PDA

View Full Version : We are but a pimple on the face of time ...........

6297J
March 4th, 2010, 04:41
Whereas the dinosaurs were here for even longer than first thought -

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/8547735.stm

245 million years ago - almost too hard to comprehend

See how that compares to where man came in here -

http://www.talkorigins.org/origins/geo_timeline.html

Mindblowing!

:icon32:

Snuffy
March 4th, 2010, 04:54
We are but a pimple on the face of time ...........

Are ya sure? Maybe its some other anatomical part of time ... :icon_lol:

PRB
March 4th, 2010, 05:00
Yep, very interesting stuff. And we also appear to be very precarious here as well, 90% of all life on Earth having been wiped out a couple of different times in the past. These mass extinctions may have to factor into the famous “Drake Equation” for “guessing” how many intelligent civilizations might be “out there”. If planets keep getting wiped out by giant asteroids, or gamma ray bursts, it could be bad for us ever finding any cosmic pen pals out there..! Not to mention bad for us too! Have you guys seen this History Channel series going on called “How the Earth was Made”? I love that show.

6297J
March 4th, 2010, 05:03
Actually in terms of scale that would probably be more suitable - a pimple on the butt of time. And a big butt at that :d

Snuffy
March 4th, 2010, 05:05
I wasn't going to go there, but as long as you have ... LOL!

6297J
March 4th, 2010, 05:11
Yep, very interesting stuff. And we also appear to be very precarious here as well, 90% of all life on Earth having been wiped out a couple of different times in the past. These mass extinctions may have to factor into the famous “Drake Equation” for “guessing” how many intelligent civilizations might be “out there”. If planets keep getting wiped out by giant asteroids, or gamma ray bursts, it could be bad for us ever finding any cosmic pen pals out there..! Not to mention bad for us too! Have you guys seen this History Channel series going on called “How the Earth was Made”? I love that show.

The problem of course is that it becomes very hard to see the point of doing any more work this afternoon. In a hundred years (let alone 100 million) it won't matter much that I looked at the internet for the rest of the day instead. Good job we've got junk TV and sports to pacify and befuddle us and stop us thinking about these things too much or it would be anarchy out there. Opium for the masses, to misquote Marx!

Terry
March 4th, 2010, 06:00
It wasn't caused by asteroids or gamma rays. Every now and then the ET's come around and wipe us out when they see we are about to leave the planet, then reseed the race with cavemen and it all starts over.

Bjoern
March 4th, 2010, 12:54
If planets keep getting wiped out by giant asteroids, or gamma ray bursts, it could be bad for us ever finding any cosmic pen pals out there..!

Or orbital bombardments...

GT182
March 4th, 2010, 16:06
Gee, let's get the world's politicians to watch that video. Then maybe they'd get the message on how really insignificant they are. :icon_lol:

David_L6
March 4th, 2010, 18:08
Have you guys seen this History Channel series going on called “How the Earth was Made”?

Yes, I have and I love it!

Ken Stallings
March 4th, 2010, 18:40
Yeah, all that's true. But they aren't here and we are. So that means we can still talk bad about them! :icon_lol:

Ken

Naismith
March 4th, 2010, 22:07
Yeah, all that's true. But they aren't here and we are. So that means we can still talk bad about them! :icon_lol:

Ken
Which, Dinosaurs or Politicians? :icon_lol:

jmig
March 5th, 2010, 03:34
Which, Dinosaurs or Politicians? :icon_lol:

I thought they were often one and the same? :isadizzy:

deKoven
March 5th, 2010, 03:41

Hmm, yes. I tune in when I see that it's on. A sort of corollary program is "Planet Earth". Very good watching, that one.
:medals:

MudMarine
March 5th, 2010, 03:42
I believe everything scientist say!........especially all the great stuff about global warming! There ALWAYS right! :icon_lol: