's work and haven't felt burned before. There are people making great products now that took years to earn me back.

2Low
April 7th, 2010, 03:54
Tigisfat, there is only the one runway and there is no giant tree blocking it. Whoever had this issue must have something wrong in their sim.

The field and surrounding area is beautiful. I don't buy many airports/fields but with Bill's name on it you know it's going to be good. I have no problem recommending 7S3.