PDA

View Full Version : Question of the Day (02-28-10)

Cloud9Gal
February 28th, 2010, 06:14
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-signs002.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

If you won megabucks at the lottery, what would be the first thing you would buy?

**However, before answering, remember that it can't be something for you, and can't be something the other person needs.

QOTD was submitted by: Cheezyflier
Thanks CF :)

Cazzie
February 28th, 2010, 06:30
Pay one-trillionth of the debt we owe to China!

Chacha
February 28th, 2010, 06:43
Then, fund the research for Hydrogen or water as an alternative use for gasoline - ....

And perhaps fund a research for the possible cure of uncurable sickness - NOT FDA regulated....

And... my list will go on and on...

Kiwikat
February 28th, 2010, 06:52
One of our family friends runs a wildlife rehabilitation center. She is like a grandma to me. Her only income now is a tiny bit from the government and what she gets from driving a school bus. I'd pay off whatever is left on her house and get her some new supplies and whatever else she wants. I've learned so much from volunteering out there.

Not a penny of my winnings would go to a church. :mixedsmi:

Matt Wynn
February 28th, 2010, 06:55
no question about it.... I'd buy a Pagani Zonda or possibly a Lamborghini Diablo or Countach, then again possibly a Gallardo...:icon_lol:

kilo delta
February 28th, 2010, 07:07
no question about it.... I'd buy a Pagani Zonda or possibly a Lamborghini Diablo or Countach, then again possibly a Gallardo...:icon_lol:

"remember that it can't be something for you"

I'll gratefully accept your gracious gift,Matt ....Diablo please...not fussed on the Gallardo and the Countach is for Medallion man with fake chest wig! :icon_lol:

Matt Wynn
February 28th, 2010, 07:17
it won't be for me it will be for my lead foot :icon_lol: ok if it can't be something for me.... i don't know possibly set up days on firing ranges for disabled/injured service personnel... or track days with said car(s) of course i'll have to drive the cars to/from venues :icon_lol:

seriously though i'd have an issue with donating money to the church after in effect gambling... then again my first thought has always been to buy a Ferrari Superamerica for my mum... a Lamborghini Countach for my dad, a mini for my brother... whats left i'd buy my ferrari then just bank it, let it gain interest, i'd even keep working :icon_lol:

WarHorse47
February 28th, 2010, 08:21
A fully restored Lockheed P-38 for our local air museum. :mixedsmi:

--WH

Lionheart
February 28th, 2010, 08:40
10% To my church, first thing.

I'd pay off mom's home. Then...... a plane! a real one. Not a payware beauty, but a bonified, actual, real deal plane, and a nice hanger for it, with a chair in front of it so I can stare at that beautiful thing...

:d

Milton Shupe
February 28th, 2010, 09:13
First I would establish a foundation with a 3-pronged mission to 1) help animals (in support of organizations like Best Friends in Utah) and organizations to help get animals there, 2) to provide educational assistance to the qualified needy, and 3) to support immediate relief organizations like soup kitchens.

Cloud9Gal
February 28th, 2010, 10:17
Milton~ You and I think alike in this aspect! I, as well, would donate money to help save endangered animals. Ever since I moved to PA, I've always said that, should I hit it "BIG"one day, I would pay to get some of the deer out of PA and moved to Canada. Every day, on my way to work, I see them laying dead on the sides of I-79.
I would also donate to local soup kitchens, I would have houses built for the poor and needy. I would also help develop and sponsor different educational programs for children who's parents simply can't afford to send them to college.

Like Chacha said, the list goes on and on..

AckAck
February 28th, 2010, 10:32
Sorry C9G, with the rules you stipulated, you can't do any of that. Can't be for you, and can't be something they need. I think "poor and needy" disqualifies them.... You've pretty much eliminated any charity, either by the fact that they need it, and thus can't have it, or if it is unnecesary to them, then you would be doing it for you (makes you feel better by doing something for others).

So, dang it, you can't really do something selfless under those stipulations.

Brian

Cloud9Gal
February 28th, 2010, 10:48
Sorry C9G, with the rules you stipulated, you can't do any of that. Can't be for you, and can't be something they need. I think "poor and needy" disqualifies them.... You've pretty much eliminated any charity, either by the fact that they need it, and thus can't have it, or if it is unnecesary to them, then you would be doing it for you (makes you feel better by doing something for others).

So, dang it, you can't really do something selfless under those stipulations.

Brian

I hate it when you burst my bubble like that! :pop4:

LOL!

OK, let's blame Cheezy for all those stipulations.....:173go1:

cheezyflier
February 28th, 2010, 10:56

LOL!

actually, i would have killed 2 birds with one stone by using a different solution.
thin the heard with an organized hunt, (less deer on the road to be hit by cars) then put the meat to good use by making stew at the soup kitchens. that way everyone wins! :applause:
but, that's outside the scope of the thread so i won't post that :icon_lol:

OBIO
February 28th, 2010, 12:04
First thing I would buy is a nice little chunk of land out in the country, build a modest Italian style farm-house on the land, then a chicken coup. Bring a nice stock of good egg-laying chickens, and let Deb live her dream of carrying a wicker basket out to the hen house each morning to gather eggs. That has been a dream of hers since she was a little girl and saw The Wizard of Oz for the first time. Every time she sees a basket or a chicken, she gets this look in her eye and I know what she is thinking.

Give some to help abandoned and abused animals, definitely.

OBIO

Willy
February 28th, 2010, 12:45
Under those rules, I'd probably help out the local horse rescues. They're always in a bind for funds.

After that as much as I'd like to own my own airplane, I doubt I would because I'll never get past the medical for a license. So, my flying has to be either on my computer or the back of a horse. So I'd spend a bunch on my horses.

HundertzehnGustav
February 28th, 2010, 12:56
If i won "the Big Buck" and could not "buy something for me" i would offer paying the debts (mortgage, insurance, taxes...) for everyone i know and care about.

Organize 3 months offduty for SOH people and go touring the worlds plane nuts museums with those that wish to join... Dulles or Duxford, Berlin to the N.Y City Aircraft carrier.

Organize 2 months offduty for subsim people and take a tour around the sorlds most famous naval/sub museums. from HMS Victory to U-505 in Chicago...

Then i would get a Job with the Leir foundation, NY...:icon_lol:
Or a Job at one of said Plane Museums.

WarHorse47
February 28th, 2010, 13:06

LOL!

If you take that logic one step further, there may be no correct answers. In most cases anything you donate would be tax deductable, therefore benefiting YOU. :pop4:

--WH

elcamino
February 28th, 2010, 13:15
I'd buy a motel 6 or something along that line, fix and or repair the rooms into one room apartments for the homeless around here.

Bjoern
February 28th, 2010, 14:19
My parents will get some of the money.

Other than that, no idea.

EasyEd
February 28th, 2010, 14:43
Hey All,

I would build curling rinks across America so the USA could learn what a wonderful sport it is!

-Ed-

Cloud9Gal
February 28th, 2010, 14:49
I'd buy a motel 6 or something along that line, fix and or repair the rooms into one room apartments for the homeless around here.

Awwww that's nice! What a great idea! http://freesmileyface.net/smiley/Happy/happy-049.gif (http://freesmileyface.net/Free-Happy-Smileys.html)

Cloud9Gal
February 28th, 2010, 14:52
If i won "the Big Buck" and could not "buy something for me" i would offer paying the debts (mortgage, insurance, taxes...) for everyone i know and care about.

Organize 3 months offduty for SOH people and go touring the worlds plane nuts museums with those that wish to join... Dulles or Duxford, Berlin to the N.Y City Aircraft carrier.

Organize 2 months offduty for subsim people and take a tour around the sorlds most famous naval/sub museums. from HMS Victory to U-505 in Chicago...

Then i would get a Job with the Leir foundation, NY...:icon_lol:
Or a Job at one of said Plane Museums.

Awww! Awesome idea! I like that! (comment I bolded)

http://www.tiptopglobe.com/skin/smile/s10447.gif (http://www.tiptopglobe.com/free-smiles-smileys-emoticons-blog-forum-email)

Ken Stallings
February 28th, 2010, 16:01
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-signs002.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

If you won megabucks at the lottery, what would be the first thing you would buy?

**However, before answering, remember that it can't be something for you, and can't be something the other person needs.

Honest to God -- I just bought it without winning the lottery! They don't make Cessna 310R's any longer. I guess if they did they'd cost about $800,000 to $1 million. So, if that were the case, then I guess I'd buy one new!

I guess I would simply payoff the loan early and perhaps add a few upgrades to the panel.

Cheers,

Ken

Piglet
February 28th, 2010, 16:36
Weapons research
Shipping the homeless off to remote camps
Animal rescues
NRA
Buying out churches and building more animal shelters

In reality, who knows. Just remember, the lives of lottery winners often turn for the worse. What with all the "lost" friends and relatives suddenly hanging around, every one asking for donations and gifts...
Maybe that's why I don't play lotteries. Well, not since I won $500 twenty years ago, and bought a Valment M76 .223 rifle!

FengZ
February 28th, 2010, 17:05
start my own "X" price programs for every subject which the government is too slow to do themselves:

- Space program (this one worked out well already)
- Self-Driving Car
- Alternative fuel vehicles (including planes)
- etc..

-feng

djscoo
February 28th, 2010, 17:24
Those guidelines mess with my plans for an Aston Martin...
Feng seems to be on the right track... I'd probably set up some sort of "Genius Grant" (with the recipients to be determined by me :mixedsmi:). I'd have different categories: Art, Politics, Sociology, Technology. I'd want it to be aimed towards high school and college students.

harleyman
February 28th, 2010, 18:34
Hire the right team to make a proper running *Perfect flight Sim* complete with all the goodies.

Help each and every struggeling member here

Help stamp out cancer

Animal shelters

My Church

The rest to any chairtable orginazation..

I actually dont want for anything but my Tina to be well again...

CADFather
February 28th, 2010, 18:49
I'd probably have just about enough left after giving Uncle Sam his "share" to pay off my remaining medical bills and the money I've had to borrow from my parents just to keep my house and then I'd be broke, again. But hey that's alright I'm used to being broke, and starting to get used to being broken.

cheezyflier
February 28th, 2010, 19:40
i'd set my wife up in business. she wants her own flower shop. she's a great designer. i wish i was able to give her the shot to work for herself.

Silver Fox
February 28th, 2010, 19:56
I'd buy my lady a fully restored Deusenberg. Not for me... and she certainly doesn't need it.

sky pilot
February 28th, 2010, 19:58

No trouble with taht one !
I would help my son all I could as they just told him he has cancer and I alreddy lose one of my kids !

Chacha
February 28th, 2010, 20:25
No trouble with taht one !
I would help my son all I could as they just told him he has cancer and I alreddy lose one of my kids !

...Sky Pilot,

We pray that your son be healed....

...back to the topic :pop4:

jmig
March 1st, 2010, 04:11
Put the money in a trust, then establish a charity with the money.

I would retire and become the director of the chairty. We would look for people who have an idea that looks promising and that would help the world but, they lack the funds to make it work. We would work with them to see they succeed.

lifejogger
March 1st, 2010, 04:24

I would retire and become the director of the chairty. We would look for people who have an idea that looks promising and that would help the world but, they lack the funds to make it work. We would work with them to see they succeed.

Exactly what I would do.

Snuffy
March 1st, 2010, 05:04

AH Ha! But you can't.

The stipulation was that you couldn't benefit from it at all (I'm presuming at anytime in the future either) ... I'm sure that as director, you'd have to be recieving a salary or some compensation from the charity.

To be honest, I don't think there is an exact answer that can be applied to this question ...

cheezyflier
March 1st, 2010, 06:33
Honest to God -- I just bought it without winning the lottery!

that's pretty darn cool that you can say that.:applause:

Blackbird686
March 1st, 2010, 14:11
A Cessna 185 Skywagon... a new one. I love taildraggers. The Cessna 180 is a good plane too, albeit a bit underpowered.

BB686:USA-flag:

jmig
March 1st, 2010, 17:41
AH Ha! But you can't.

The stipulation was that you couldn't benefit from it at all (I'm presuming at anytime in the future either) ... I'm sure that as director, you'd have to be recieving a salary or some compensation from the charity.

To be honest, I don't think there is an exact answer that can be applied to this question ...

Ahhhhh, but who said anything about drawing a salary? ;) All I need take are expenses.

I am sure, a rented, Citation, Condo on Westend Ave, and a BMW 750 are all legitimate expenses. Qui? :icon_lol:

hey_moe
March 1st, 2010, 18:10
:wavey:Screw the rules. I'm a pig....I would have a good time traveling the rest of my life.:applause: