PDA

View Full Version : Addons to make FSX look better

Merlin216
March 1st, 2010, 11:14
I just recently got REX and am very pleased with it. The main thing that has bothered me with FS in general is the ground detail. The desert seems to be very light colored. I spend 90% of my time flying around Arizona, California, and Nevada so I have really started to notice it. I have also noticed a few areas in FSX left without any buildings where there should be. The city right next to mine is even larger and it was left out of FSX. Are there any addons, payware or freeware, that can change the ground textures to look more realistic, and possibly fix those cities that were left out of FSX? I am not looking for anything that excludes autogen though. Lacking buildings or trees tends to mess with me a bit so I have kinda stayed away from Megascenery and other Photo real addons.

IanHenry
March 1st, 2010, 11:54
Try UTX and GEX from Flight 1 or if you fancy FTX. All those products are very good.

Ian.

Merlin216
March 1st, 2010, 15:04
I have been looking at GEX and it looks awesome. I only saw a Pacific North West for FTX though.

What about Ultimate Terrain X? Is it worth getting if you get GEX?

jmig
March 1st, 2010, 18:02
UTX and GEX work together. GEX is a set of replacement textures. UTX is an advance landclass with some textures around cities. They work together hand in hand.

Francois
March 1st, 2010, 23:24
UTX also adds the TRUE coast lines, river shores and road/rail network...... ;-)

jankees
March 2nd, 2010, 05:58
Don't forget all the FTX scenery, nothing looks better...well, I think so anyway

Merlin216
March 2nd, 2010, 10:01
Thanks for the info guys. Probably going to get GEX. Not sure about UTX just yet.

guzler
March 2nd, 2010, 10:36
Wouldn't a landclass be the immediate answer to get cities where there should be cities ?

But do agree, UTX is a must.

IanHenry
March 2nd, 2010, 10:38
Merlin,
GEX is great, however I feel you will be missing something if you don't have UTX as well. Of course it all depends hoe big your budget is, this can all get very expensive.

Best of luck,
Ian.

Merlin216
March 2nd, 2010, 10:46
Budget is a factor. I wish these addons for flight sim werent so expensive. UTX will have to wait a little, but its on the list. I figured GEX would be the first option since I am more annoyed over the textures. Id like to have better looking desert textures.

piperarcherpilot
March 2nd, 2010, 15:03
If you want some awesome freeware textures that really fix the bland desert problem, go to avsim or flightsim.com and search for "Adam Mills Desert". Mr Mills did an eight part texture file update for the USA that makes the western states look true to life.

Sundog
March 2nd, 2010, 17:10
There's plenty of freeware scenery at this link, including the Grand Canyon and Death Valley. (http://aussiex.org/forum/index.php?app=downloads&showcat=1)