PDA

View Full Version : Excuse me Buddy ... ya got the time???

Snuffy
March 1st, 2010, 05:21
Need a watch?

Try paying for one of these ...

http://www.foxnews.com/slideshow/entertainment/2010/02/25/watches-cost-houses?slide=1

cheezyflier
March 1st, 2010, 06:29
further proof that i have no taste. the only watch in the whole bunch that i even liked was the cartier.

it reminded me though, i used to work with a guy who had a watch that would tell the weather in any major city in the world. it had a sattelite reciever built into it.

Quixoticish
March 1st, 2010, 06:34
I quite like the Patek Phillipe, and the Cabestan is intriguing, it definitely has a touch of steampunk about it.

brad kaste
March 1st, 2010, 06:41
.............I'll stick to my Timex,....if I had the money or not.

Dain Arns
March 1st, 2010, 07:46
.............I'll stick to my Timex,....if I had the money or not.

I like the Cartier, Patek Phillipe, and the Maitres du Temps.
But 1.4 million dollars for a watch?
I guess that's why I'm poor.
I sit and wonder how many people that would feed in my area who are in worse financial shape than me right now... :kilroy:

mike_cyul
March 1st, 2010, 08:01
I have always thought that if it takes more than a tenth of a second to figure out what the time is, especially in dim light, then a watch, no matter how much a mechanical marvel, is basically a failure. Not too many watches there that I would buy, even if I won the lottery.... :)

Mike

Matt Wynn
March 1st, 2010, 08:07
i'll Stick with my G-Shock, Rolex and Citizen 'Blue-Angels' watch :kilroy:

cheezyflier
March 1st, 2010, 08:38
been wearing these for about 15 yrs i think. the only trouble i have is once i change the battery, they fog up in the heat. otherwise i would still own the first one i bought

http://www.zagg.com/images/products/full/CASDB150S.jpg

***BTW, i am purposely not posting the chicago song that everyone immediately thought of when they read the title to the thread (unless they were thinking of the chambers brothers

Jagdflieger
March 1st, 2010, 09:14
I too have been wearing the Casio Data Bank watch ever since the first ones came out in the early to mid-80s. One time during an assignment in the Philippines, the only thing the watch would do was tell time. As that was its primary function I didn't worry too much about it. When the tour was over, I got on the Freedom Bird back to the States and it started full operation almost as soon as the dry-air-conditioned air in the plane dried it out.

As for the fancy watches, I guess I'll let someone else wear 'em, although I still have my Seiko self winding watch that I bought on my way to VN at the Yakota Air Base BX in Japan. It's the fanciest watch that I've ever had. I used it every day until I got my first Data Bank digital watch.

From what I read, the current generation of teenagers and young adults are not wearing watches as much anymore as the cell phone has usurped that duty. It seems to be true for my teenagers at any rate.

bismarck13
March 1st, 2010, 09:26
I have a Lucien Piccard Watch. Retails for a few Hundred I think. I found it under the back seat of a crashed Audi that I was stripping down for parts . . .

:icon_lol:

BurningBeard
March 1st, 2010, 11:00
I've popped a couple of hundred bucks on watches in the past (used them for diving mainly) but what I wear now is the favorite of all the watches I have owned. A Timex Expedition, its analog and electric, and you can lite up the face to read it at night.

Beard

paiken
March 1st, 2010, 11:32
I also use a Timex Expedition. In my line of work, I've busted a couple of watches getting the mail in and out of my truck, but the Timex has taken a beating for the last 5 years without a hiccup. I've had to replace the band once (the velcro wore out).

MaddogK
March 1st, 2010, 11:36
LOL, another site blocked.

Least I own a rather dated Wittnauer self winder that I love, and the wife bought me a new Seiko (for those formal affairs),
Nuthin goes better with jeans than one of the six Swatch's I own.

Henry
March 1st, 2010, 12:55
i love timex
i have a few they are all the same:icon_lol: analog
night light
the straps wear out and its cheaper to buy a new one
than replace the strap
i got a drawer full of em
H

6297J
March 1st, 2010, 13:04
My watch costs the same as a very nice second hand car. But as I don't drive a car and will never own one I feel perfectly ok with it. (I'm also single and have no kids!)

Bjoern
March 1st, 2010, 21:31
My mobile phone is my watch.

For exams, I've got a cheap automatic .

Willy
March 1st, 2010, 22:16
Watch what?

harleyman
March 2nd, 2010, 15:28
My body chemestry kills watches in about 3 months..never to tell the corect time again..they run fast, stop, run slow on me...LOL

jmig
March 2nd, 2010, 17:19
I still use my Seiko pilot's watch. Of course, I can't read the little dials anymore. I still impresses girls....I think?

I read an article not long ago that said watches are going the way of the horse buggy. It seems everyone uses their cell phones to tell the time now.

Cloud9Gal
March 2nd, 2010, 18:15
I still use my Seiko pilot's watch. Of course, I can't read the little dials anymore. I still impresses girls....I think?

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-signs117.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

Tako_Kichi
March 2nd, 2010, 18:16
My body chemestry kills watches in about 3 months..never to tell the corect time again..they run fast, stop, run slow on me...LOL
I used to be like that with mechanical watches. After about 3 months the hairsprings used to look like corkscrews! :isadizzy:

Digital watches were the saviour for me...no moving parts...lol.

CADFather
March 2nd, 2010, 18:28
I still wear a watch, give me about fifeteen minutes and I'll tell you the time to within 12 hours plus or minus.

You can get yours here. http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/watches/6a17/

CAD