PDA

View Full Version : OT; Apple iPod Album Art missing; Fixed!

Lionheart
November 6th, 2008, 11:32
Hey guys,

If any of you have an iPod with tons of music in it, and you have the horizontal 'changing' display that shows Album Art, and you have many songs and or albums that have no album cover showing, did you know you can fix that?

Turn on iTunes which is the interaction program that sync's and organizes iPod. In your Music (HD) Library, select the song(s) that have no art displaying. Right click on the line and select 'Get Info' (first selection choice in the right click menu). Click Album 'Artwork' tab. Click 'Add' and browse to the album art of your choice of which you can find online on the web. (Go online and find what album art you need 'first' then start placing them into the Art tabs of your songs).

Note, some will need to have the Album Art installed or 'Added' to each song in an album for them to show up during 'play' on the ipod device. Takes a while, but you can copy/paste paste paste all the albums into all the songs. Then run Sync and Voilla! All Albums show up.

I got all of my Albums working last night doing this. (Couldnt sleep). I found most on Google under Image searches. Also look in Ebay for older ones. For some of my classic albums, I made my 'own' Album art! :d (Sort of like repainting an FS plane, but its an Album instead, lol). For Albums I made, I simply found subject matter (like the countrysides of Tuscany or art of Antonio Vivaldi) and meshed them together in Adobe Photoshop, wrote on it what it was (like Mozart for instance), and Voila.... !

Also, did you know that you can make iTunes on your computer display that cool 3D album art menu??? Yes... It does. You can use Arrow keys to paruse the album stack just like in iPod, and its on your computer. Once more, you can add existing HD music to your collection (dont need a CD) and you dont need a iPod to have iTunes either. iTunes is a freeware download music manager that can also Sync your ipod or other devices, and is directly linked to the infamous iTunes online store site. (.99 cents a song and some freeby music as well, and movies and video music, etc... ).

To add an existing Album folder from your computer HD, simply copy/paste the album folder into your iTunes folder sets. Then in iTunes, click File/Add Folder (or File for a single song), and click Add. When its done, click Advanced/Get Album Art and Get Album Track Names. It should find everything online, but if not, read above. ;)

Man, this is too cool.....! When Rutan said in his latest speech, that technology is usually raised most when applied to 'fun' things, he wasnt kiddin around....

Bill

A couple of my 'home made' album covers and I had to switch back/replace my new Kate Bush cover for the old one. (I think its the American release, not sure).

Railrunner130
November 7th, 2008, 18:00
I've got almost 7,000 songs on my Ipod and this is a constant issue. Sometimes artwork shows, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it downloads and most likely it forgets.... I give up on the artwork issue.

Lionheart
November 7th, 2008, 19:45
Hey RailRunner,

If you enter (add) an Album Art to a Album, it only attaches to the first song. I found I had to attach the Art to every song on the Album. Takes an extra couple of min's, but it does the job.

Bill

rayrey10
November 7th, 2008, 20:09
Another cool feature is the "Smart Playlist". You can get ITunes to make a playlist based on whatever criteria you set like artist, genre, last played or multiple criterea i.e., Kate Bush songs that you haven't palyed in the last month. That way you don't have to go searching for it. It comes in handy for someone like me that has about 125 Gb of music (think the song count is around 21,000+ songs) and I still have about 200 records and 300 CDs to add:isadizzy:.

Also you can rate music, which in conjuction with the Smart Playlist allows you to quickly make a new playlist. For example, I rate songs that I don't like 1 star > that way I can easily see that I rated them. The rest I rate 2, 3, 4 or 5 stars depending on how I like them. Then I'll make a smart playlist for Rock (or whatever genre I'm feeling that day) that I've rated 5 stars or maybe 4 & 5. ITunes makes the playlist, I synch my IPod and off I go. I'm also using this feature to rate music...i.e., Smart Playlist for Rock songs that have less than a one star rating, and BAMM new playlist with songs that I will rate as I listen to them.

I've also heard that the "Genius Sidebar" is a pretty cool feature, a somewhat more automated smart playlist, but I have not had time to play around with it...been having a heck of time trying to get FS9 back to the way it used to be before my pc crashed.

Dain Arns
November 8th, 2008, 04:29
I've got almost 7,000 songs on my Ipod and this is a constant issue. Sometimes artwork shows, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it downloads and most likely it forgets.... I give up on the artwork issue.

I have an older one that was pre-artwork. I'd love to have one of the newer ones. Anyway mine is old, it just forgets songs sometimes... :banghead: :icon_lol:

jmig
November 8th, 2008, 04:34
I have a "the world has passed me by" question. Can you put mp3 files on an Apple iPod from a MS-XP computer?

I am getting a new GMC Acadia for my company car. It has a place where you can plug in a mp3/iPod. I am thinking of getting one to handle music. Of course, it comes with XM radio....maybe I won't need the iPod? :costumes:

Dain Arns
November 8th, 2008, 04:38
XM Radio is subscription though. One reason I pass on it.

Yes you can use MP3's, but iTunes will make a copy and convert it to their format when you include it in the iTunes music library on your computer. Then when you hook up your iPod, it syncs up, and loads the new music added. Okay that's a simple description, I'm sure someone has a more technical one.

And probably a longer answer and more info than you were looking for, jmig, sorry. :icon_lol:

Lionheart
November 8th, 2008, 06:03
I have a "the world has passed me by" question. Can you put mp3 files on an Apple iPod from a MS-XP computer?

I am getting a new GMC Acadia for my company car. It has a place where you can plug in a mp3/iPod. I am thinking of getting one to handle music. Of course, it comes with XM radio....maybe I won't need the iPod? :costumes:

Dain is right. iTunes is the interaction program for iPod. You add files/folders (songs) to iTunes, then run 'Sync' and that places the music from your HD to your iPod.

iTunes can run on WinXP and vista and you can actually run iTunes free, (free download) and start playing music on your computer. Basically, iPod is a very small iTunes device. (In vista, I can bootup iTunes, go to Music Library, and go to Flip Album mode and use arrow keys to flip through my albums, on Windows.... ). :d

I have been learning to snag video and YouTube files, placing them in iTunes Library, adding them in through file system, then right click and 'convert to iPod format', then run Sync, and its on the iPod. I converted one of my DVD's the other day to iPod format, and loaded it up, lol... the movie 'A Good Year'. I think its about 1.2 or gigs total on that movie. I can take if off when I want. I just wanted to see if it could be done).

Bill