PDA

View Full Version : I Took the Pro's Advice here

flewpastu
February 28th, 2010, 12:39
Well I took everyone's advice and Id like to say "Thanks to Everyone". I replaced vista 64 with Windows 7 64, wiped everything out and reformatted and MAN what a difference. Im not saying the windows 7 did the trick on better frames for FSX, I think it was a combination of that and all the JUNK that I had accumulated over the last few years in FSX. I am steady at 25 fps with most of the sliders to the right. I spent all night and most of today re-installing GEX usa, GEx Europe, Ult terrain USA,CAN and EUROPE and Alaska and finally installing Tongass X about an hour ago. I stll need to Defrag but if the fps Im getting now are any indication it should be a smooth ride. I almost forgot I also installed REX2.0. I put most of what I could on drive c and pretty much only dedicated stuff to drive D wich is where I have FSX. I was considering just getting the whole ddr3 I7 processor and a new mother board, but after my initial run with my current setup I am very pleased. So thanks to all that gave me the advice, you saved me alot of money. My current setup is Q9650 Oc'd to 4.0 and 4 gig of ddr 2 ram with an 8800gtx on an asus motherboard. In short take a look at what you have stashed in fsx and clean it out if you dont use it becouse I think that had alot to do with my performace upgrade in the area of FPS. Just my opinion.

Bill

cbreeze
February 28th, 2010, 16:20
flewpastu,

Happened to notice your thread here. I too have a new computer running Win7 and FSX on it's own drive. Reading through your thread I noticed that you indicated that you put some other add on programs on C. This is the first I have heard of this and was wondering if you could explain it a little more to me.

Is there a special way to do this?
What kinds of add on programs would you want to keep separate from FSX?

Thank you,

cbreeze

harleyman
February 28th, 2010, 17:16
You can install any addon off the FSX drive that is just texture rewrites..

GEX FEX Meshes are a few ....

To do this first make a folder , called , say GEX, then place that folder OFF of the FSX drive..When you install the addon, browse the installer to you new folder that you placed ...

flewpastu
February 28th, 2010, 17:19
Cbreeze, I put GEXUSA and GEXEU on C drive, I also pu REX2 on Cdrive plus all the little programs like the SDK from microsoft on C and other programs like HELI traffic AI ships all my paint kits. I ended up puting ultimate terrains on my fsx d drive becouse I didnt think I had a choice?. In short any program that I can use with FSX that is an addon I put on my c drive with windows. Ran a long defrag with OandO defrag and the frame rates are still pretty good. Like I said before it was a bunch of work but everything seems to be working great. On some of the programs I had to make a new folder in the c drive to get the program to point to it but thats about it. To be clear I had 2 250gig hard drives and when I formatted I partitioned the c drive tp 164 gig's and the D drive to 300 gigs. My D drive is 57 gigs all FSX and my C drive is 44 gig's with alot of FSX stuff on my c drive. Hope this helps, Im no pro at this but after some trial and error I think I got the reight set up, let me know If I can help you.

Bill

cbreeze
February 28th, 2010, 17:25
Thanks for the responses. I am going to give your ideas a try. I haven't decided on a weather add on yet but am leaning towards REX.

cbreeze

flewpastu
February 28th, 2010, 18:17
I had active sky and one other, REX in my opinion beats them all, easy to use and setup is not complicated

Bill

harleyman
February 28th, 2010, 18:23
I had active sky and one other, REX in my opinion beats them all, easy to use and setup is not complicated

Bill

I have heard that REX 2.0 is simply amazing....

I have FEX, and use the old AS6.5 engine to run weather...But I am seriously thinking about REX ...

UnknownGuest12
March 1st, 2010, 08:48
"I replaced vista 64 with Windows 7 64"
Hi
Is there any improvement for FSX running 64 instead of 32? Want to buy 7 but having problems with 64 drivers for some hardware. Know the difference between 32-64, think FSX is a 32 program, no?

Regards

cbreeze
March 1st, 2010, 16:38
Greetings,

Thanks to all who responded. I am going to take the plunge and get REX in the next day or so and I would like to try and install it on the C drive where Win7 is. FSX is alone on D. So (keeping in mind that I am a little computer challenged), I simply make a new folder on C, lets say REX and install it there and it's that simple, right?

Thank you all for your patience and sharing your knowledge,

cbreeze

hey_moe
March 1st, 2010, 17:07
FSX runs very smooth on my system. W7/64 has not giving me any trouble so far. Vista didn't either but it still drove me nuts sometimes...lol. I feel W7 handles programs better but thats me...Mike

flewpastu
March 1st, 2010, 17:25
Cbreeze, I just pointed the program to my C drive and hit install and it did the rest, when you go to configure REX you will see where it is installed and tell the configurator where FSX is (Ddrive).

Bill

cbreeze
March 1st, 2010, 18:06
Hey, I think I can do that. Thank you.

cbreeze