PDA

View Full Version : OV-1/OV-10 Soundsets

falcon409
March 3rd, 2010, 20:29
While flying on MP this evening, the OV-10 was mentioned as a good aircraft for the Grass Strips Hoplist. I had forgotten about both the OV-10 and the OV-1. Aircraft come and go pretty regularly in my hangar and at some point those two got moved out completely.

One thing I was never satisfied with was the sound set used to alias (Beech Baron). I just never did think it sounded much like either plane. I dumped various sets in on my own and seem to remember also that someone had actually done a custom sound set for the Bronco, never found that though.

So I went looking and remembered the "Turbine Sound Studio" had some freeware sounds. . . .well, this one may not sound any closer, but it's sure worth a try if you want. I downloaded the freeware "Dash8_Q2_400" sounds and I like em' a lot. Startup sounds very close to some I listened to on YouTube and the inflight sounds are pretty close also.

Anyway, If you don't have a particular set you're just in love with, give this one a try.:salute:

http://www.turbinesoundstudios.com/news.php

simkid22
March 3rd, 2010, 21:00
<center>
If you can part with $10

FS2002/FS2004/FSX OV-10 Sound Set
</center> <center> [ Download (http://www.flightsim.com/kdl.php?fid=50920) | View (http://www.flightsim.com/zview.php?cm=list&fid=50920) ] </center>
Name: ov10snz.zip (http://www.flightsim.com/kdl.php?fid=50920) Size: 10,130,591 Date: 06-14-2007 Downloads: 480
FS2002/FS2004/FSX North American Rockwell OV-10 Sound Set. Compiled to showcase the powerful sound of this unique aircraft. Includes startup, shutdown, flaps, roll, avionics, warnings, doors, gear and touchdown. Compiled from DVI audio source for ultimate realism and quality. Shareware $10.00 U.S. Employs the newest FlightOne Software Wrapper System for download and purchase. By Aaron R. Swindle Skysong Soundworks.

I have it and I love it, I have not had the chance to hear the actual sounds of an OV-10 but these are pretty nice.

deathfromafar
March 3rd, 2010, 21:28
The soundset simkid22 mentions is dead on and absolutely worth the $10. The only issue is that the OV-10 has Garrett T76 engines which are direct shaft drive from the hot section of the engine. When you push the throttles up the response is immediate similar to a piston engine. The FS OV-10 model spools up slowly like a lagging P & W PT6 engine which is incorrect. The OV-1 has a totally different engine, the Lycoming T53 which sounds a good bit different. Once you hear a OV-10 fly, you never forget the sound!

Brian_Gladden
March 4th, 2010, 04:26
You need to remember that the FS9/FSX turboprop engine parameters are "Hard coded" for a P&W PT-6. Modeling any other type of turboprop is damn hard. It would almost be worth it to get similar performance by "faking it" and using a jet based flight model for the instant throttle response. That's how we had to do it back in the FS98/2000 days.

Brian

falcon409
March 4th, 2010, 05:16
Thanks for the HU on the Flight1 soundset. Only problem I have now is that the Flight Wrapper in that download won't activate. I double click on it and nothing happens. I went to the Flight1 website, but that product isn't available through the store. It's not listed anywhere.

deathfromafar
March 4th, 2010, 11:40
You need to remember that the FS9/FSX turboprop engine parameters are "Hard coded" for a P&W PT-6. Modeling any other type of turboprop is damn hard. It would almost be worth it to get similar performance by "faking it" and using a jet based flight model for the instant throttle response. That's how we had to do it back in the FS98/2000 days.

Brian

Yes, true but there was a fellow I think here on this forum who tweaked to OV-10's engines to spool up faster. I tested it and it worked pretty good much better than before. I'm going to see if I can locate those files.

falcon409
March 5th, 2010, 04:51
I e-mailed Aaron about purchasing his soundset and he acknowledged that Win7 sometimes causes problems with the Flight1 Purchasing Module and he has no way of fixing that problem. Of course, that's what I've run into. I downloaded the file from Flightsim.com but the module won't run.

Sometimes, it's just easier to walk away than keep pushing, lol, lol. I'm perfectly happy with the soundset I'm using now!!:salute:

euroastar350
March 5th, 2010, 19:23
I have some T53 sounds I can put together for the OV10:wiggle:

atf300
April 4th, 2010, 05:07
I have some T53 sounds I can put together for the OV10:wiggle:

how is it progressing ?